• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

RyJ Churchill A/T

seadub

advertise here
I haven't sat down and put pen to paper in a long, long time. This afternoon was a perfect day to sit on the deck and enjoy a cigar. '01 RyJ Churchill A/T was my pleasure. I had some leftover coffee from this morning so I poured a cup (still warm) and added some Soy milk and went outside and sat in the sun. As I opened the tube the initial nose was musty cedar and somewhat sweet. The construction was excellent. Smooth wrapper, silky with some very fine veins. The touch was firm/spongy. Prelight nose was tobacco, cedar, earth... maybe a slight hint of floral notes. The pre-light draw was spot on smooth.

RyJ01.jpg

I put the torch to work for a little toasting. The burn was sharp right from the start and the volume of smoke was thick and perfect.

RyJ02.jpg

I had to confirm my tasting impressions with another rather famous BOTL, Wilkey, to verify what I was tasting (largely due to my inexperience with the Churhill). Confirmation came through positive...

The taste was overwhelmingly woodsy. At times there was a puff or two with very subtle smacks of cinnamon, cherry, and faint red wine. These tastes were not as pronounced as in the '01 Upmann Sir Winston I had smoked last week, however, they represented briefly in the RyJ. Tastes of spice showed up in the final third of the cigar. The flavour was medium-bodied for the most part. The finish was pleasant and not entirely long. The smoke was smooth. The cigar never got hot and I smoked it down to the last inch (I'm not one to nub). Overall impression was that this cigar was a great smoke factory pumping forth a fantastic consistently woodsy flavour. I would not likely pair it with a coffee in the future. I'll probably just stick to a glass of water. :thumbs:

RyJ03.jpg

Great review, Chris. :thumbs: I totally agree about the superb woodsy flavor! I have a bout six left from a box MAY 04. The only thing was there were 2 plugged 'gars in this lot.

Great review!!!
I have one of these resting! I'm not sure of the age though?

Thanks Chris!!!
:thumbs:

That was a great review. I have never smoked one of those, but I will be looking forward to experiencing the different taste you had. Thanks

Nice review...............simple and sweet. I agree on the woody & cherry description on these. Thumbs on not being afraid to say you would have preferred water with this. A lot of people assume you need some kind of spirit or, coffee to make the experience genuine.

Right on the button, Chris. The big RyJ is a sentimental favorite of mine and has been for quite a few years. I love the woodsy base and the slight sweetness, dry leather, and delicate nuttiness. Although some folks find these strong, they've never struck me as more than medium bodied with medium strength.

Like you, I find the Sir Winston to be more distinctive even though it is no stronger. It is a richer and more aromatic cigar that is, at its best, intensely complex.

Well done, my friend. :thumbs:

Wilkey

Cool review man! :thumbs: Sounds like a great smoke. Hmmm? Should I add a box to my collection? :rolleyes:

I have been planning on buying a few boxes of churchill size smokes to age for the long term. Already bought some Sir Winstons after watching you smoke that one the other night. Also bought a fresh box of Monarchs. SOunds like this would be a good addition to the churchill stash.

Excellent review, Chris. I've always loved these smokes.

Nice review. I have a box of 10 from 05 resting in the cooler. I figger another year and I'll smoke one.

Awesome review I have one sitting here looks like it will be burned in the near future :whistling:

I'm just about finished with one of these right now, and I'm agreeing with you completely. It's a smooth, medium, smoke, not as strong as I expected. I wasn't really wild about it for the first half or so, but then the spice started picking up in the last half and it's more to my liking. I also started with a cup of strong, dark roasted coffee and I think it overpowered the cigar, so I didn't refill once I drained it. Wish I'd read this review before I started smoking it.

YUM! I have a 1/2 box from 04 that is deep--very deep in my cooli. OTHER 1/2 WAS smoked with bliss and satisfaction except for 2 that were plugged beyond salvage. great review, Chris! :thumbs: