• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Phone interview tips

Smokin'Sims

Gettin' my nerd on, Hopp Schwiez!
I have a phone interview scheduled for tomorrow. Does anyone have any useful tips?

Make sure you hold in the "MUTE" button on the phone while you flush. :whistling:

Don't eat potato chips during the call. :whistling:

Use a land line, not a cell phone. Have some notes in front of you so you can ask whatever questions you need to ask and give whatever information to the interviewer that they need. You have an advantage in a phone interview.

Use a phone far away from the front, back or any other outside door. You don't want unexpected company interrupting you.

Make sure anybody else who might be in the house understands the importance of this call.

Drug the dog. :)

Speak slowly, answer briefly but not yes or no if you can(if you can't, the interviewer is either asking something specific or isn't very good). Try not to say "um". Don't ramble.

Speak slowly, answer briefly but not yes or no if you can(if you can't, the interviewer is either asking something specific or isn't very good). Try not to say "um". Don't ramble.

Agreed. Think your words out before you say them, and talk less than more. I've done a ton of phone interviews and been hired from them (fairly common practice in telecom contracting).

A shot of whiskey to steady your nerves and calm your tongue really isn't a terrible idea either, I've heard...

Use a landline if possible, eliminate any distractions, turn off volume from computers, alarm clocks, cell phones, etc. have a charged cell phone as backup in case of an issue. Speak clearly and with purpose. Don't breathe into the phone. Make sure your voicemail message is professional just in case. Have a computer with a quiet keyboard in front of you just in case. They really aren't that bad.

I always wear a tie to a phone interview.

Also, know something about the company, and ask intelligent questions that really interest you. They have to be positive questions. Not, "I heard the owner likes to have sex with goats, is this true?"

Company's listen for key words. Family is VERY important, it shows commitment. Also use examples of group projects you've done in the past, and tell them you enjoy working and working overtime is not a problem to get the job done. I can't stress how important family is and how few people hit on it..

Most interviews are now "behavioral" based interviews. Try to answer all the of the questions in the S.T.A.R format. (Situation, Task, Action, Result.) Use previous real life examples of how you have handled situations rather than what you would hypothetically do. Be very specific with your answers.

Do some research on the company. You should be able to find their core values online somewhere. If you can tie in some of your answers around these values you will stand out. You might also be able to find common interview questions for the company that is interviewing you. Do you mind if I ask what type of company this is?

Finally...relax. Most phone interviews are for the most part not very in depth. Good luck!

Company's listen for key words. Family is VERY important, it shows commitment. Also use examples of group projects you've done in the past, and tell them you enjoy working and working overtime is not a problem to get the job done. I can't stress how important family is and how few people hit on it..

That depends on what you do, I guess. In my line of work if you tell them you're single and unnattached you can actually hear them drooling.

A list of facts is a GREAT idea, you want to have questions and answers written down. Just be careful to not sound like you're reading. I would write down key points and have something in mind of what you want to say. This list keeps your emotions out of it.

Good luck!

Have extra lube handy!

...and be sure to ask them if they like 'black leather'!

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll get my list of questions written down before I forget.

I guess to explain my situation a little, I currently have a one year contract as a visiting assistant professor of biochemistry that expires in August. They are hiring for a tenure-track position for the job I currently have, but I am not guaranteed the position. I am applying to help insure that I won't be unemployed at the end of August. The chair of the department understands this and is supportive of me looking for other positions. So I'm going to do the interview during my lunch break in my office.

This part made me think, "I survived grad school where I thought a 10-11 hour day was a short day and had at least one 15-18 hour day every week to two weeks. I think working to get the job done is understood because all grad students should work those hours."

I think it fine. I answered all their questions relating them to past experiences. They said they would finish phone interviews and let me know if I get an onsite interview by the end of next week. We'll see how it goes.