• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Planted some hops

That's awesome! Take pics as they grow, if you don't mind.

Absolutely! I'm pretty excited to see how things turn out. Prob won't get much by way of a harvest this year, but you never know!

Did you already build the trellis for them to climb?

Not yet. I did a lot of reading and decided to go with planting them in containers. That way I can move them to a good sunny spot once they break through. Found a couple of articles online from people who have used square tomato cages and trained the bines to spiral around the cage. Going to give that a go. Its all experimental at this point.

I grew them for a few years and then found out I had Celiac, so I stopped homebrewing. That was 5 years ago. I finally took my trellis down this year. I let me bro-in-law take them although I don't know how well the transplant took. I liked using the hops for dry hopping, especially when they were fresh because I didn't really know how potent they were. Pretty easy to grow as long as you pay attention and trim them back so only three or four of the shoots grow to full size.

How did the Vino fatta en Casa come out? I Don't remember seeing a post.

Doc

Anyone else grow their own hops? Just planted some Chinook and Cascade. We'll see how it goes!

I do. Nothing big. One Cascade plant. Last year was the first real harvest, got 4oz dried. Looking forward to seeing what I get out of them this year.

Do the plants themselves smell like the hops?

Might plant some for just the smell if they do give off a pleasant scent.

Man rule #4: When being given the business, don't respond with facts.;)

Doc

Nah, they smell like roses, genius.:D:D

Doc

Haaaaa!

Actually, Scap, in general the hop flowers aren't as fragrant as you'd expect until the flowers are crushed, pressed or rubbed. Doing so releases the lupulin from the glands at the base of the petals which is what gives off the aroma.

Fun fact, hops are in the Cannabaceae family. Yes that is what it sounds like.

And now for a picture of my hops so far...This one is Chinook. The Cascade isn't doing anything noteworthy yet.

CBB372F5-01D8-4D69-8FA2-C0CB3FD14091.jpg

Haaaaa!

Actually, Scap, in general the hop flowers aren't as fragrant as you'd expect until the flowers are crushed, pressed or rubbed. Doing so releases the lupulin from the glands at the base of the petals which is what gives off the aroma.

Fun fact, hops are in the Cannabaceae family. Yes that is what it sounds like.

And now for a picture of my hops so far...This one is Chinook. The Cascade isn't doing anything noteworthy yet.

CBB372F5-01D8-4D69-8FA2-C0CB3FD14091.jpg

Don't the "other" plants in that family give off a smell?