• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sam Adams

MAS_Puros

Me as a wee one with my bottle of Abyss
Reaction score
I haven't seen these before and was wondering if anyone has tried the Imperial Stout?

My local vendor has them in 4 packs (very hard to find). He has the imperial series. It's a white beer (belgium I suppose), a double bock and the imperial stout. I have never had the white beer, as a matter of fact. I will be back in a few minutes, he is just a few blocks away...

The double bock is too thick and oaky for me - taste very similar to motor oil
The imperial stout is great.. thick barrel with a chocolate twist. A nice surprise.

It just came out in February and its actually a pretty decent Imperial Stout. I am with Justin and usually think that SA should stick to their quasi-craft mainstream offerings and leave the real beer to others, but this beer is worth a taste.

It just came out in February and its actually a pretty decent Imperial Stout. I am with Justin and usually think that SA should stick to their quasi-craft mainstream offerings and leave the real beer to others, but this beer is worth a taste.
A friend of mine owns a shop that sells all those fancy $10 a bottle beers. I try a new one every two weeks or so. I'm not impressed and some ain't even drinkable. Most SA, at least, I can enjoy. The other thing is the elitist attitude that seems to have permeated the beer forum. It's beer for Christ's sakes, not French wine. That's why I don't post much here anymore.

Doc.

A friend of mine owns a shop that sells all those fancy $10 a bottle beers. I try a new one every two weeks or so. I'm not impressed and some ain't even drinkable. Most SA, at least, I can enjoy. The other thing is the elitist attitude that seems to have permeated the beer forum. It's beer for Christ's sakes, not French wine. That's why I don't post much here anymore.

Doc.

Doc, I think we actually try very hard to avoid an elitist attitude but that doesn't mean we don't have an opinion. That being said, taste in beer is amazingly subjective. There are many highly sought after beers that people over on my beer forum freak out over and I think taste like garbage. When people ask me what to drink I usually give them a few suggestions but tell them they are going to have to taste and sample to figure it out on their own. Hell I drink MHL on a weekly basis and always will. I do disagree when you say its not like its French wine, craft beer is very much like the wine industry. You have your every day run of the mill stuff and its pretty good but people who invest the time and money in the hobby want to explore the beers made with progressive, premium ingredients brewed with advanced techniques. It seems like people who invest the time and money on cigars like we do here would understand that. Its like someone smoking a philly blunt and asking what the big deal is with those long filler expensive sticks we enjoy, or someone drinking Folders and asking what the big deal is with those premium beans we pay $10+ a bag for.

Doc.

If saying I don't like Sam Adams makes me an elitist I guess I am. :rolleyes:

I guess what really annoys me is that without Jim Koch, there would be no craft brewing industry in this country and if you're not from New England you wouldn't know about the support he's given to the home brewer. He makes good beer; plain and simple, and to say otherwise, mostly because he's been successful, is elitist. Let's not forget he made the first American beer that can actually be sold in Germany which passes purity laws established in the 14 century. There's not many brewers in this country who can claim that distiction.

Doc.

Doc.

If saying I don't like Sam Adams makes me an elitist I guess I am. :rolleyes:
I wouldn't call anyone living in MT. an elitist. I'm from New England; home of the elitists. :sign:

Doc.

Doc, I view beers the very same way I view cigars. There are a few brands that are widely beloved here at CP that I've tried and don't see what the big deal is all about. As has been said many times, "smoke what you like, like what you smoke". Well, for me, the same goes with beer. Drink what you like, like what you drink.

In the end, as long as we all have our favorite smoke in hand and a glass of our favorite "firewater", who the hell cares what anybody else thinks?
:thumbs:

Just to keep on topic, I'm not much of a SA fan, but I do like their White (and glad it's back in season!) and Oktoberfest. I like stouts as well and I'll have to keep an eye open for it!

Doc.

Naw. Some beers have complex recipes, a lot of ingredients, unique fermenting and processing. Like anything, some brewers are very well practiced and others just have a knack for it. I think Surly's master brewer is a genius, and he may well be. Surly is also a small business. So, while their beer is more expensive than Bud Light (now owned by the Belgians, correct me if I'm wrong), by purchasing Surly's fine beers I'm also supporting the little guy who happens to live down the street from me.

I also haven't seen any kind of elitist attitude within the beer crew here. We share the word, we share the splendor.

I guess what really annoys me is that without Jim Koch, there would be no craft brewing industry in this country and if you're not from New England you wouldn't know about the support he's given to the home brewer. He makes good beer; plain and simple, and to say otherwise, mostly because he's been successful, is elitist. Let's not forget he made the first American beer that can actually be sold in Germany which passes purity laws established in the 14 century. There's not many brewers in this country who can claim that distiction.

Doc.

I have a lot of respect for what Koch has done for both the craft beer industry and homebrewers, I just think the vast majority of their beer is average at best and I'd rather support my local brewery. A lot of people love it, and I'm glad you guys have something you enjoy. A lot of people rave about Rogue and Southern Tier's "$10 beer" and I wouldn't pay a reasonable price for them.

We agree on Long Trail for sure though Doc. :thumbs:

ETA-I'm still gonna try the SA Imp Stout if it makes it out here by the way. :p

Doc.

I have a lot of respect for what Koch has done for both the craft beer industry and homebrewers, I just think the vast majority of their beer is average at best and I'd rather support my local brewery. A lot of people love it, and I'm glad you guys have something you enjoy. A lot of people rave about Rogue and Southern Tier's "$10 beer" and I wouldn't pay a reasonable price for them.

Bite your tongue! Choklat for life...

Doc.

Bite your tongue! Choklat Hershey's syrup for life...

Fixed

I was excited to try the dopplebock, but it wasn't that great IMO. I've had SA beers that had nice malt profiles before (the double bock in six packs and a Longshots weizenbock), but this one was pretty muddled to me. I'll give the others a try as well.

Doc.

Some beers are more complex than any wine. It just depends. I like the majority of Sam Adams, but I wont touch any light lager. I like flavor, unlike some people who seem to be a bit scared of it. :laugh:

They drink wine in Nebraska? Not that I'm being elitist or anything. :whistling:

Doc.

The other thing is the elitist attitude that seems to have permeated the beer forum. It's beer for Christ's sakes, not French wine. That's why I don't post much here anymore.
Doc, I respect the hell out of you and always have, but I have to take issue with this statement. This is exactly the kind of mindset that craft beer aficionados are trying to overcome; The idea that beer is somehow an "inferior" beverage to wine, perhaps because it can be made cheaply...the generic American Pale Lager has been dumbed down over the years to be acceptable/affordable to the greatest number of consumers, and it is consumed in mass quantities by college frat boys and less-refined rural types (no offense meant to anyone who lives in a rural place, like, oh...I don't know...Montana?). Craft brewing in many cases is a superior craft to winemaking, and this is coming from an Italian who grew up on "the grape." Wine is far too dependent on the quality of the ingredients and the flavor that is inherent in the terroir the grapes were grown in, while great beer is a result of not only good ingredients, but the skill with which the brewmaster blends them together. It's my opinion (and the opinion of many here), that beer deserves the same respect that wine is given. A $10 750 ml bottle of wine is usually lower quality stuff and seen as "cheap," "accessible" or affordable, but a $10 bottle (750ml) of world-class beer is somehow seen as overpriced, "fancy" and expensive.

I'm not sure I see an "elitist" attitude in this forum, and I'm sorry you've been disappointed in some of those "fancy" $10/bottle beers, but it's OK for you not to like them. I don't particularly care for fresh Tatuajes, but don't tell anyone over in the cigar rooms that. :laugh: As Jonas mentioned, there are a handful of "holy grail" beers I think are average at best, and wouldn't go through the trouble that some do to procure them, and there are some "under the radar" beers I think are absolutely phenomenal. I drink the cheap and domestic when the situation dictates (don't do MHL like Jonas, but I do put away my fair share of Yuengling, Old Reading and Straub). I respect Jim Koch and BBC for what they've done to "wake" consumers up to the idea of a better beer in this country, but I view what they do as a gateway to a bigger world. They make a wide variety of styles, but very few "stand outs" in each class. That being said, they are very accessible beers, and I would venture that very few people today would have tried a Scotch Ale, Witbier, or Porter if it weren't for Sam Adams. I personally look forward to Old Fezziwig and Holiday Porter each Christmas, and really enjoy the flagship Boston Lager.

If we ever have the chance, I'd love to get together and do a tasting with you, Doc. I wouldn't try to change your mind about anything, but I'd love to share a couple really great beers with you.

Sorry for the threadjack, Mikey...I've had the SA RIS and the Dopplebock. Both are really good. You should grab them if you can find them. The stout is more along the sweet and chocolately side, and doesn't really have that big, burnt, roasted RIS flavor or hop bitterness (hence its accessibility), but it's a really nice beer. Haven't had the Wit yet, though.