• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Paterno fired at Penn State

mu mike

It's not a lie if you believe it.
What sad state of affairs for Penn State, but they had to let him go. The whole thing is disgusting, from the President, to the AD, to the head coach, to the grad assistant, to the janitors... blame lies in so many places.

But more so, it's so sad for the alleged victims. There were numerous adults who didn't do enough to protect them.

He should have retired when he had the chance. Now his football legacy will be clouded with this scandal.

I feel for the victims, but this is a terrible reputation to go down with whenever he wasn't the actual perpetrator.

He wasn't the perpetrator, but at the end of the day he protected the interests of a pedophile instead of looking out for the interests of the victim who could not stand up for himself. And by doing so, who knows how many other poor children became victims of this sick individual? Firing him was the right thing to do. And, yeah, if he is legacy is tarnished, or ruined, then so be it. It pales in significance to the horrific crimes commited, and lives ruined, by the friend he tried to protect.

He wasn't the perpetrator, but at the end of the day he protected the interests of a pedophile instead of looking out for the interests of the victim who could not stand up for himself. And by doing so, who knows how many other poor children became victims of this sick individual? Firing him was the right thing to do. And, yeah, if he is legacy is tarnished, or ruined, then so be it. It pales in significance to the horrific crimes commited, and lives ruined, by the friend he tried to protect.

It really pains me to see it end this way for him. Even just 24 hrs ago I was of a different frame of mind on this. After spending several hours reading up on it all, it appears that Joe was complicit in the coverup to protect his job, or his friend, or the university... I don't know. The only ones he didn't protect are the victims. He may not have outright spread the lies of twisted the truth, but he knew that was going on and he did nothing to blow the whistle or to stop it. It saddens me, but you are 100% correct on this.

Someone give me the Readers Digest version?? Creepy old coach molests athletes? (and if it's a college, they're being incorrecty labeled as "kids" IMO)

Also, Kann, your avatar rules dude.

Someone give me the Readers Digest version?? Creepy old coach molests athletes? (and if it's a college, they're being incorrecty labeled as "kids" IMO)

Jon,

These weren't college athletes that were being molested. These were boys from 7 to 13 years of age from a charitable foundation this monster created to "help" these boys.

Oh wow, you're kidding me?!? Geez, guys like that need to go down... That's awful to hear. I regularly investigate sex crimes, and the hardest part is the victims' psychological trauma. Much worse than what happened to them for the brief time that the actual crimes occur. So this coach was the one doing all of this?

Eta: Oh wow. I can't believe that. Sad times we live in indeed. Did some reading, it's terrible.

Link to the story headlines.

http://tracking.si.com/category/jerry-sandusky/?sct=cf_t11_a13

Thanks GTA. I grabbed a timeline report from HuffPost. Can't believe this fell through multiple personnel's laps including University PD and municipal PD. It's terrible when due diligence falls by the wayside. Even the District Attorney cleared him of one case. I just had a sex assault case pop up on my desk of a guy I filed charges on three years ago, and the attorneys office denied my case and filed no charges. This is the third report occurrence on this guy, so hopefully they will realize a pattern here. Sad that it takes so much for something like this to finally gain traction.

He should have retired when he had the chance. Now his football legacy will be clouded with this scandal. I feel for the victims, but this is a terrible reputation to go down with whenever he wasn't the actual perpetrator.

He wasn't the actual perpetrator, but he certainly wasn't any more innocent. I can't imagine how he could sleep at night knowing that a guy he coached with for a long time was doing this at the college facilities. And how in God's name did JoPa not ensure this made it to the police? The whole thing smacks of wanting to keep it quiet to protect Sandusky and the program. JoPa enabled it to happen to more children, that is why he is just as guilty in my mind. I hope Sandusky enjoys General Population.

Read the grand jury report - it will make you want to puke. The problem as I see it is, PSU thought they were above the law and they could handle all this stuff internally. How any of the people involved can sleep at night is beyond me. I predicted a week ago when this broke, someone will try to commit suicide over this. Not sure who, but somebody will have too many demons bouncing around in their head. For Joe pa to say he passed it on to his boss is total BS. He was the boss at PSU. There is plenty to read out there, but see this article in April of this year by a Pittsburgh sports talk show. http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mark_madden/madden-sandusky-a-state-secret/article_863d3c82-5e6f-11e0-9ae5-001a4bcf6878.html

Sad way to end your career!

What were they thinking? Sad that so many kids were hurt by this guy, when it could have been stopped in 2002!

It's caused some interesting and polarizing water cooler conversation around here. I wonder if and how long PSU knew about Sandusky's private little secret. That guy was the heir apparent to Joe Pa at one time, yet 'retired' in 1999 at age 57. Why? Was there something going on back then? Could be totally unrelated, but I would like to see these questions answered.

I think you're going to learn more about Paterno and the culture that existed in Happy Valley as the days go by, and it's not going to be complimentary. They existed in a cocoon, making rules as they saw fit. Here is a good article by a PSU alum talking about how the football program operated in a bubble, and as a result, how this scandal was handled really shouldn't surprise anyone.

http://weblogs.balti...on_paterno.html

If the rumor about letting Sandusky retire in return for a cover up is true, Penn State football should cease to exist.

I'm not so sure it shouldn't anyway.

Those students rioting last night should be ashamed of themselves.

If the other rumor going around is true...

I can't really think of anything else to say. I just don't even really want to think about it.

OK, I thought of something else to say:

This creep's foundation needs to be fully investigated and it's Board of Directors need to be taken to task for their "investigation" that cleared this piece of shit. It also needs to be shut down.

This is just absolutely reprehensible on all levels.

If the rumor about letting Sandusky retire in return for a cover up is true, Penn State football should cease to exist.

I'm not so sure it shouldn't anyway.

Those students rioting last night should be ashamed of themselves.

If the other rumor going around is true...

I can't really think of anything else to say. I just don't even really want to think about it.

OK, I thought of something else to say:

This creep's foundation needs to be fully investigated and it's Board of Directors need to be taken to task for their "investigation" that cleared this piece of shit. It also needs to be shut down.

This is just absolutely reprehensible on all levels.

Guaranteed that about 50% of those students didn't even know why they were rioting. Mob mentality is pretty scary. Did they even think about how they were rioting over being angry at someone getting fired for not exposing a pedophile?? No, it was just the "cool" thing to do and post on Youtube. Sad.

And I agree with everyone else about this story just getting started. Based on what has already come out, there is no way it was only limited to what we have heard so far. This guy has a deeply deeply rooted problem and he will receive his due punishment in General Population.

[
Guaranteed that about 50% of those students didn't even know why they were rioting. Mob mentality is pretty scary. Did they even think about how they were rioting over being angry at someone getting fired for not exposing a pedophile?? No, it was just the "cool" thing to do and post on Youtube. Sad.

And I agree with everyone else about this story just getting started. Based on what has already come out, there is no way it was only limited to what we have heard so far. This guy has a deeply deeply rooted problem and he will receive his due punishment in General Population.

That's more than sad if true, and I don't think it's entirely true. These students have to know what's going on with this story. It's one of the biggest stories in the country right now and their very small part of the world is the center of it. I grew up in a similar college town. Believe me, EVERYONE knows what's going on when even the smallest scandal breaks at the University.

I'll give you that some were caught up in the mob mentality once things got ugly, but there were a whole lot of students demonstrating in support of Paterno before they started turning over cars.

Some students are even making jokes about the whole thing.

This whole thing is depraved and disgusting. I'm sorry if I'm coming across a little heated, but this kind of stuff really gets to me.