• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pudding is special

Pudding, the only reason to finish your meal, tapioca, butterscotch, chocolate. Pudding brings you back to the times as a kid when you ran in from playing outside and said, "I'M HUNGRY" and you received some pudding that had been made, not bought in a little plastic pack. I loved the crusty top that ours would always get, probably from not being covered. Possibly the only treat that is just so simple and yet so magical.

DAMN YOU ALL , NOW I WANT PUDDING!!!

For a while it seemed pudding wasn't special to me while thinking about this topic. I remember the plastic stuff we buy at the grocery store. Meh.

Only after going through my first Thanksgiving without my dad being here did this topic make sense. He's been in the hospital since Saturday because he lost too much weight from not eating since I got back from vacation 15 days ago. I've always thought him invincible in his younger days, and always a creature of habit. I put on the game face for the rest of the family and we had a simple dinner of potluck at our house, no turkey, no cranberries. It wasn't the same without him.

Reflecting back to memories of my youth took me a while, but when I saw the flashback in slow motion, it dawned on me. I remember mom making Jell-0 pudding from the box, putting the warm chocolate pudding into the yellow tinted glass bowl. I think she still has that bowl, faded and a little stained on the inside, but still on her shelf waiting for another chance to be used again. My dad loves sweets, so much so that anytime we have a holiday dinner, we all make sure we have something nice for dessert, for him to dig into with his cup of coffee. I remember mom telling me to mind my manners and ask him if he wanted any before I had mine. He never refused a bowl of pudding be it vanilla or chocolate. He'd sit in the parlor and I would get the bowl and we would both eat pudding watching TV, him with his spoon and me with my fingers. We didn't need to talk (he's a man of few words, not like me ), I don't recall what was on the tube but as I write this I remember the feeling of that worn out carpet on my legs as I sat on the floor, the itchy fabric of the sofa on my shirtless back, and that green screened console tube TV blaring out some sitcom show from Carol Burnett to Bonanza. Been so busy living my life, I forgot to remember my life! Who knows if this will be the last Thanksgiving I have with him or my mom, but I am grateful to know he's still here.

Without you guys knowing, you have made the last coulple of days very comforting for me. You take me away from my bullshit I create in my mind, the running in place mentally diminishes, the stress of being the rock of the family gets checked and put away, and I get to sit back and just cruise in the corner of this forum and have fun with everyone. Thank you sirs.

Thank you Macion for allowing me a chance to share a story of a simple dessert and it's affect on man. Some of my comments on other threads were sometimes edgy, but forgive me if they offended anyone. They were not designed to do that.

I have rambled on a bit, my eyes are dry now and I feel better for writing this. This was just the right thread I needed. Macion, I am not looking for the prize offered by you, a very generous contest I may add, so please do not count me in the mix of judging. I already have my prize..................friendship.

Nice post mate. It is always the simple things we remember that tie into larger memories resurfaced. Glad my absurdist thread bought you some joy.

I wouldn't mind a shot at some tasty bread pudding, if you can arrange that. No fruit, though, please. Heavy on the cream, cinnamon and sugar, though. Maybe a little rum.

I wouldn't mind a shot at some tasty bread pudding, if you can arrange that. No fruit, though, please. Heavy on the cream, cinnamon and sugar, though. Maybe a little rum.

mmm... bread pudding...

that reminds me of a road trip I made about 15 years ago when I was involved in BBSing and FidoNet. I made the trip to OneBBScon that summer with many side trips along the way down and back - through Ohio and Kentucky (stopped in to check out the Mammoth Caves, very cool), on to Tennessee (stopped in to check out the Jack Daniels distillery, very awesome!), through Nashville (yes, I went to the Grand Ole Oprey... sorta... I drove in to the parking lot and snapped a picture of the building :p), then to Atlanta for a few days for the con, then up through Connecticut to Portland Maine and the overnight ferry to Nova Scotia, up to Halifax for visit with folks for a few days then over to Summerside PEI for more visiting, then finally back home. it was a great trip - took me about 2 1/2 weeks all told.

while in Nashville, I chanced to stop at a restaurant - very nice place, had kind of a combo restaurant/patio thing going with roll-up doors to open the inside to the patio. I don't remember now what I had for dinner, but desert was the most incredible bread pudding I've ever had, with a kick-ass Jack Daniels sauce on it... don't recall the name now, wish I did so I could find out if it's still open. it'd be worth going back, if I'm ever in the area

Proudly
Undulating,
Dark,
Deep,
Incredible,
Never
Got enough

PUDDING!

Pudding:
They feed it to you as a baby because it's the only thing you can chew.

They feed it to you in your later years because it's the only thing you can chew.

It's great for any age. :)

Oh man! I LOVE bread pudding, and exactly as you described it. Any time I go to a place that has bread pudding on the menu, I get it. I don't care how full I am at the end of a meal - I will order it if they have it.
wub.gif
Maybe I'll make some tonight, for dessert after my baconweave wrapped salmon.

I got the chance to try Pudding for the first time this Thanksgiving. My wife decided to do something different for dessert. I was horrified when she asked if she could use some Zacapa to cook with! When she explained that she only needed a tablespoon I gave her the go ahead. The results were outstanding! I just stumbled across your post and it made me remember there were still some leftovers in the fridge, which I just heated up...
Picture.jpg

I've thought long over this one. Really pudding is special because it reminds me of my mom. She used to make pudding with me all the time, and now I make it with my kids. We have the same type of bowls/mixers etc. and my favorite, and now the kids favorite was licking off the beaters after we were done mixing.

They say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and i must agree. However, the kids are partial to chocolate, where I am called "weird" by them because I enjoy pistacio hehe. :)

They say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and i must agree. However, the kids are partial to chocolate, where I am called "weird" by them because I enjoy pistacio hehe. :)

Hey, I'm with you there. A good pistachio pudding is a jewel to behold.

Until recently, I'd enjoy "that boxed stuff" every now and then and never gave much thought to it but a few years back I was over at a friend and neighbor's for their standing "Tuesday Dinner's" and enjoyed pistachio pudding and ice cream with flavour and dimension that made me wonder how the other stuff could ever be passed off as pistachio...

If there wasn't any pudding, you wouldn't have any puddin' pops, ya see!

Oh man! Look at that gratuitous pudding shot... :love:

Winners announced in two days. Nice posts people.

I propose a moment of silence for Bill Cosby. In his honor, I'm having a pipe full of pudding

(technically, it's Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding and either way, certainly not at all like Jell-O Jigglers which is something of a diversion away from pudding yet certainly Bill Cosby related. It's the degrees of separation thing........but I digress)

I propose a moment of silence for Bill Cosby. In his honor, I'm having a pipe full of pudding

(technically, it's Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding and either way, certainly not at all like Jell-O Jigglers which is something of a diversion away from pudding yet certainly Bill Cosby related. It's the degrees of separation thing........but I digress)

Im having "Black Pudding"for breakfast in the morn.

Yumm Yumm

Pigs blood n bum.

Some pudding haikus
'cause pudding is lost on me
allergic to milk

opaque, goopy treat
does not jiggle; more like splat
Cosby's other shill

Weight Watcher's delight
one tub is only one point
always lick the lid

dense colloidal muck
butterscotch worth the sneezes
vanilla less so

Christmas Pudding made with love
the grinding and mincing with a tender hand.

Cheers to the pudding as it is made drunk... left to cure for a year and a day

Warmed again and doused in brandy... it is set ablaze...

Ahhh the chistmas pud that mum made is.... all gone YUM!