• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padron 1964 Aniversario/Anniversary

c1garfan

Brethren,

Over the course of this year I enjoyed a few vintage Padron 1964 Aniversario's/Anniversary's. These cigars came from my stash of old and rare that I keep for special occasions. These cigars have been sitting in my humidor for the past 14 years. I decided to put all 3 in one review rather than review each separate. This is my holiday gift to you all. Enjoy!

This first Padron is from 1994. I remember when this cigar first hit the market. What a beauty! I bought a box and have been enjoying them ever since. When the cigar first came out Padron called it the Aniversario. You may or may not know that a year or so later the cigar was no longer called the Aniversario, but the Anniversary. This was due to a lawsuit that Padron lost. They lost the lawsuit and lost the right to call the cigar the Aniversario. You may still see boxes in the marketplace that have Aniversario written on them. This is because Padron has a box recycling program and will often reuse old boxes. You will also notice that 2 of the 3 cigars reviewed do not have double bands. This is because a couple years after they debuted, Padron started putting on the second band in an attempt to combat counterfeiting. The original cigar had the single band only.

Generally, cigars improve with age. I have smoked pre Castro Cubans that have been absolutely sublime. The same cannot always be said for the 1964. Many of these cigars are losing their flavor. I am happy to say that I have only found this to be true once, but after speaking to a member of the Padron family I am sad to say it is a reality. For some reason these cigars hit their peak around 10 years or so and then begin to decline. Padron has a stockpile of vintage 1964's that they cannot sell because they have lost their flavor. So, as they say, smoke em if you got em.

Let us begin...

PADRON ANIVERSARIO 1964 CIRCA 1994 - MADURO
DIPLOMATICO
7" X 50

gallery_7858_979_35834.jpg

gallery_7858_979_21325.jpg

gallery_7858_979_7792.jpg

I decided to enjoy the beginning of summer with a very special cigar. Life provides few things more enjoyable than sitting back by the pool basking in the summer sun with a cigar in hand. 83 degrees with a slight breeze. I glanced over at the cigar in my hand. What a gorgeous sight. This cigar has been resting for close to 15 years. Time takes its toll on a cigar and you can see how it has discolored the band. This cigar has lost some of its oils. The wrapper was coarse with no visible veins. The pack was a little loose. I punched the cap and took a few dry pulls. The draw was effortless. The taste of dry hay came through. The wrapper had a stale flavor. I set fire to the foot and off we go. The first few puffs were mild. The draw was good providing ample smoke. This cigar burned quickly due to the slightly loose pack. As I got further into the cigar the strength began to pick up. Toasted nuts accompanied the medium smoke. What a treat! The burn is razor sharp. I can see the remaining oils in the wrapper sizzle as the cherry marches on. The aroma coming from this cigar is incredible. It has a sweet character to it. The cigar hit its peak at the half way mark. I began to taste a bit of spice with the strengthening smoke. The strength is now at a firm medium. Smooth smooth smooth creamy smoke. I cherished every puff knowing this treat wouldn't last forever. I started to approach the final 1/3 of the cigar. The body is now at a medium plus and smooth as ever. The finish remained creamy and the spice picked up a bit. A little after 1 1/2 hours and it was time to say goodbye to this special cigar. I nearly burned my lips smoking it down to the nub. This cigar ranks up there with some of the best 1964's I've ever had.

PADRON ANNIVERSARY 1964 CIRCA 1995 - MADURO
PYRAMID
6 7/8" X 52

gallery_7858_979_33209.jpg

gallery_7858_979_17116.jpg

gallery_7858_979_5263.jpg

At first glance you can see that this is the most interesting size Padron offers. This cigar tapers from a 52 gauge at the foot to a 44 gauge at the head. Again, you can see what time has done to the band. Notice Aniversario has been replaced by Anniversary. A minor change, but a change non the less. This cigar has been resting in my humidor for about 14 years. I brought it out of hibernation to celebrate the wedding of one of my closest friends. Such an event was worthy of such a prized cigar. I was happy to find out the event had an indoor smoking room. I always prefer to smoke a cigar indoors. I feel I loose some of the cigars subtleties outdoors. The lavish smoking room boasted plush leather couches and a top notch ventilation system. Heaven! A few of us sat down, scotch in hand to enjoy the cigars we had with us. I was surrounded by a Cohiba Esplendido and an Opus X. Needless to say I was in good company. Examining the cigar, I found the wrapper to be in good shape, but lacking any oils. Despite the dry appearance, the cigar was in perfect shape. The wrapper was rough with no prominent veins. The wrapper had a slight sour smell to it, but much like a stinky piece of cheese, the type of sour that is pleasing to the senses. The type of sour only an aged cigar can have. Due to the tapered head, I punched the cap with the smallest punch I possess. After a couple dry puffs I knew I was in for a treat. The draw tasted of dry hay and was effortless. The Dupont was lit and I set fire to the foot. Blastoff! The most wonderful mild/medium smoked poured out of the cigar. I could see my friends looking over envious of what I had in my hand. The sweet smell of aged Nicaraguan tobacco filled the room. The taste of toasted nuts and light spice delighted the senses. I can think of very few pleasures in life better than a great cigar among good friends. You could say I was enjoying my time at this wedding. As I made my way past the first 1/3 the smoke picked up a bit to medium body. Chocolate and dark coffee flavors tickled the palate. The sweet flavor of the Macallan 18 in hand complimented the cigar well. At the 1/2 way point the cigar was still full flavored and rich, but not overpowering. The burn begins to speed up due to the cigars unusual shape. 1/2 way into the cigar you are smoking what feels like a corona gorda. Its interesting how the change in size influences the flavor of the smoke. As the cigar tapers it becomes a little hot and the intensity increases. As I pass the 1/2 way point the flavor picks up to a medium plus. The rest of the journey was smooth sailing. Needless to say I smoked the cigar to the nub. It was sad to see the remains of this wonderful cigar in the ashtray. All that remained was the band which I still have to this day.

PADRON ANNIVERSARY 1964 CIRCA 1999 - MADURO
TORPEDO
6" X 52

gallery_7858_979_26270.jpg

gallery_7858_979_5857.jpg

gallery_7858_979_11418.jpg

This time I decided to celebrate the holidays with a torpedo. Another wonderful shape in the Padron arsenal. I find I enjoy figurados more than most other sizes. There is a lot of craftsmanship and artistry that goes into rolling a figurado. Done wrong and you have a disaster. Done right and you have hours of enjoyment. This particular 1964 wasn't as old as the other 2 cigars I reviewed. You can also see the addition of the second band. The bands on this cigar were in good shape. No discoloration detected. The wrapper on this cigar is very different than the two previous cigars. While the wrapper was a maduro, it was far lighter than the previous two. There were also more oils present giving the wrapper a slight sheen. The wrapper was smooooooth with no veins present. The construction was slightly springy to the touch. The head tapered perfectly giving it its coveted torpedo shape. As I smelled the foot I noticed it didn't smell like the other two cigars I had smoked. This cigar had a rich tobacco scent. I could wait no longer to light the cigar. With my Davidoff in hand OFF WITH ITS HEAD! I didn't need to cut too much in order to get the draw I was after. I enjoy a draw that has a bit of resistance. Too loose and you get overwhelmed with smoke. Too tight and you can get a hernia. I like the draw somewhere in the middle. A couple dry pulls reveal rich tobacco flavor. I sparked the Dupont and set fire to the foot. A bit of pepper on the initial draw followed by intense dark roasted coffee. This cigar packed more upfront flavor than the others. While the flavors are strong, the smoke remains smooth. It is a refined intensity found in aged cigars. A young cigar may be intense, but often times the intensity is harsh and unappealing. This cigar is very different in that respect. This cigar represents perfect balance between flavor and strength. Many cigars boast strength for strengths sake ignoring flavor. The 1964 falls on the mild/medium side of the spectrum, accompanied by full flavor. As I approach the 1/2 way point the cigar doesn't do much in terms of changing. So far it has been smooth sailing. I am always blown away by the 1964's construction. The burn is razor sharp with an effortless draw. As I move past the 1/2 way point the cigar tightens a bit. The smoke is creamy with coffee as the dominant flavor. I taste toasted nuts and a sweetness I cant put my finger on. Down to the nub the cigar provided an hour of pure enjoyment. The other two cigars reviewed had a bit more complexity, but you can never go wrong with the 1964. Young or old the 1964 never disappoints and should be a staple in your humidor. I hope you all enjoyed the reviews. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

14 year old PAMs!!!!! :0 :0 :0 :0 :0 :0 :0 :0

Thanks for the reviews. I don't think I could ever keep my hands off these that long. My absolute favorite smokes. :thumbs:

Awesome review. I can honestly say that I would NEVER be able to hold on to them either. I have only a handful left from about 5 years ago. I would say that they will be gone by the middle of the year. And that's a conservative estimate. I wish I had more.

Great trio of reviews, I really enjoyed reading these.

Thank you for the amazing reviews. I lived vicariously through you for a couple of minutes and it was very enjoyable. I will be treating myself to a Padron this evening.

Nice reviews. Lose their flavor... I have some I have been sitting on for over 5 years, I may have to smoke 1 or 2 just to see how they are holding up. There would be nothing sadder than to have aged these for naught.

I suppose the advice to smoke 'em if you got 'em applies to even those sticks we'd prefer to savor.

--Tony

This is truly a benchmark review that documents the performance of very early release and high age Padron Aniversarios. Well done on submitting such an important review.

I've not smoked any Anni's with quite this much age but I do have one or two soldiers left from the late 1990s. When they're gone, they're gone.

Thank you for sharing and for bringing us down memory lane to the very birth of these legendary cigars.

Wilkey

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I was not aware of the history of the Padron Anniversary line. What a fantastic post :thumbs:

Great reviews! What I would do to get my hands on one that old. You sir, are a lucky man!

thanks for the great read! :thumbs:

Excellent! Thanks so much for sharing, thoroughly enjoyed reading these and getting a glimpse of what was. :D

I'm jealous.

One of my favorite smokes as well, but how in the world could you rest them that long!? I know I couldn't. :thumbs:

Nice review! Makes me wanna buy 5 Torpedo's separate to set aside to smoke 1 every 3 years. Man that would be sweet :cool:

great review. There's nothing I like to here more of than an 'oldie catchin a spark.

Thanks again

Art

WOW.....super aged Padrons. Thanks for sharing the reviews and the pics.

One of my favorite smokes.

Marvellous reviews. I only hope I can sit on the few Imperials I have for a few years. Certainly won't be easy.

This is truly a benchmark review that documents the performance of very early release and high age Padron Aniversarios. Well done on submitting such an important review.

I've not smoked any Anni's with quite this much age but I do have one or two soldiers left from the late 1990s. When they're gone, they're gone.

Thank you for sharing and for bringing us down memory lane to the very birth of these legendary cigars.

Wilkey

I couldn't agree more with these comments. This really is an important review and should be read by anyone who appreciates these fantastic cigars. What a treat. Thanks for sharing.

Awesome review. I really enjoyed reading it. You know you're reading a good review when you can picture yourself smoking the reviewed stick. A+++

Generally, cigars improve with age. I have smoked pre Castro Cubans that have been absolutely sublime. The same cannot always be said for the 1964. Many of these cigars are losing their flavor. I am happy to say that I have only found this to be true once, but after speaking to a member of the Padron family I am sad to say it is a reality. For some reason these cigars hit their peak around 10 years or so and then begin to decline. Padron has a stockpile of vintage 1964's that they cannot sell because they have lost their flavor. So, as they say, smoke em if you got em.

I have to strongly disagree. I've had a number of early and mid 1990's Padróns, and I did not find that they were "losing their flavor" any more or any less than any other marca.

I'm aging the Millenniums that I'm sitting on until 2010 for a reason... I expect them to be fantastic to my tastes by then.

Who @ Padrón told you that they have a stockpile of 1964s that they can't sell? This doesn't make much sense to me, as these cigars have always been in high demand since their introduction. It seems rather unlikely to me that they are sitting on stockpiles of a cigar line that retailers grovel to obtain... at what point would they ever have had a surplus?

PADRON ANNIVERSARY 1964 CIRCA 1995 - MADURO
PYRAMID

This cigar is actually from 1999 or later, not 1995. Take a look at the printing on the band... they switched it from "Anniversario" to "Anniversary" in 1999.

PADRON ANNIVERSARY 1964 CIRCA 1999 - MADURO
TORPEDO

This cigar is actually from 2001 or later, not 1999. The second band in evidence on this cigar wasn't used until February 2001.