• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Post up your seafood sources

Matthew Adam

If you eat seafood and cook then perhaps like me you are always hunting for the best source to buy.
Oddly enough, living on LI (and literally surrounded by water) it's tough to find good places to buy seafood.
I know seafood places can be tough to find when you want good ones, and finding good oysters and clams can be even tougher that other stuff. I've been loyal to seafood places I've gone to, but it seems they're always opening and closing. There used to be an incredible oyster place in Sayville that owned their own beds and imported from around the country, but they closed pretty quickly a few summers ago.

Just in case anyone out there is interested in clams and oysters (and other seafood), there's a great place to buy them here on Long Island, in West Babylon. Realitively new discovery for me, been going there for a couple months.
Captree Clam, My link

If you live on the Island and like that kind of stuff, give em a try. Me and my GF have been picking up oysters and clams there for a couple months and they're fantastic. Cheap too, like $5 a doz at most for either. They supply wholesale to restaurants and stuff which is why it's so cheap. But they have a small store for walk in traffic. I know, this sounds like an ad for the place but I assure I don't work there or own it. I just love clams and oysters.

Best baked clams I have ever had are the ones we made from this place's clams. And I like them on the half shell alot more than baked. On the half shell the little necks are awesome. Sweet like real fresh ones should be. The oysters are top notch too, kinda small and thick little meats. I do them with lemon and a drop of tabasco..

Southside in Lindenhurst is pretty good too, to eat and buy, not great but above average for a great price.

Post up any places you know of wherever you are located, anyone on LI with any info is appreciated as well.

I eat at the Y every night! Bearded clams are the best!

DO NOT DISCUSS SOURCES/RETAILERS

DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR SOURCE VERIFICATION

DOING SO WILL RESULT IN TERMINATION OF YOUR ACCOUNT

:laugh:

I like this topic.

In Chicago I get my lobsters from a Vietnamese place called "Seaworld Food Market" :whistling: on Argyle, $8.00 a pound. 2 pound lobsters are not uncommon.

I also love fresh tuna, on Saturday I went to H-Mart in Niles and got fresh tuna sashimi carved right of the fish in front of me.

It was awesome to see that dude carve me a prime piece of fish and give the skinny on the best part of the fish. They have a great fish selection and are very fresh, flounder is another favorite.

For oysters and clams I get them from Burhop's in Glenview on the way home from work. Very fresh and trusted by many customers.

Friday I am having a lobster boil, so I might use H-Mart if they have them in stock. $7 a pound I think.

Fresh seafood in Illinois. I wonder how they manage it. I guess it depends on your deffinition of fresh;)

I can smell the Atlantic from here. I get my fish from a local fishmonger I've done buisness with for the past 20yrs or so. There's also a couple of fishhouses that make their seafood available at retail.
There's one pice of advice I'll give, never, ever by your seafood from a supermarket.

Doc.

Southside in Lindenhurst is pretty good too, to eat and buy, not great but above average for a great price.

If you like your West Babylon place, stick with them. The owner of Southside is an asshole.

I'm definitely going to stick with West Babylon, the only problem is you never know who is going to disappear by next year. I've seen many places close up in the last 10 years, oddly enough a seafood store has trouble staying in business on a goddamn Island with a sea culture. Problem is while there's sea history here, there's no inkling of culture. You'll never find stupider people in the world than suburbia - and LI is nouveau riche suburbia at its best.
Southside is one of the most visited and stable places around. Decent stuff, and you know the place will be there for a long time. It's hit or miss based on when shipments come in. If the owner is an asshole, then more power to Captree Clam. You just can't beat 2 dozen littlenecks for like $8.60 or somethin ridiculous like that.

Try down on the nautical mile in Freeport. Couple places there that have been around long-term. Pretty decent prices. I looked at the Captree link. Great prices, I may have to check them out when I'm out that way.

As far as the thing with Southside goes, it's not even business related. I know the owner on a personal level. I can't imagine anyone else who knows him personally would piss on him if he was on fire.

Mine comes from long John Silvers! Red Lobster if I'm feeling frisky!

I live in the bay area. If I want oysters I go to the oyster farm where they are taken from the bay daily. If I want seafood I get it from the ocean. I eat fish that are still alive. I am epic. If I had a beard and a pet lion I would be Zeus.

I live in the bay area. If I want oysters I go to the oyster farm where they are taken from the bay daily. If I want seafood I get it from the ocean. I eat fish that are still alive. I am epic. If I had a beard and a pet lion I would be Zeus.

Is the oyster part non-fiction? Because that would be pretty cool. I have a dream of the perfect life, and a small part of it is living on a piece of brackish beachfront property or the inlet of a river going out to the ocean, and there are oyster beds nearby. I wake up real early and grab a few right out of the water every morning, probably while puffing on a nice stogie. Man would that be sweet.

The oyster part is real! The farm is about 45 minutes from my house at Drakes Bay, they harvest daily. They are cheap also!

my source

Alaska2010Canon079.jpg

sorry... just had to :cool:

For you guys out in MD
I'm out here right now on a trip, and couldn't leave without some seafood. Me and the wifey went to Price's Seafood in Havre de Grace. Pretty darn good oysters, I had a damn good Shrimp Po Boy and the woman had an excellent crab cake. Homemade cole slaw and potato salad. This place was right up our alley, food quality over atmosphere. There was a few seafood places in the area, but this one is the "dive" type with the legit local food, the others were more of the touristy type places. It would suck to be in Maryland and miss out on Chesapeake Bay top seafood.

If you're in the area, I recommend the place no doubt. Had to ask for lemon though, I guess it's not as much of a custom as it is where I live. It's totally key on just about every piece of ocean food

I Normaly Catch my own seafood. But If i am in a bind and need to buy some I use https://www.catalinaop.com/ They offer good shipping rates. I have been to the Shop down in San Diego and it is top notch stuff.

At the Y? I thought they only served banana clams.

Fresh seafood in Illinois. I wonder how they manage it. I guess it depends on your deffinition of fresh;)

I can smell the Atlantic from here. I get my fish from a local fishmonger I've done buisness with for the past 20yrs or so. There's also a couple of fishhouses that make their seafood available at retail.
There's one pice of advice I'll give, never, ever by your seafood from a supermarket.

Doc.

Seaport fish Market in Rye.