• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Patience, my dear friends...

vewyphishy

The Original Smoking Fish
Hey guys,

In light of the dampening mood around CP, I just wanted to share one man's view of the big picture. Yeah, that one man would be me. Sorry to get your hopes up, if you were thinking it was gonna be otherwise. :p

After reading numerous threads, both the hot topics and the (what is now) side topics... I've noticed an underlying frustration evident in many members (mainly ones who've been here at least a few months). I'm one of these members. In my opinion (and feel free to tell me that I speak for myself), the frustration lies in the inconsistancy of the site (not the physical site, but CP as a community) and the participation of its members. What I've stated in another thread, I'll reiterate here.

CP has grown a lot in terms of members these past few months. It takes times for these new wrinkles to smooth themselves out. When CP wasn't growing as fast, the newbies who came along weren't enough to really rock the boat (unintentionally, of course). There were always good ole FOGs there to correct the mistakes and show the way. If need be, they'd be the big brother and deliver a good smack to the back of the head, when necessary. Now... there are a lot more newbies. That's a good sign. Our community is growing. But with growth comes growing pains. A lot more newbies means a lot more mistakes being made (again, for the most part... unintentional). Now, there ARE enough newbies who's mistakes compound and rock the boat, as we've seen in quite a few threads lately.

I understand that some of the behavior that's taking place in the passes, lotteries, bombing runs, etc. is off. Something needs to be said... and we're definitely not short on guys who will sack up and tell like it is. That's something to be thankful for, because you don't want a problem to continue festering there unaccounted for. However, with that said, a degree of tact should be implored as to not put forth the feeling of (and I quote from the greatest western of our time - Wild Wild West *sarcasm*) "shoot first, shoot last, and then try to ask questions when everyone's dead." That sort of defeats the whole warm and fuzzy feeling that CP is supposed to give off.

Up to this point, it seems as if I'm just documenting what's been happening. That's part truth. The point I'm trying to make is that this is just a phase. I'm sure most other forums and bulletin boards go through this too. What's saddened me the most these past few days is not the flaring of tempers and the finger pointing, but the result of these things. When I first joined, something happened with MikeDevilsFan and he seemed to just disappear. I thought it was just a fluke type thing. And for a while, I was happy to know that it was. But now... we've chased away guys like Tschoon and pissed off guys like Dixie to the point where he feels its better off to leave all together. For a second, I thought we had run off Toaster too. These are just the ones that have openly stated their departure. Who knows how many other members have gotten so disgusted with the recent events that they've made a quiet exit? For those who stick around, what fun will it be if no one is playing in the lottery? Or box passes? Or anything else? If invite-only is the only method left, doesn't that reduce CP into an elitist organization?

My wish is that those who are here... stay here. Play here. Grow here. With growth comes growing pains... but with growing pains comes progress. It would be a shame for CP to take a step in the wrong direction after all the work was put in to make it such an inviting and wonderful place. CP is unique from the rest. I, and many others, could've joined other boards and become regulars there... instead we chose CP. For me, it was because it was a small, rather tight knit community with some interesting personalities thrown in for good measure.

One last note. I'd really think it would serve the community well if we had a standard agreed upon "value" list for cigars. I preached it in the chatrooms, but I was looked at like some kind of leper. Oh wait, thats how they look at me normally... hmm. No matter. The point of this list being obvious. Everyone has a different opinion as to what dog rockets, mid-range, high-end, and super premiums are. With a standardized list, if you (or anyone else) has a question of worth or fairness... Look at the list. Don't know if you're Puts and Takes look right? Look at the list. Not sure if you have a "high-end" stick for a lottery payoff... Look at the list. This takes out the subjectivity, and hopefully minimizes conflict, at least in this regard. Now if you just like to throw stones *cough cough*... well, you're on your own.

I'll shut up now and see what you guys have to say... if anything.

I understand your point about the "list". I found when I started here that I would check everything I did with the past host and a FOG before I did or posted anything. That includes trades, bombs, ect. QUICK AND SIMPLE!

I had thought about taking some time to compose a well thought out post like vewy just did but ya know what? He said it better than I could. Excellent job and Joe M. (one of our "Masters" :love: ) gave an excellent, simple piece of sage advice.

Thank you to the both of you ;)

Well you knew I would.

I agree whole heartedly with 99.99999% of your post. ;)

Me and the fish had a little side chat about this and I see his point, and as I told him "get your ass on it"!! :p

I hope you are right and things level off to where they were when I first joined.

This high end lottery is kind of like getting a yacht. If you have to ask how much, you can't afford it.

In my other group (real life not computer) as a newbie, I do not make a move or say boo without a sponsor. Advise to be pondered here.

Alph Chomper said:
This high end lottery is kind of like getting a yacht. If you have to ask how much, you can't afford it.
That's one way to look at it :)

Cool! And here I thought he would just offer us some more of that tasty shut up juice. :sign: :sign: :sign:

I couldn't agree more. It is hard to absorb so many knew people so quickly and so often. I do see FOG's (of which I am decidedly not one of) from time to time get a little annoyed at having the same things crop up over and over all the time. It's hard. I myself don't post often but I like to help where I feel I can add something usefull. I have to admit at just not making effort at times though because I didn't feel like covering something yet again and left it to others to answer or take care of. I should do better myself and help the fog's out a little more if I happen to be qualified (A nice little disclaimer loophole that still gets me out of most cigar related topics).

The list is a good idea. Perhaps someone has access to offical manufactures retail price suggestions? Perhaps a web page that can be kept a little cleaner and uncluttered then a thread would ultimately end up being??

Very good points Phishy!!

Can I get an Amen!!

Oops! Already had an Amen!

You know I really can't improve at all on what Michael has already said, and I don't want to thread jack this in the slightest. I did make a post in another thread earlier that I thought I might repost here if there are no objections to kind of go along on this subject. I want to re-emphasize that this is in no way directed at anyone, it's just something I feel is important for all of us to keep in mind.

You know I don't weigh in on stuff all that often. All you have to do is look at my posts compared to my member number to see that, lost posts in the past or not. It really has been a shame though to see so many people getting bent out of shape over just cigars. You know my old saying, "Cigars Are Fun."

One of the problems seems to me to be that we are communicating on a board through the written form and it can be difficult to get nuances accross to others in our writing. So much of human expresion is facial expressions, vocal tone, body language and such. As Randy says though it is very easy to get feelings hurt without all the additional input we are used to in day to day conversations.

I myself have to be very careful of this. I personally use sarcasm a great deal in my usual conversations. It's quite well known to most that know me. This is very hard to express in writing though so I have to be careful to avoid this when comunicating in print. I had to learn this the hard way I'm afraid. I worked for a while at a job that was very stressful and the different shift communicated and passed along a great deal of info through a communication log. You think it's easy to step on someones toes with a fun subject like cigars?? Try it in a high stress job!

Now I am in no way singling anyone out, or accusing anyone of anything. I also know that a lot of whats seen on the threads after things boil over is just the end result of something that probably started in PM's with a much different tone at that time. The thing I used to try and do when at work was refrain from responding to an entry that pissed me off until towords the end of my shift rather then right as I walked in and first started reading. That way I would have a whole shift to think, relax, learn more details elswhere, perhaps talk to the person in person, or at the very least be a whole lot more tired when I finally did sit down to write and be too tired to be as upset.

The thing to do above all else though is try to remember that Cigars Are Fun, and that extra care and thought should to be taken when saying something in print rather then the way we would say things in person. Hopefully this will keep toes from being stepped on and keep the defensive reactions and over reactions to a minimum.

Just my 2 cents worth, I could be way off base and out of line here. Please rember also I am in no way accusing anyone of anything.

Cigars Are Fun!!

It's too bad to see erruptions like this at CP. But you know what, it happens. And for anyone to leave CigarPass.com and go to another site, I hate to break the news to you, but CP hosts the tamest and friendliest cigar forum out there.

Let's (as always) learn from this lesson and move on to having fun again. If anyone ever has questions about what is appropriate and whats not, just ask, no one will yell at you or make you feel stupid, and if they do, just let one of the mod's know. ;)

CP will continue to grow; I will not allow this site to sit idle. If we wanted CP to be a real small and "elite" group, then I would close all membership and make this a pay site. I don't see that happening...

For those who have decided to leave, I'm sorry you made that decission. Unfortunately I can only do so much. I hate to see anyone leave this site. Hopefully one day you will reconsider and come back, if not, then all the best to you.

Regards,

Rod
Site Administrator & Founder

Well said Vewyphishy. It's reading posts like that that helped me out before I made my first post. We need to take links to all of these "posted pearls" and pin them in an area for all FNG's to access easily and read.

In the fire department I think there is sincere learning to be had for our rookies to understand the history of the department and the old FOG's who built it to what it is today. The same goes for the newbies on this site.

In support of Vewyphishy and many others that have made the same discovery, history is simply repeating itself. Every 3 to 5 years, our fire department gets a new batch of firefighters in, all energetic and gung-ho to show their stuff, but pissing off a lot the FOGS in the process. Both sides should remember, FOGS need the new blood to carry on the work and FNG's need to tow their line and give the FOGs respect that is due. The experience and knowledge they gain from the FOGS,whether they realize it at the time our not, is PRICELESS. BUT.....FOGS should please remember that they were once FNG's too, and there comes a time where they must take the time and patience to educate the new cycle of FNG's as once was done for them. It's work, but that is their lineage, their duty, and that should hold true here at CP as well.

I'm not shy, I speak my mind and for a FNG, I should shut up more often. But, I would like to express that I love this flippen' place and ALL of the people in it and would go no where else. Sure, I will probobly get too big for my boots someday and piss a lot of people off, but sh*t happens and I will appologize until my humidor is empty! :p

I have enjoyed my PM's with guys like Joe, Bill and others who have been kind enough to help an FNG. Their willingness to offer advice and friendship is what makes this board what it is.

I'm just saying thanks, stuff happens, and on behalf of the FNG's, THANK YOU for sticking with it and making CP what it is and will ALWAYS be!

I'm shutting up now.

Darin

have to say that compared to cA boards, esp. the "Cuba and Cuban Cigars", huys here are like kitty kats. (not to knock any other cA board members as I have learned a lot there as well).
though I have also noticed a shift in things there too.

for a list, that would be a good idea, as I know that I have been at fault for a mismatch a few times (2-3).

would like a gen consensus somehow though. the tobacco tax in WI is 25%, so one stick may be $12.50 for me, while it is $10.50 for someone else.

I guess I would propose a grouping then w/in ranges of:

2-4 cheapies, but not dogs
4-6 mid range good sticks
5/6-9 higher mid range (this extra one prob. not needed)
8-12 high end premium
12 and up very high end

middle/lower ISOMs
higher end ISOMs

though there could be mixing between the high end dom. and ISOMs
maybe these are too many categories though, but that way you could say, I have a stick from group 3 and trading it for another in the group 3/4 range, as of course there may be some overlapping.

I would like to say that I agree with everything Rod said expecially someone wont make you feel stupid, I can do that all by myself thank you very much. :D and also agree 110 % with the list , where do we start.
:D

Well said Rod. ;) CP is by far the most civilized ( or maybe polite is a better word) site than any I have seen :thumbs:

Ok my turn, i was welcomed very heartily when I first logged on,everyone told me Hi ! etc. I started reading some of the posts that happened ex/ Tschoon & Csurfer, and the "Lotto" . I've got to be honest it scared the heck out of me, I mean I know the difference in a cojimar flavor, and a VSG, or a Davidoff etc, but it's still abit daunting to think about wading in,and getting called on the carpet royally, and publicly for being "green" . i know some of these posts were about people that weren't quite as "newbie" as some, etc. I do agree w/ some that a PM might have been more tactful, but @ the same time. public flogging, and being put in the stocks did help cut crime etc, in the "olden days" i know that seems like yesterday for some of you FOGS( just kidding ). I guess despite everything I'm still here,and still find myself logging on several times a day when i can, or when i get off work @ night. I'm not going anywhere b/c it seems to be a genuinely nice place, w/ some nice people. but like anywhere there's always one or two that just don't get along. later guys.

Happiness is a ocean breeze, a cabin girl in your lap, and toasting a CAO !

Pirate,
If I'm reading your post correctly. Your saying the post about tschoon was not called for? I'm not really sure. I read it 3 times. The only thing I really see is maybe you think I didn't PM tschoon before I posted that thread? Well I did several times. Believe you me, my purpose was not a public flogging. But you are intitled to your opinion ( if that's what it was) about my actions here at CP. This is your house as well as anybody's. If tschoon was a friend of yours, you have everyright to express that too. If you have questions about me, feel free to ask. I will talk to anyone at anytime about anything I know. That's why I come here. To gain knowlege and BS with BoTL! I do appologize if I " scared you to Death" defending the people and place I care about.

And Welcome to CP!

I do want to say however... (and I don't feel it'sm my job to start a thread on this) but tschoon did make it right with Melly after all was said and done. And I am going to say, I sure didn't think it would happen. But I am glad I was wrong about that. And I will leave it at that.

Some times a step back is worth 3 steps forward.

Some times, if you didn't talk to both sides of a disagreement, you should shut up and not weigh in.

Some times, if you are new, jumping head first into the water isn't the best thing to do.

Some times, if you are new, jumping head first into the water is the best thing to do.

Some times beating a dead horse isn't necessacery, and silence is golden.

Some times public flogging is needed, but most of the time it isn't.

Some times the Beast is right, and even less times do I agree with him even when he is right. ;)

Some times the best thing to do is to leave.

Some times, if you aren't sure you should ask.

Emo