• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Post value and thread meltdowns

There is a problem I see with the whole "respect" thing. As soon as some relatively new member gets a snide, witty, or ball-busting remark from an older member, they start thw whole speech about how that remark was disrespectufl, and how they never scammed anyone or did anything wrong, so they should have respect until they show they don't deserve it, blah, blah, etc. I think a lot of people miss the point that, 99% of the time, the reason they got the attitude, or whatever you want to call it, from an older member was because they were a bit out of line. They were the ones who hadn't been around long enough to realize that they were outta line, and were just being given a nudge in the right direction. MANY times, the mistake they make is putting their 2 cents into a discussion for which they haven't been around long enough to understand the big picture of the scenario. THAT in itself is a sort of disrespect to the way things are done around here. Other than a good natured poke at someone, any other instances where a newbie (or anyone for that matter) has been put in their place by an FOG has had it happen to them because they did something out of line. I can't recall any instances where a newbie was "picked on" for no good reason at all. The people who get all pissed off about not getting respect most of the time just haven't read enough to even realize WHY they receive the type of comments they do in the first place!

To be honest. I would like to hear opinions from objective members who normaly stay on the side lines while these types of discussions unfold. Just curious as to what other people think.

Bob

I'm just an ordinary guy on this site and I stick to the sidelines on most of the threads because I'm just not going to add anything original and re-emphasizing good points seems like a waste of time. My average post count is a (that's ONE) post a day. Sometimes I may had some quality (highly subjective for sure) and sometimes not. Would I tell someone they're a POST WHORE to their face, YES. Why not? It's not a question of who's the toughest guy. There's always someone tougher than you. It's a question of self-respect. And quite frankly... I believe that the guys who give you the old "you'll never say it to my face line" are the ones who have the least self-respect. There's tactful ways of handling all situations. Some guys come here and act like complete fools and simply don't take the time to READ and discover what this community is about. The board weeds out the fools and is right to do so. When someone makes a mistake I try my best to give them the benefit of the doubt (just as I hope they would for me). It's called being human. But when someone makes a mistake and they get criticized for it by the community... it's funny how they react. Too many times guys who are called-out will respond by beating their chests... GROW THE FCUK UP. A simple, "whoops, sorry about that... I understand and won't make that mistake again," would go a helluva lot farther instead of defaulting into the "you can't tell me" mode. Personally... I stick with the winners and learn from the losers. Evolution is a wonderful thing and it's too bad it's lost on some.

BTW... I've got a 22 inch ePenis :D

grammar edit

I guess we all need to act like we are in a bar

exactly how it should be...but it's not. I seriously doubt some of the things that have been said to Wade and to other people would be said if they were standing face to face. My 65 year old mom can can act like a bad ass on the internet.
There in lies the biggest problem with internet forums (not that forums are a bad thing, but simply one of the downsides.) A lot can be said behind the protection of a keyboard and monitor that would probably not be said toe to toe.

Ok, so, basically, Neal wouldn't call you out at a bar because you cast a physically intimidating presence or Neal's a sheepish coward who wouldn't stand up to anyone in real life. You're saying one of the two things, it's easily read as a threat: "If we were in a bar, I'd be kicking your ass right now"...

That said, who cares?

The problem here isn't who offended who or who could beat up who in real life, but whether or not Neal, et al were justified in their pursuit of Wade. I think the other threads came to a conclusion that most people accept, judging by the original post in this thread. If you got your panties in a bunch because you took a side and got involved, you have no one to blame but yourself.

I'd suggest you proceed forward in your posts with nothing but respect towards Rod. He's given you a ton of slack on his board so that you can promote your clocks/lamps/humidors on the forums and behind the scenes. Back in February you stated here that you had already sold / traded for 100 cigar box clocks ~ at $30 -$40 a clock, that's an estimated $3500.00 in sales/ trades, not including the sales of your cigar box lamps, humidors, etc. Hefty $$$ for 5 months of membership. Take note, the last person who promoted his wares for personal gain here was DaveWF.

MMM,

I must have totally missed something... $3,500 profit from CigarPass in less than 6 months??? I now see where George, Neal, MMM, et all are coming from. I thought you had only sold 10 or so clocks here. My sponsors don't even pay anywhere NEAR $3,500 a year! Nowhere near that amount!!! And you have the nerve to have an attitude Wade? While at first I didn't agree with Neal's little clock scheme, but in the end he did a damn good job at proving how you're profiteering. This is freak'n nuts. While other's may look at Neal, Kirk, George as shit stirrers, my hat's off to these guys.

Corporate America is full of money hungry whores (and no Wade, I'm not calling you a money hungry whore). The cigar community in general is something quite different. Most consumers in this industry actually care about their hard earned money. Most of the American public has been brainwashed by the large corporations. Go buy a car, and they won't haggle with you. Buy a new computer and you have to buy from a big name chain/corporation. There are no more mom/pop shops anymore; they have all been washed away by the big corporations. It's really sad. I like to believe that cigar smokers are a little different, and we watch out for one another. How many gouger's do we have peddling their cigars here? None, since TW Cigars was kicked out.

I don't mean to stray off topic, but the fact remains that we are all part of this community not only for the wealth of information that it offers, but also to get fair deals on cigars, accessories, etc. I see people bombing, trading, doing cigar splits, etc everyday here. That's what CP is about, being part of a small community where we can trust one another, not profit from one another.

Wade, if I were you, I'd try to redeem myself by exempting myself from any controversial discussions. Posting this thread was nothing but bait, and you know it. Neal took it and ran with it. In the end, it came back to haunt you. CP really does have a lot to offer. If you give a little, you'll receive a lot. Just my advice to you.

Thanks for reading...

Rod

I understand the need for pointing out certain situations in these threads. The way this whole thing went down was childish and immature. The only one here who did the right thing was MMM. He pointed out clearly what he thought happened with Wade’s clocks and challenged Wade to defend himself. Wade should have responded to his challenge or not.

Sam Clemmons used his insulting remarks to "stir the shit" to quote Rod. I for one was insulted along the way when I challenged Sam Clemmons. I felt he went at it the wrong way and I stated so with what I thought was a reasonable post. I did not use any insulting remarks to state that opinion. What I got in return was more shit stirring and insulting remarks from Sam Clemmons. In my opinion Sam Clemmons was not acting in a manner suitable to this site. I only did this after reading a lot of his posts and realized he has been doing this for a long time. I did not see much if any added value to his posts going back for a full year. Do we need an attack dog on this site for our own protection? I for one don't think so. We can challenge offenders a lot more reasonably. This is a self moderated board and we need to use moderation when posting.

I also am a little confused about the so called post whoring charges here on this site. This is a bulletin board it is here for posting! Isn’t that what we are supposed to be doing? I have been called a post whore here by some and that is okay. I average 6 posts a day but most of my posts have added value whether you agree with them or not. The balance is to welcome someone or congratulate someone's good fortune. I think the challenge made to post whores should be "garbage poster". there are a lot of people who have high post counts and most of them have value. A few that come to mind are AVB, Wilkey and Blinded By Science (sorry for throwing you under the bus guys). Most of thier posts add value, should these guys cut back? I for one don't think so.

This is a good site and I enjoy myself (and learn about my hobby here) immensely. I have made a lot of friends here and most of the time I enjoy reading the posts. I do get disgusted when I read these attack posts and see the community melt down in front of our eyes. We need to change the way we "go after an offender" in these posts. We need to take a lesson from MMM and use a calm approach to charges we make. Calling someone a name is not the answer. We need to take a lesson from the Don Imus fiasco and start to use a little more self control on these posts. After all we are cigar smokers, are we not gentleman?

Sam you owe me an apology. I did nothing wrong in calling you on your post. I did it in a gentlemanly way and your response was inappropriate. I hope we can all be better brothers and learn from this situation. In the past we have prided ourselves for the methods used in posting here. We do not take spelling or grammatical shortcuts. We need to use the same pride in what we post! The climate of what is acceptable is changing and we need to change with it. This is just my opinion and felt the need to express it.

Thanks for your time,
Paul
I like being immature and childish. I like it. I don’t care if you don’t. I do.
You were insulted by being told to “fugg off”? Seriously?
I am not an attack dog, I have opinions you don’t like.
I don’t owe you an apology.

I just read through my posts of the last couple days. You have got to be kidding here.

NA

Again respectfully, Why cant we have both. Lets protect the core eliments of CP but at the same time do it in a manner that sets a good example of how CP members should conduct themselves.

Bob

I see what you are saying, but I don't think it's that easy. When I was a kid, my Father told me to clean up my room. When I didn't listen, I had a nice impression of his hand on my ass! Next time he asked, I either listened, or got whacked again. I learned fairly quickly. If I told him I didn't agree with his methods because he was disrespecting me by giving me a whoopin', he would have "redefined" the term whoopin' for me!!! (I turned out ok...I think...hehe) If he had set the good example by not spanking me, and showing me how to clean my room, I'd have never cleaned a thing in my life!

Same thing here except that we are adults. You go against what this board is about (even if you don't understand or agree with it) you get told about it. You don't talk back and demand respect, you learn and move on (without whining about it.) Or, you can whine about it, but don't cry when you get the belt!

I have only been here a few months and am not taking any sides here but...

It is pretty easy to sit under a cloak of anonymity and flame someone on a bulletin board when in reality the same person would not be as brave with their words in person. I am not saying that some people don't deserve to be flamed, just that it becomes very easy for someone to do it without any fear of repercussion.

Fish

X2.... I probably shouldn't even be speaking about this because of me being new here, But wouldn't the drama be spared and people not get "flamed" if the problem was just taken directly to the member involved via pm instead of a public post where you know you'll get hammered for making your beef public?

It's unclear to me from your post which person you're suggesting (or at least questioning) should have resorted to a pm or who got "hammered."

But, whatever your point, there are certain things and issues that need to, and should, be shared publicly and brought to light, for the good of the board and our brothers/sisters here. Neal's post, while some may consider crass or "rough around the edges" (you nancy boys who do need to get some thicker skin), was right in line with this concept.

Now...back to Ray's post (#25 above).... :whistling:

Miami can I repectfully say that it is true getting a thicker skin sometimes helps, however no matter how thick your skin no one can know what will actually get under another persons skin. We are all different.

Bob

Obviously, but that's not the point. The point is not adjusting posts to make them timid and the least likely to ruffle feathers, but rather about protecting the integrity of this forum and looking out for the general good of its brothers/sisters. The point is that if someone has a problem with THAT goal, regardless of how it is delivered, then they are perhaps best suited elsewhere because it is clear they don't see the overall good that is being accomplished.

Again respectfully, Why cant we have both. Lets protect the core eliments of CP but at the same time do it in a manner that sets a good example of how CP members should conduct themselves.

Bob
I refer back to your post Bob, "We are all different"

If you are offended by what someone says on the fuggin' Internet, get a life. If you don't like the way things are done here, leave.

Just because you think you deserve respect, is the very reason you won't get respect. You are not entitled to anything just because you join a internet board, regardless what type of board.

If you are offended by what someone says on the fuggin' Internet, get a life. If you don't like the way things are done here, leave.

Just because you think you deserve respect, is the very reason you won't get respect. You are not entitled to anything just because you join a internet board, regardless what type of board.

X2

Plenty of other cigar boards where you won't take flack like some do here. It's not like standing your ground on CigarPass.com gives you a bigger penis, it's better to move on a lot of times.

I love you Bert. Seriously. I got something I need to show you.

NA

Wow,

Let me whore it up a little here.

I think the challenge made to post whores should be "garbage poster". there are a lot of people who have high post counts and most of them have value. A few that come to mind are AVB, Wilkey and Blinded By Science (sorry for throwing you under the bus guys). Most of thier posts add value, should these guys cut back? I for one don't think so.
Only "most?" I guess I'm going to have to try harder then. ;) I'm being facetious, of course, but value exists when value is perceived. One difficulty in this whole situation is that there is more than a single standard for what counts as having value. Since this is a free and open community, this is exactly as it should be.

First, there is the community-wide consensus of what constitutes value and values. You can see aspects of that embodied in axioms such as "read more, post less." By the nature of it being an axiom, it can only serve as the most general of practical guidelines.

Second, we each have our own individual beliefs and perceptions regarding what has value and what does not. Part of the friction that perennially arises on CP comes about as a result of a gap between the consensus and individual beliefs. Some of us hew more closely to the consensus while others differ in some ways. Again, this is exactly as it should be. It is not the fact of having a differing view that is the cause of strife, but rather how that difference is acted upon and reacted to.

I am not traumitized at all. It all comes down to repect. We all deserve it automatically until we deserve not to have it. I did not deserve disrespect and in my opinion it is a matter of pricipal.
No, Paul. Respect is earned over time. Much like trust. You get in the door for free, but becoming a respected member takes time, participation, and respect for others and the established methods and practices. Saying "things have to change" isn't a good step on that path. You have to start there with nothing in your "bank account" and build respect over time.

B.B.S.
Let's be just a bit clearer about what is being talked about in these two quotes. The language used may seem precise but I believe we are talking about two different kinds of respect.

In Paul's quote the "respect" talked about seems to be of the civility and tolerance variety. From this perspective, I completely agree with Paul. We all deserve to be treated in a forthright and dignified manner appropriate to the community's customs. I see that Paul later clarified this in post #10 and it was echoed in post #12. On some smokers' forums, "I disagree" could be considered fighting words, while on others, "F**K you and your horse" might be equivalent to "Morning, Bob. How's tricks?" The context, customs, and an understanding of the speaker's mode and intent are essential in properly decoding what might otherwise be an ambiguous statement. Note: mode refers to a characteristic style or method of communications, for example street-speak versus boardroom-speak.

In B.B.S.'s post, the "respect" talked about is esteem, regard, and admiration leading to earned deference and consideration. This seems to be the variety identified in posts #13, 14, and 20.

When you split the word into the two different senses and meanings, the contradiction that was there simply evaporates...except in one crucial case. This is the problematic situation where an individual construes esteem-respect to be included in a package with civility-respect and in so doing ignoring the community's mechanisms for achieving the esteem variety.

So where am I going with all this?
1. Paul and Neal were not on the same page as far as matching modes of communication. As a result, miscommunication occurred and so an apology for "inappropriateness" is not warranted. What would be helpful would be for Paul to come to grips with Neal's mode with the intent of better understanding his future communications. Why not the other way around? Simple. Because Neal has more "credits" along the lines of earned deference and consideration.

2. The community has an overall "feel" to it; an atmosphere if you will that determines one's general satisfaction and comfort in being a member. Along side of that, there are pockets of more raw as well as more polite discourse. These spice things up but may also be flashpoints as we have seen here. The overall feel allows us to call a place home. The other things are things that we will seek out or make allowances for if we choose to make a place home.

3. Paul, you have earned respect (at least from me) for raising the points you did and in the manner that you did. You had an issue of conscience and exercised the courage to voice it. That is more than many others would have done.

I do hope you can sort out where Neal's coming from. To tell you the honest truth, when I first got here, I was rather put off by how Neal and others spoke. In time, I came to understand them (as much as anyone can come to understand another on an internet forum) and came to accept the positive aspects of their approach. If I had not been able to do this, I would not be here today.

Regards,
Wilkey

Note: Why do I write such long and analytical posts on issues that seem to many to be "givens?" One reason is to work out the logic of it for my own benefit. The more I understand things, the better I am able to help others. A second reason is to make my thought process explicit and transparent so that readers will know exactly where I'm coming from and how I get there. IMO, it's not enough to simply have the end result, the process is arguably even more important.

In the Hawaiian language, they use one word to say hello and goodbye. You know when you hear the word Aloha, what’s being said because you know whether you’re coming or going.

I’ve observed that ‘Neal speak’ is much the same. “Fugg off” can mean what it looks like or it can mean “alright, I find you tolerable”. You know what he means when he says it to you because you know whether you’re coming or going.

Let's be just a bit clearer about what is being talked about in these two quotes. The language used may seem precise but I believe we are talking about two different kinds of respect.

In Paul's quote the "respect" talked about seems to be of the civility and tolerance variety. From this perspective, I completely agree with Paul. We all deserve to be treated in a forthright and dignified manner appropriate to the community's customs. I see that Paul later clarified this in post #10 and it was echoed in post #12. On some smokers' forums, "I disagree" could be considered fighting words, while on others, "F**K you and your horse" might be equivalent to "Morning, Bob. How's tricks?" The context, customs, and an understanding of the speaker's mode and intent are essential in properly decoding what might otherwise be an ambiguous statement. Note: mode refers to a characteristic style or method of communications, for example street-speak versus boardroom-speak.

In B.B.S.'s post, the "respect" talked about is esteem, regard, and admiration leading to earned deference and consideration. This seems to be the variety identified in posts #13, 14, and 20.
Thank you for this great explanation. I've never really thought of the difference between the two and always though of it as a civility-respect and trust comparison. You get respect (civility) and earn trust (esteem, etc.).

---John Holmes...

I love you Bert. Seriously. I got something I need to show you.

NA

Just one question: Are you wearing any pants?

???

My post could be taken as a threat? WOW, I hope I'm misunderstanding your post, because I just can't see how it's possible to take what I wrote as a threat. And as far as the second sentence, are you saying that I'm not allowed to give my opinion on this matter? My post was as non threatening as it gets.

Look, I'm not one to beat on people here, whether they deserve it or not. Joke around with them, yes. I don't consider it a threat, but the very wording can be misconstrued as a threat. I've been on the cigar forums for a long time. I've seen just about everything, except I've yet to see naked pictures of most of your wives.......and dammit I've been waiting in anticipation of a few of them..... what is being hashed out here is nothing new. It's been done over and over again here and elsewhere. I've seen posts identical to yours where someone took it as a threat to their manhood. So, I stated an opinion that has some backing by previous things I've read over the years.

A lot of people here take things here waaaaaay to seriously. There are about a dozen or so people here who can offend me with their typed words. They are all but a very few, people I've met, shook hands with, smoked with, drank with and even had the priviledge of either hosting them at my house or been hosted in their homes. These are people I consider friends. My friends could hurt my feelings. Now, there are a lot more potential friends here, but I've yet to really connect with them. Until the point where I let someone into my life as a friend, everyone else are just aquaintances. Some I'm more attached to then others, but still just aquaintances. So, any and everyone here, minus the small minority, can call my wife a whore, my kids bastards, my mom a bitch, etc. It's going to slide right off my back.... I may punch back, but in the end, I couldn't give a care in the world. I'd give the same advice to them after something like that, that I would before.

All of you can fugg (not "fug") off. You may decide for yourself if you're coming or going.

But... I would smoke a cigar with each and every one of you thick-headed bastids.

Jeez Wilkey, not only post padding but bandwidth hogging too. However, you pegged it exactly.

Ok Folks move along....move along....nothing to see here....move along...... :laugh: