• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Recharging Oasis

scooterfj62

Over the past couple of months have been noticing that I am adding distilled water to my small Oasis and my Oasis II XL on a more frequent basis. Since they use floral foam and not a sponge material will adding a 50/50 Propylene glycol/distilled water solution hurt or help?

Thanks!

Do not add the Glycol Solution to the Floral foam. :)

Over the past couple of months have been noticing that I am adding distilled water to my small Oasis and my Oasis II XL on a more frequent basis. Since they use floral foam and not a sponge material will adding a 50/50 Propylene glycol/distilled water solution hurt or help?

Thanks!

Remove the foam and add beads!

I'm sure there are a few threads on this type of subject.

Thanks!

Scooter

While I'm still relativly new to Cigars, I've just gotten done setting up my humidor that contains floral foam. I've read on other sites that if you are using the floral foam and you want to recharge it you should first wash it out with distilled water and then let it completly dry. After it is dry then you can recharge with the 50/50 solution. The other option is to buy a block of foam (make sure it isn't the kind with preservatives in it), cut off a new piece and charge it with the PG and throw away the old piece.

You do not want to add 50/50 solution to a piece of foam that has already been charged with PG solution. Once foam is charged with 50/50 you should only add distilled water to it. The reason being that 50/50 solution contains 50% water and 50% PG. If you add more 50/50 solution to foam that has already been charged but is drying out then the concentration of PG on the foam would increase. For example if you've charged a piece of foam with 50/50 and it is now dry (no water left at all) and then recharge with 50/50 you would end up with 75% PG and 25% water. If you were to do this you would find out that the higher concentration of PG would keep your humidor too dry.

All that being said if you have the means then replace the foam with beads. I haven't done this myself because I am still trying to convince my wife that this is a new hobby of mine and not just an interest and because the foam seems to be working fine for me.

**Edit**

I just re-read your post. I'm not sure if adding 50/50 to a piece of foam that hasn't been charged would work. Your best bet would be to start from scratch with a piece of clean dry foam.

Thanks for all the advice. I did a search on removing the foam from the Oasis but couldn't find anything. Could be my search skills.

Im trying to understand whats happening here.. Are you trying to remove the foam out of the bottom of the Cigar Oasis? Why would you want to? By you having to add water constantly, it means the Oasis is working constantly. Check for leaks in the humi/cooler/vino what ever it is you use. Add beads, but I really don't see a need to replace the foam? What would be put in it's place? If you put beads in the container where the foam is, what about the water? I think the point of the beads is to keep them damp, not submerged...

Not sure this is such a great idea, but am very interested to see someone try it..

Just send me your Opus first :)

Leave the foam in and use distilled water. Oasis maintains whatever humidity you set. Adding PG will interfere with that and will clog your foam. Switching from foam to beads will only do the same thing. Let the Oasis do what it was designed to do, or upgrade to something else.

Leave the foam in and use distilled water. Oasis maintains whatever humidity you set. Adding PG will interfere with that and will clog your foam. Switching from foam to beads will only do the same thing. Let the Oasis do what it was designed to do, or upgrade to something else.

I'm sorry my bad. I did realize you were talking about an active humidifcation system. When I saw Oasis I automatically thought Oasis floral foam. Thought you were using the hockey puck style humidifier.

I'm sorry my bad. I did realize you were talking about an active humidifcation system. When I saw Oasis I automatically thought Oasis floral foam. Thought you were using the hockey puck style humidifier.

I NEVER make mistakes like that. :sign:

Bully has an excellent point. Find out what has changed to alter your water schedule. Opening the door more frequently? Developed a leak? Influx of new stock? Moved the humidor?

I NEVER make mistakes like that. :sign:

Bully has an excellent point. Find out what has changed to alter your water schedule. Opening the door more frequently? Developed a leak? Influx of new stock? Moved the humidor?

Yes..it's active, yet it has FOAM.

The foam can be bad...or if it dried out it needs to be recharged.

Thanks again for the advice, its strange because nothing has changed as far as open/close, stock, etc. I have noticed over the years that the small Oasis that you change cartridges on only seem to last about 6 months and then you have to buy a new one. Was hoping that I could just add 50/50 and not have to buy another one. Sounds like the beads for that one might work just fine.

As for the XL, it just seems that it is using more water lately. The only thing that really has changed is the weather. Here in Florida its already hitting the 90's and we keep the house around 78 during the summer. Could be that I guess.

You just love squishing the stuff in your fingers.

I love making the stuff, then squishing it between my fingers, you dirty old man!

:laugh:

Marc knows his shiz. I got some of the polymers and it is a great sub for foam. Replacing the foam is a bit of work, but well worth it. Oh, what's that in my sig tag?