• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pre cutting cigars

gt3911

Hi all,

I haven’t managed to find any information on this topic, as I cant imagine it really ever being an issue for the average Joe.

I’m curious about any bad effects of cutting a cigar and then storing it, the only concern coming to mind is that the cigar might become slack and unravel.

I’m disabled suffering from a muscular condition and cannot cut my sticks. I usually smoke with a friend so it goes ok, but there are times I just want to have a stick when no one is around.

I was thinking about storing sticks in my humi already cut….

Any words of warning on doing this?

Much appreciated

Col

I have cut a stick and found it to have a tight draw from time to time. So I have dryboxed a few sticks and smoked at a later date with no problem from the wrapper. Hopefully somone with more knowledge will post as well.

If I cut a stick and it has a tight draw before lighting it I will put it back in the humi for a little while as this usually helps open it up a bit. I have noticed no ill affects from this when smoking, but this has only happened a few times and I usually only leave them in there a few weeks.

As long as not too much of the cap is cut off you should be fine. If you cut off too much cap the entire cigar will eventual come undone.

I can't think of a reason a cigar should suffer from having its cap cut beforehand as long as 1) it is properly stored under suitable conditions (65%-ish and 60-65F-ish) and 2) you don't cut it down so far as to cut off the sliver of wrapper that is wound around the "shoulder" of the head of the cigar. If you cut it too far, then it would likely unravel. The shoulder is where the flat (or slightly rounded) cap transitions to the parallel sides of the cigar. Torpedos are generally more tolerant of cutting.

Wilkey

on non torpedo sticks you could also use a punch to just make a hole in the cap before storing, this way you really don't have to worry about the wrapper coming undone.

If a stick is cut in a manner such that it will not unravel shortly into the smoke, it should be able to be stored indefinitely without unravelling.

It only matters if ritual is important to you.

Doc.

Colin,

Nice to see a 22yo guy take up the passion. I was wondering at what level is your mobility? I have a friend with a physical challenge and I got him a cutter that he can manage to use himself. He's able to remove his cigar from the humidor and lay it in a tray, slide it to just about where he wants, then pushes down on the top to cut his cigar....it's a guillotine style cutter.

Cigarcutter.jpg

I would cut cigars for him every day if he wanted, but with this setup, he felt so much more independent and was right there with the ritualistic pleasure of smoking a fine cigar, start to finish, on his own....whenever he wanted.

Let me know what you think.

Gary

Colin,

Nice to see a 22yo guy take up the passion. I was wondering at what level is your mobility? I have a friend with a physical challenge and I got him a cutter that he can manage to use himself. He's able to remove his cigar from the humidor and lay it in a tray, slide it to just about where he wants, then pushes down on the top to cut his cigar....it's a guillotine style cutter.

Cigarcutter.jpg

I would cut cigars for him every day if he wanted, but with this setup, he felt so much more independent and was right there with the ritualistic pleasure of smoking a fine cigar, start to finish, on his own....whenever he wanted.

Gary
That's a sharp cutter. They're cutting the wrong end, though! :D

It's great that you were able to help your friend. :thumbs:

Care to relay the source for that piece?

This months Cigars International catalog actually has a smaller version of a cutter similar to that. Here it is from their website:

Linky

Colin,

Cigarcutter.jpg

Gary

He loves it...

This is the same concept...looks different...

http://www.2ndstreet-cigars.com/guillotine01.html

This is the one pictured above....

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/tabcigcut.html

There ya go Lil B...hope that helps

This months Cigars International catalog actually has a smaller version of a cutter similar to that. Here it is from their website:

Linky

....but with that one you need to hold the cigar in place to cut it...with the other, Colin can just lay it in there and give it a slice!...

Woah, that looks awesome, thanks for sharing ironpeddler.

I would be able to get my cigar, load it into that cutter but I'm quite surprised that you said you dont need to hold it, is it really that sharp? I'd of imagined one would need to hold the cigar in place other wise it would want to tip up as the blade touches it.

I'm not to sure if i'll have the strength required to push down to make the cut, I could probably just use momentum instead of pressure and just wack the handle with my hand, but I have a vision of the cigar ending up on the other side of the room ;)

I'll have to look into this, thanks!

Failing that - theres always the dremel rotary tool :laugh:

If a stick is cut in a manner such that it will not unravel shortly into the smoke, it should be able to be stored indefinitely without unravelling.

Sorry to go off topic but this is the best Madden-ism I have seen thus far on CP!

:laugh:

Back on track...
OP, if you mounted a flat punch cutter to something sturdy you could use your weight to punch the cigar.
Not sure if your strength or mobility would allow you to do so but it was an idea that crossed my mind.

-Rob

I've done this with a few fat cigars. Oddly enough, they started to unravel after a month or two. I'm not sure what caused this.