• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Poll: Preferred Flame Options for Lighting Cigars?

What do you prefer to use to light your cigars?

• Wooden matches

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Torch lighter

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Non-torch butane lighter

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other lighter (Zippo, Bic, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A cedar strip, lit by another method

• My kitchen stove

• Total voters
I use a Z-Plus insert in a Zippo. Toast the foot then a slight purge, wait 30 seconds, enjoy... :thumbs: In a pinch, it's matches or a Bic (the only pinch being running out of fuel). Just don't rush it.

Derek
Dude...
I just got harassed by my wife for buying a torch lighter just after she bought me a custom engraved Zippo. This would have been ideal!!!

I too think the new Zippo lighter fluid is great. I remember the smell of the fluid as a kid and this doesn't have any smell or taste.

That reminds me of a cool story...
As a kid I thought I would experiment with my dad's zippo and stick it in the freezer to see how long it would take to run out of O2 and put out the flame. I forgot there's a blower in the freezer. Let's just say the freezer started on fire, I melted my fingers trying to pick the zippo up, and it melted a hole in the linoleum floor when I dropped it. I think I recall my dad just shaking his head and laughing when I told him about it.

Long story short...I use a torch lighter now, and I'm done experimenting.

I bought one of these for the house and never looked back! I love this thing! I got it at Wal-Mart for cheap.

80011_main.jpg

Anybody ever use a plumbers torch? It works pretty well if you can keep the flame low without it going out. It also makes people laugh, which is half the reason I use it.

I bought one of these for the house and never looked back! I love this thing! I got it at Wal-Mart for cheap.

80011_main.jpg

I have one very similliar to this one..

Works great at the house, but I carry a Ronson Jet-Lite at all times. (also keep one in my golf bag, along with a bic for emergencies).

I've got a very nice Colibri torch that was a gift from my brother. I love it. Once and a while I use matches or a cedar spill.

Anybody ever use a plumbers torch? It works pretty well if you can keep the flame low without it going out. It also makes people laugh, which is half the reason I use it.

No, but I used my cigar lighter to solder some wires one time.

:cool:

Torch all the way!

Hold it further away from the foot of your cigar, and purge the cigar after lighting before taking your first puff.
Agreed, once I quit holding the flame so close the bitterness at the start was gone. :thumbs:

My favorite right now is this. LINKY

I can adjust it so it just slightly burbles (spelling?) and lights the foot of my cigars very evenly. I also do the purge before taking my first puff.

I find my old Colibri torch to be my #1 lighter.. until it runs out of gas on the golf course after I half lit a cigar. :( I should have carried a Bic or something with me last weekend.
I always carry an extra plain jane lighter... just for that particular reason...

Lesson learned, believe me. Luckily it was a golf course cigar and not a special one I was saving for a specific reason.

I use a Zippo, mostly for sentimental reasons. My grandfather carried a Zippo in his pocket all his life, and that sound will always remind me of him. He passed away in April and the first thing my grandmother did when I arrived at the house was to put the Zippo he was carrying the day he died, and the one that he had carried every day for years, into my pocket. So that lighter will always travel with me as well. It may not be the preferred method of lighting, but it works.

^^ in that case, sentiment before cigar taste any day! IMO

Definitely a torch - however, as Wurm stated earlier, just be careful on how you light it (take your time) and that should make a difference for you.