• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Palio CigarPass cutter contest

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
I purchased a Palio CigarPass cutter for John @jfields but he got one for me and himself so I am having a contest to give one to a deserving member. It will come from Rod @Rod as he has it in his possession, new in the box.

Most of us crotchety old bastards have had the pleasure of using a Palio cutter so I would like to award this to someone who may not have had the opportunity yet, anyone who has never had a Palio is eligible.

You must be a member for a minimum of 4 months and be in good standing.

The contest is to guess the total points scored in the week 10 game on November 12th at 1PM EST between the Steelers and Packers. Closest to the total points wins. As a tie-breaker, also guess the point differential. If something changes between now and then (like the Steelers get a real coach) you may edit your original post, once, and mark it as ETA (Edited To Add). Remember ..... only one edit ...... I'm too old to go back through and scrutinize.

For example, if the Steelers win 35-6 for a total of 41, and someone guesses 39 and someone guesses 43, whoever guesses closest to the 29 point differential wins.

Last edited:
Someone is going to be very happy with the winnings on this one. Thos Palio CP cutters are really nice.

Great contest. Thanks for doing this!

(Also: Wrong forum, noob.)

I purchased a Palio CigarPass cutter for John @jfields but he got one for me and himself so I am having a contest to give one to a deserving member. It will come from Rod @Rod as he has it in his possession, new in the box.

Most of us crotchety old bastards have had the pleasure of using a Palio cutter so I would like to award this to someone who may not have had the opportunity yet, anyone who has never had a Palio is eligible.

You must be a member for a minimum of 4 months and be in good standing.

The contest is to guess the total points scored in the week 10 game on November 12th at 1PM EST between the Steelers and Packers. Closest to the total points wins. As a tie-breaker, also guess the point differential. If something changes between now and then (like the Steelers get a real coach) you may edit your original post, once, and mark it as ETA (Edited To Add). Remember ..... only one edit ...... I'm too old to go back through and scrutinize.

For example, if the Steelers win 35-6 for a total of 41, and someone guesses 39 and someone guesses 43, whoever guesses closest to the 29 point differential wins.
Your contest... your rules Jeff. Great obe at that.
But on guessing a total... it is common knowledge. and practice. that.. It's the closet without going over the total. If everyone is over.... then it's the closest to the total. Eliminates a tie breaker.
Like in your examle of 41. You have a 39 and a 43... 39 wins as they did not go over. Even if someone had 12 and some one had 42.... 12 wins as they didn't go over. That is the common and understood formula. Your tie break can be used if more thaan one has the exact same number. Again your contest... but there is a formally accepted formula called closest without going over.

Your contest... your rules Jeff. Great obe at that.
But on guessing a total... it is common knowledge. and practice. that.. It's the closet without going over the total. If everyone is over.... then it's the closest to the total. Eliminates a tie breaker.
Like in your examle of 41. You have a 39 and a 43... 39 wins as they did not go over. Even if someone had 12 and some one had 42.... 12 wins as they didn't go over. That is the common and understood formula. Your tie break can be used if more thaan one has the exact same number. Again your contest... but there is a formally accepted formula called closest without going over.
Don't overthink it Dan, you may hurt yourself.😁

Nahh... it's a formula that's been used since before I dicovered fire. I debated on not even bothering you with it because ... well... you're Jeff.
Care to explain the logic in that formula?

Should have gone with your first thought.😁

What did I not explain ..or what in my explanation did you not understand?

So everyone picks their total. Any number that goes above the actual game total is out. It's the closest to the number with out going over the actual total.
41 is the end game total.
you have guesses of:

35 wins because 42 went over the actual 41. You see that eleminates the 43 and 39 in your scenerio both being 2 points away, hence you need a tiebreaker to decide it, where at the commonly used formula of "closest with out guessing over" the actual total doesn;t need the TB. I didn't make this up.... it's been ised for ever... it's even on cave drawings. 😎