• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Puff sequence

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
Search didn't produce any answers so I'll ask for help............

I find myself getting light headed and nauseated from a cigar that I am absolutely loving.

Am I puffing to often? Maybe too many small puffs instead of an less frequent larger puff?

I wonder if a little lower RH would produce cigars which would not need to be puffed as often to keep lit? I keep mine at 68-69%

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I find myself getting light headed and nauseated from a cigar that I am absolutely loving.

Am I puffing to often? Maybe too many small puffs instead of an less frequent larger puff?

I wonder if a little lower RH would produce cigars which would not need to be puffed as often to keep lit? I keep mine at 68-69%

I don't know about "puff frequency" but I do know it helps to have something on the stomach when you smoke some of the stronger cigars. I have also heard that you can eat a little sugar before smoking (presumably to raise blood sugar) and that helps prevent this.

I'm a newb, so take this with a grain of salt. I haven't tried the sugar before the smoke, but I can vouch for it helping once you already have the "cuban vertigo." A couple of the little packages of nerds work quite well (I stole that from someone else on here, and it works for me). I also won't smoke a strong cigar without having something on my stomach.

D

1 puff about every 60 seconds seems to work for me. I find sometimes if I puff too frequently the cigar will go out on me, not sure of the science behind it or not, but was told it burns hotter when you do that and tends to go out instead of smolder.

1 puff about every 60 seconds seems to work for me. I find sometimes if I puff too frequently the cigar will go out on me, not sure of the science behind it or not, but was told it burns hotter when you do that and tends to go out instead of smolder.

Thats interesting. This may not matter but what RH do you keep your humidor at?

I usually find if I puff too much it burns too hot and that is about it. The burning too hot can often ruin the flavor of the cigar.
I don't really think about when to puff, I just take a draw whenever I feel like it or if I realize that it's been awhile.

Thats interesting. This may not matter but what RH do you keep your humidor at?

I usually find if I puff too much it burns too hot and that is about it. The burning too hot can often ruin the flavor of the cigar.
I don't really think about when to puff, I just take a draw whenever I feel like it or if I realize that it's been awhile.

Rock solid 65%, must add that it usually happens when smoking outside in higher humidity too, may have more to do with it than anything.

Another "technique" that I frequently use is kind of like taking half draws. For some reason I can taste a cigars flavor profile better this way... plus, I don't smoke it down so fast.

mac

Same here. It's supposed to be an enjoyable experience, not a lab experiment in puff frequency. I do try to smoke slow enough to prevent the smoke from burning hot.

If you get light headed maybe you're just a lightweight...... :laugh:

On a slightly more serious note, even with my usual 1-3 cigars a day, there are a couple of 'em that I wont try on an empty stomach.

Have fun, and enjoy - B.B.S.

Puff frequency does matter. But as a newb, you'll go through a learning curve and, as time goes by, you won't really think about it in most cases. I think the flavor and the whole experience tends to set the tempo. By whole experience I mean all the various factors. Heat, body, Rh the smoke was stored in, strength, and flavor. The last tends to influence my rate the most. Of course, usually you can influence rh if it's from your humi.

If it's a cigar I've smoked before, I already know how to smoke it. With a new cigar, I pay more attention to rate and it's relationship to the flavor.

Rarely does a cigar get me dizzy or nauseous anymore. How much I draw through my nose can sometimes affect me. Coffee is my beverage and sugar in it is a factor, I'm sure.

If you are getting lightheaded or feeling nic-kick with regularity, then it's quite possible you are especially susceptible to the effects of nicotine. My advice is to smoke more so that your system can acclimate. :D

If this isn't possible, then have something sweet to eat or drink either prior to or along with your cigar. I usually have a coffee with one sugar and one cream. Having sugar in your accompaniment should do the trick. Remember, diet colas will not have the same ameliorative effect.

If you are especially sensitive, then have some sugar packets on hand. If the sweet drink is not enough, pound down a packet or two with a glass of water. The effect on your palate will be minimal and once the sugar starts calming your system down, you can get back to business.

As for the draw, first of all be absolutely sure you are not inadvertently inhaling a small stream of smoke with your draw. If you're not a converted ciggy smoker, this shouldn't be a problem as getting even a whiff of direct cigar smoke in the bronchi is pretty eye opening. The strength of the cigar and the draw rate will have some effect on how the nicotine affects you. The nicotine delivery will be related to smoke volume rate of intake so drawing more frequently OR more deeply will both deliver more nicotine to your system. If you are indeed sensitive and want to minimize the impact, then:

1. draw lightly
2. draw less frequently
3. hold the smoke in mouth for a shorter period of time
4. spit
5. drink sweet or eat sweet
6. have sugar packets ready

If these tactics don't do it for you, then you can always switch to chewing gum. I hear the Cubans make some really kick ass gum. ;)

Wilkey

then have something sweet to eat or drink either prior to or along with your cigar.

I'm going through a phase where I can barely stomach the stronger cigars. I almost always pair my cigars with a Coke, can't get much sweeter than that. Eating a big meal helps, but still not enough. I don't think how I puff has mattered all that much, but I would think that if you puffed less it could only help.

Only bright side to this is that my stock of Pepins has grown. I feel your pain bro.

I myself am a converted cigarette smoker. I've only gotten a buzz from a couple of smokes, of which I fully expected it from both. Double Ligero anything will give me a buzz. I have only found myself really getting nicotine sick once, and it was just the sweats for a moment. I slowed my smoking down a bit and it went away.

I think your smoke is more than an adventure in flavor. Its also an adventure in relaxation and enjoyment. Smoke at whatever speed it takes for you to reach both flavor and enjoyment. You may have to give up on one to attain the other from my experience.

I'm a relatively fast smoker. Any cigar that lasts too much more than an hour (when I'm smoking alone) starts to bore me even if its smoking wonderfully. So I'll speed up on a smoke thats boring me, but sometimes it harms the flavor. Other times, it improves. YMMV

I have found that I bring a very tall glass of Iced Coke or Iced Sweet Tea with me on smokes that I know will be powerful. I personally love the pairing of coke and smoke. Sometimes better than with a dram or few fingers of bourbon.

The point is, smoke at the rate you are most comfortable. Prepare for powerful smokes by eating good earlier in the evening and having a nice sweet drink to wash all the goodness down with. As you smoke more you'll be able to handle the nicotine better. As long as the smoke doesn't go out, your smoking at the pace you want. Enjoy it.

I can still get a little light headed occasionally from the stronger smokes - think LG Diez, LFD DL or Opus. But it is not too often. Seems to have more to do with how I'm feeling before I light up and having ate recently.

I do keep all my sticks as close to 65% as possible. I just like the way they smoke at this humidity. Lower and the smoke seems hotter and higher tends to have burn problems.

If you are still having problems you can always send your stronger sticks to me :D :whistling:

Mark

The only time when I get sick is when I am either working (doing quotes) or working in the garage. When I am doing these things I tend to keep the smoke in my mouth, this makes it less enjoyable and I inhale more. My bad I know. Keep the smoke out of your mouth and like other said around a puff a minute IMO! Dave

Some good food for thought here! I knew about the sugar for the instant relief but now I will also eat something sweet before and during an anticipated strong smoke.

I have never smoked ciggys but I do blow all my smoke out my nose because I can't taste it otherwise. However if I ever make the mistake of even the smallest inhale it feels like someone burnt my lungs with a torch...............yeh I am a sensitive type of guy ;)

The proper sequence is as follows...
Puff.
Puff.
Pass!
This should reduce dizziness (and bogarting)!
YMMV especially considering different strains.

:p

-Rob

If you are getting lightheaded or feeling nic-kick with regularity, then it's quite possible you are especially susceptible to the effects of nicotine. My advice is to smoke more so that your system can acclimate. :D

If this isn't possible, then have something sweet to eat or drink either prior to or along with your cigar. I usually have a coffee with one sugar and one cream. Having sugar in your accompaniment should do the trick. Remember, diet colas will not have the same ameliorative effect.

If you are especially sensitive, then have some sugar packets on hand. If the sweet drink is not enough, pound down a packet or two with a glass of water. The effect on your palate will be minimal and once the sugar starts calming your system down, you can get back to business.

As for the draw, first of all be absolutely sure you are not inadvertently inhaling a small stream of smoke with your draw. If you're not a converted ciggy smoker, this shouldn't be a problem as getting even a whiff of direct cigar smoke in the bronchi is pretty eye opening. The strength of the cigar and the draw rate will have some effect on how the nicotine affects you. The nicotine delivery will be related to smoke volume rate of intake so drawing more frequently OR more deeply will both deliver more nicotine to your system. If you are indeed sensitive and want to minimize the impact, then:

1. draw lightly
2. draw less frequently
3. hold the smoke in mouth for a shorter period of time
4. spit
5. drink sweet or eat sweet
6. have sugar packets ready

If these tactics don't do it for you, then you can always switch to chewing gum. I hear the Cubans make some really kick ass gum. ;)

Wilkey

This is great advice... If I am smoking a cigar that I know is on the stronger side I always try to spit from time to time... Really seems to work great for me... Though it can be offensive if you have company :D