• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pre cutting cigars

Colin,

Nice to see a 22yo guy take up the passion. I was wondering at what level is your mobility? I have a friend with a physical challenge and I got him a cutter that he can manage to use himself. He's able to remove his cigar from the humidor and lay it in a tray, slide it to just about where he wants, then pushes down on the top to cut his cigar....it's a guillotine style cutter.

Cigarcutter.jpg

I would cut cigars for him every day if he wanted, but with this setup, he felt so much more independent and was right there with the ritualistic pleasure of smoking a fine cigar, start to finish, on his own....whenever he wanted.

Let me know what you think.

Gary

Man, I got to get me one of those.

You should do, and then give us a detailed review while I save up for one :D

Rob - yes a punch might be worth looking into, I always hated the idea of the punch cutter, I invisioned it being really nasty, but I watched a video recently which had a punch cutter in action and its not as brutal as I thought. I suppose they have to be very sharp to allow you to grip the cigar, to allow you to punch and twist without damaging the wrapper with your firm grip....

Woah, that looks awesome, thanks for sharing ironpeddler.

I would be able to get my cigar, load it into that cutter but I'm quite surprised that you said you dont need to hold it, is it really that sharp? I'd of imagined one would need to hold the cigar in place other wise it would want to tip up as the blade touches it.

I'm not to sure if i'll have the strength required to push down to make the cut, I could probably just use momentum instead of pressure and just wack the handle with my hand, but I have a vision of the cigar ending up on the other side of the room ;)

I'll have to look into this, thanks!

Failing that - theres always the dremel rotary tool :laugh:
Colin,

What I meant was that you wouldn't have to hold the cigar if using a hand cutter!....lol...I don't want your cigar on the other side of the room! That's a good one.

My buddy just uses his right hand to hold the stick in place on the tray and gives the lever a whack with his left hand to cut the cigar. The blade is quite sharp, it doesn't take much to cut it....but the bigger the ring size, the more effort it takes. Torps and ring sizes around 43 and lower are the easiest.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Pre-cutting a stick should not be an issue either...

This thread has inspired me.
I just drew up a design for a one handed desk top cutter.
Does anybody think there would be a market for something like this?

-Robert

To get back to the original question...
I precut cigars often and put them in my travel humi.
The reason I do this is because I am often smoking while driving down the road and don't want to fumble with the cutting process while driving with my knee.

The other reason I do this is that I tend to enjoy a "cats eye" cut and my only cutter that produces this cut is a desktop that stays at home.

Thus, I have often stored cigars that were pre-cut using a cats eye cut with no ill effects whatsoever.

Hope this helps......

Great fun thread by the way!

You should do, and then give us a detailed review while I save up for one :D

Rob - yes a punch might be worth looking into, I always hated the idea of the punch cutter, I invisioned it being really nasty, but I watched a video recently which had a punch cutter in action and its not as brutal as I thought. I suppose they have to be very sharp to allow you to grip the cigar, to allow you to punch and twist without damaging the wrapper with your firm grip....

If done properly, it is a great way to cut a cigar. Check out any of Kingantz' reviews for a properly punched cigar. He is a true master.

Oh wow, thanks for pointing me in the direction of the Kingantz reviews! Very nice cuts.

Thanks again for all the help, I'm definantly going to give him the go ahead to do some pre cuts!

Rob... I'm not sure if theirs much call for such an item...