• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Roxor Cigars?

I tried to smoke the lightest wrappered version this weekend. I say tried because it was one of the worst smelling cigars I've ever lit up. The drawn smoke was sort of sweet, light, and inoffensive. Not bad at all. But the smoke from the lit end, while the cigar rested in my ashtray as I smoked and wrote outdoors, was RANK! It smelled like burnt rubber and paint. Good god but it stank.

Now I smoked a SLR DC before and a RASS afterward so I am pretty sure my palate and sniffer were working properly, but damn, it smelled bad.

Sorry bro. I had to put it out and way off my porch after burning 1.5". I will try the medium colored wrapper and the maduro sometime and I'll do my best to give it a fair shake.

Wilkey
Wilkey,

I don't understand what happened, but I can tell you after selling 100's of 1000's of naturals you are the first one to say it had a bad oder. i don't know what could have happened to the cigar to make it smell that way but i do apologize. I have not had any other complaints from that box. i wonder if something got into the cigar after it was sold.

We also have had no other complaints on any of the three lines, I personaly will send you another stick to smoke if you have any interest.

Thanks,

Phil
Can't say I don't give a cigar a fair shake. I'll PM you my address and if you'd still be willing to send me a nat, I'll smoke it and report back. My experience with that first one was truly atypical.

Wilkey

I got a set of them and just had to try the Cameroon.

I was impressed with it. Even burn, good flavor, a cigar I'd like to try again.

I tried to smoke the lightest wrappered version this weekend. I say tried because it was one of the worst smelling cigars I've ever lit up. The drawn smoke was sort of sweet, light, and inoffensive. Not bad at all. But the smoke from the lit end, while the cigar rested in my ashtray as I smoked and wrote outdoors, was RANK! It smelled like burnt rubber and paint. Good god but it stank.

Now I smoked a SLR DC before and a RASS afterward so I am pretty sure my palate and sniffer were working properly, but damn, it smelled bad.

Sorry bro. I had to put it out and way off my porch after burning 1.5". I will try the medium colored wrapper and the maduro sometime and I'll do my best to give it a fair shake.

Wilkey

I have to echo Wilkey's statements on the Connecticut unfortunately...I made it through about two inches. On the initial light-up, the draw was sweet, had a bit of a bite which was surprising to me for a Connecticut, but the wrapper smelled like a chemical I can't place. Besides the sweet profile, I couldn't find any other flavors, and I found the smoke was horrible. The ash was nothing like the Cameroon Roxor I had yesterday.

I am going to light up the Roxor Maduro Toro right now, and will edit the post accordingly when I'm done... (fingers crossed). SO far, the Cameroon, suprisingly, is my favorite! :D

-Jonathan

Edited to add Maduro experience:

Okay, the Maduro is MUCH MUCH BETTER! I am finding a streak of sweetness that runs through each of these cigars that I find pleasant to the pallatte. I don't know what causes it, be the blend of tobacco, or the wrappers, but it's there and I'm in love. THe maduro is not as strong as I would like, but recommend it for guys just coming into the medium to full body category.

I enjoyed the maduro as the ash held like a champ, the burn was a little off, but fixed itself (not as quickly as the cameroon mind you), and was all in all a well constructed cigar IMHO. Not as large of a flavor profile as the cameroon, but still honestly a good smoke. THere are richer tasting maduros out there, but I am not knocking it by any means.

I am still a fan of the cameroon as an "afternoon smoke," and am looking into either buying the box for meself and letting them sit for 6 mos. or so.

All in all, I think that Roxor has a future in this business as long as they continue to keep their customers, the ones who really help to build their empire, in mind over all else, and it seems to me that Phil is intent on doing that! :thumbs:

Great smoke, thanks for the opportunity, BOX OF CAMEROON TOROS HERE I COME!

Ouch. Sorry to hear that, Jonathan. I've only experienced such a thing once before with cigars that were afflicted with mold from the gum tragacanth used to seal the cap. But in that case, the cigars themselves smelled like crap prior to lightup. Perhaps this is a mold issue but just at a different level of intensity. I just don't know.

In any case, if roxor answers my PM and sends me a replacement, I'll give it a fair shake.

Wilkey

Smoked the Nat last night. I enjoyed it very much and am looking forward to the other two.

Seth

Seeing this post bumped reminded me that I never got that care package. My mailman must have enjoyed them in my stead.

Uh.... got my package today. :0 God knows where these things have been hanging out for the past four months. :D :D No fault of Roxor, though.

Thanks for supporting the troops, Phil. You just replenished my cigar stash that everyone digs out of on our Friday night smokes. I don't know what kind of shape these are going to be in, but they'll get smoked, regardless. At least the boxes were sealed.

Thanks again.

Back