• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rolled too tight

Humidor Minister

I have a box of CC's which have all had bad draw. I've tried poking down the middle, hell, I've tried drilling a hole down the middle with a long 1/8" drill bit. I've let a couple sit out for days even, all to no success. This box was expensive and I'd hate for it to go to waste. What can I do? The first person with an answer that works should PM me for a goodie. ;)

I have a box of CC's which have all had bad draw. I've tried poking down the middle, hell, I've tried drilling a hole down the middle with a long 1/8" drill bit. I've let a couple sit out for days even, all to no success. This box was expensive and I'd hate for it to go to waste. What can I do? The first person with an answer that works should PM me for a goodie. ;)
I am having a similar problem with a box of Partagas Series D No. 4's and its really a shame. I've smoked about 5 of them and they have all been way too tight, smokeable but way too tight.

Send the rest to me, you will never have to deal with them again? :laugh:

CC are inconsistent, but I would be pissed if a whole box had a super tight draw. This is why I love tampa sweethearts, if the cigar sucks I'll just toss it and grab another one. :D I've never thrown two in a row away, and I think I'm coming a T.S. snob now. Now if it was a high dollar cigar I sit there and savor that cigar like it was my last, and just deal with the sore jaw afterwards.

When I get a cigar that is tight I do a few things. Im not saying its foolproof but they work sometimes
1) chew it up
2) squeese and roll
3) blow through it real hard
4) recut
workes for me about 75% of the time

Spray the cigar with some water, let it sit for a few minutes, then unroll it. Get some pectin and re-roll it! Or, chop it up and smoke it in a pipe. I've got a bunch of completely plugged Cubans I plan on re-rolling some time or another.

I had a box of cigars that I bought about 5 years ago and for the first year I had them they all had horrible draw. I ended up trying some of them and just kept tossing the sticks because they were all plugged. I left them in my humi for a couple years and decided to come back and try them again and they seemed to have worked themselves out. :thumbs: So, I don't know of any immediate fixes for this, but maybe some (a lot) of downtime will help them?? Hopefully you can enjoy them though... sooner or later.

I've got two boxes of '01 Churchill's with the same issues. They aren't all "tent pegs" but about half of them are. Got them for 1/2 price so I guess I can't whine too loudly.......
tongue.gif
01's are notorius for draw issues.

Poked, drilled, dry boxed....nothing seems to help.

If there's an answer, I'd love to hear it. I'm afraid they're garbage.....dang it.

Regards - B.B.S.

I had the same thing with a full box of Partagas Lusitanias :angry:

I complained to the vendor and he said that there is nothing he can do about it.
While he was right it still annoying as hell.

I had the same thing with a full box of Partagas Lusitanias
mad.gif

I complained to the vendor and he said that there is nothing he can do about it.

Reputible vendors usually offer to swap them out.

I am having a similar problem with a box of Partagas Series D No. 4's and its really a shame. I've smoked about 5 of them and they have all been way too tight, smokeable but way too tight.

I have never had a tight or plugged PSD4. What's your humidity, and has your hygrometer been calibrated? Also, without saying it out loud, did these come from a reputable dealer?

I've had a few CC plugged in my 12 years of smoking, and I use a DRAWPOKER. It works well because you can poke the cigar in different places, and problem solved.

I had the same thing with a full box of Partagas Lusitanias
mad.gif

Reputible vendors usually offer to swap them out.

You're right and that is why I haven't purchased anything from him since then.

If dry boxing does not work, and you don't want to sit on the boxes for the next several years....I would say the cutting it up and smoking it in a pipe would be your best option...the others...chuck them or given them to someone you hate.

What's the box code?

H&F 139367 R&J Vitola is 6x48

My humidity for my CC's is at 59% I guess they can go to the depths of the humi for a few years. Should just make them better. What sucks is that I sent a few out to fellow BOTL before I tried one myself last weekend.

What's the box code?

H&F 139367 R&J Vitola is 6x48

My humidity for my CC's is at 59% I guess they can go to the depths of the humi for a few years. Should just make them better. What sucks is that I sent a few out to fellow BOTL before I tried one myself last weekend.
I don't think that's a box code.

Another possibility is they were overly dried and them re-humidified. Cigars will tend to plug in that case. But some CCs are just too tight.

Also, some CCs react to RH differently than others. Be careful storing all your CCs at 60%. Some can handle it and others can't. I have some Boli Immensas that are too tight but they're good at 60% so I'm smoking them, dammit. They're from '03 so it's time to smoke them anyway. They open up nicely after the first third, though.

CCs are a pain, IMO. Now I limit myself, for the most part, to vitolas that are easy to smoke and store. I strayed from that with the Immensas and see what happened! :D

I've got 4 dry boxing right now. Maybe it will be better than just leaving them out of the humi. Got nothing to loose at this point. What smoke I did get from the one I tried last weekend seemd quite tasty. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Hunters and Frankau? Whatever vendor you got these from I think they would replace them. These are usually hand selected boxes and you typically pay a little extra for that label.