• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padron Executive Maduro

cigardawg

Last night, my Mate and I opened a bottle of wine and retired to the smoking room with cigars. I chose a Padron Executive Maduro that was dated 10/1/98. That's right, I have been aging this $6 stick for the last 7+ years.

Padron Executive Maduro

The cellophane on this cigar was yellowed from the oils in the wrapper. I carefully removed the plastic and took a deep breath to gauge the nose. The cigar had a sweet wood/earth bouquet with helpings of peat on the side. Now, I must admit, the maduro wrapper was not very attractive. It was very mottled, not the pure dark that is a broadleaf. This Nicaraguan maduro looked to be just what it was, sun grown and natural. There were no appreciable veins and the seams were almost invisible. I clipped it with my Il Corona and tested the draw. Perfect. :thumbs: So far so good.

I put the torch to it and it lit almost instantly...like the cigar wanted to be smoked. I once again tested the draw and it remained...perfect. Small puffs were all that were needed to pull out abundant mouthfuls of rich, thick smoke. Smoke what was, indeed, just right for smoke rings. :p The ash on this cigar was very firm and burned a clean, bright white color. The burn was even throughout the smoke...all the way down this 7 1/2 inch cigar. The smoke stayed cool thoughout, never heating up. This was a very pleasant and easy cigar to smoke.

Ahhh, now we get to my favorite part...the taste. This cigar is good fresh. It smokes very well right off the truck. However, with this amount of age on it, I felt as if I were smoking a 1964 Anniversary Diplomatico Maduro. The flavors were all there. There was a hint of spiciness on initial lighting followed by rich flavors of coffee/sweet spice/cocoa. The flavors were huge, filling the mouth very similar to the way a "big" cab. sav. does. Full bodied? Absolutely. Strong? No. The smoke was smooth as well, just plain feeling good in the mouth. The biggest difference between this cigar and a PAM was the finish. It did not have that ultra-smooth finish of a PAM.

I haven't done a review in a while, but this cigar was good enough to prompt one out of me. I have a few more of these from '98 and '01. I hope they are as good as this one. As for this cigar, I rate it a very strong A .

Awesome.

One of the best padrons I ever had was a 4k with about 5 years on it. It smoked better than a fresh PAM.

Haven't had a 1000 series Padron in a while. Today is a good day.

cigardawg said:
However, with this amount of age on it, I felt as if I were smoking a 1964 Anniversary Diplomatico Maduro. The flavors were all there. There was a hint of spiciness on initial lighting followed by rich flavors of coffee/sweet spice/cocoa. The flavors were huge, filling the mouth very similar to the way a "big" cab. sav. does. Full bodied? Absolutely. Strong? No. The smoke was smooth as well, just plain feeling good in the mouth. The biggest difference between this cigar and a PAM was the finish. It did not have that ultra-smooth finish of a PAM.
[snapback]274550[/snapback]​

Outstanding! It seems like Padron has the magic for fresh and aged sticks. That time can work such wonders on a $6 Nicaraguan is just amazing. Is it any wonder I'm a fan like you?

Great, delicious review. :thumbs:

Great review.... :thumbs: 64's / 26's are great, to be sure, but the "K" series are quickly becoming one of my favorite smokes.

Not too long ago, I posted a review about a Padron 2K with a few months of humi time on it. It was...awesome. Seems the Padron sticks respond < very > well to some down time.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Great review! Padrons are by far and away my favorite brand. Great everyday cheap smokes in the 2-6 k's and awesome pre aged out of the box smokes in the 64's, 26's. No-brainer's. I've never even thought about aging a cigar that long, and I've heard alot of people saying that long is too long. Glad to see it isn't true.

Jason

Great review Cigardawg. Once agains proves that Padron consistantly puts out a variety of outstanding sticks that only get better with some downtime in the humi. Reading this I already was savoring a quite rested PAM 1964 Principe (with Young's Double Chocolate Stout) & was once again reminded how ANY Padron only gets even better with some age.

Great review sounds like the best thing to do with that $6.00 cigar was hide it away.