• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Re-seal Humidor suggestions

Mr.Willister

Ok so as some of you may already know I posted about losing humidity in my humidor. After taking your advice on that, I'm starting to become convinced that I may have a leaky humidor. My question is does anyone recommend resealing the underside of the lip of the lid with silicon when it joins the bottom half of the humidor? That way the silicon is in contact with both pieces forming a good seal. Has anyone tried this before with success?

My humidor is the end table style and I've sealed it with food contact safe graded RTV. Its basically clear silicone caulk for the food industry.

I believe Tim Swanson has a video on youtube about using silicone to help seal a leaky desktop humidor. Search CigarsDaily. Be prepared to look for it, there's a lot of vids.

Wood is porous, mass produced humidors don't have perfect seals. Unless you spend huge money, wooden humidors will naturally seep the humidity through the wood and leak through the seals.

There is no better, cheaper per unit volume, easier to care for humidor than a cooler with a good fitting lid. None. Before I got my cabinet, I ran 3 (4?) coolers with beads in them. Rather boring to pop the lid and see the hygro right at 65%.

The downside is.....they're a cooler, and they look like it..... 😀

There is no better, cheaper per unit volume, easier to care for humidor than a cooler with a good fitting lid. None. Before I got my cabinet, I ran 3 (4?) coolers with beads in them. Rather boring to pop the lid and see the hygro right at 65%.

The downside is.....they're a cooler, and they look like it..... 😀
So, 65% RH is the target humidity?

My experience with wooden humidors, probably because I never spent $1000 on one, reminded me of my first car.

The damn thing was broke down more than it ran and a mechanic told me one day that the best possible thing to do with my car was to unscrew the wing-nut on the air cleaner, hold the wing nut up, back the car out, drive another car under, and screw the wing nut back on.

My experience with wooden humidors, probably because I never spent $1000 on one, reminded me of my first car.

The damn thing was broke down more than it ran and a mechanic told me one day that the best possible thing to do with my car was to unscrew the wing-nut on the air cleaner, hold the wing nut up, back the car out, drive another car under, and screw the wing nut back on.

You're showing your age. Good luck finding a wingnut on any new(ish) car. Or even an air cleaner.

The dollar bill test works like this: send me a $100 bill, and I'll send you an email telling you your humidor doesn't seal properly. Easy peasy.

I have a cheapo desktop that was my first humidor, that I use fur my dry box now. Put the thinnest water seal I could find around the inside of the lid, and a bead of silicone around the outside of the glass. Worked great after that, then I got a cooler or 3.