• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Samplers vs. Fivers

LikeAPuma

Just wondering what everyone prefers when trying to find new sticks?

Positives for samplers: More variety for the price.

Positive for fivers: More than one or two times to determine if you like a smoke, especially if something went wrong with the first... Plus you can rest them & see how that works.

Luckily, I'm getting lots of ideas from the sampler Lagamm was kind enough to bomb me with! Already planning on a box purchase of one!

On a completely side note, has anyone ever considered a FNG sub-forum? Just for stupid questions such as this? Lol. There's tons of wonderful info on the forum, but if it were consolidated for new folks, maybe it would cut down on repeat questions. (Because using search is just so difficult!)

Feel free to PM Grateful1 with any questions you may have.  His links are always educational.

I'm planning on it, for sure! I was just wondering what everyone else does down the road.

LikeAPuma said:
(Because using search is just so difficult!)

It is waaay to early to give up on search after only 12 posts. :thumbs: Our forum has 1.16 million posts by members who were all FNGs at some point along the way. You will benefit from a wealth of "found" information along the way, if you simply take the time to read & research.

(Because using search is just so difficult!)

It is waaay to early to give up on search after only 12 posts. :thumbs: Our forum has 1.16 million posts by members who were all FNGs at some point along the way. You will benefit from a wealth of "found" information along the way,  if you simply took the time to read & research.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. It was basically because I've seen a lot of threads started by "I tried to search but...", followed by a hyperlink to another thread :p

I don't mind the hunt, that's half the fun!

Tolland, CT........ You definitely need to hook up with Grateful1. He'll make a Jedi out of you yet. Just don't look over his shoulder while he searches the net.  ???

I prefer recommendations from people who share my tastes or know what I like over both samplers AND fivers.  ;)

That said, unless it's a tasting event where I'm trying a few different things, I like to get at least three of anything new that I think I'll like, or will try one and then go back and get 3-5 if I liked it.

Almost NEVER do samplers anymore, aside from vitola samplers of a cigar I know I like, or something like the Fuente or Prometheus holiday samplers. The catalog samplers are all too often where they throw 2-3 good sticks on top to hide all the no name bullshit underneath! A lot of those, over half the sampler's going to be their own "proprietary labels," which tend to be seconds and yardgars they stuck a band on.

~Boar

If I'm debating a box purchase I'll go for a 5er. Otherwise I enjoy a sampler for the variety.

Luckily, I'm getting lots of ideas from the sampler Lagamm was kind enough to bomb me with! Already planning on a box purchase of one!

Which one/ones did you like?
I think samplers are great in the beginning to determine the type of cigar you enjoy. Mild and creamy or a strong pepper bomb and everything in between. Myself I know I lean toward the medium to strong Habanos or Maduros. So knowing that now, I tend to buy 5'ers of those types. A year or two ago I was mostly buying samplers.

Any cigar $10 or over I usually will buy as a single 1st to see if it worth to save up for a box of.

The other issue which you will start to have is when you start going from samplers to 5'ers , 10, 20, 25 count you will run out of space to store them faster than you think.

Usually I would buy a variety of my selection of singles.  Then I would buy a fiver if I enjoyed the single.  Many times though I pulled the trigger on a box after smoking only one and was disappointed.

Which one/ones did you like?

The other issue which you will start to have is when you start going from samplers to 5'ers , 10, 20, 25 count you will run out of space to store them faster than you think.

So far, I've enjoyed the Don Pepin Garcia as well as the Oliva "O".. Both were great, but I already made note to consider buying a box of the Oliva's at some point.

I've noticed that with your gift plus a few I picked up at a local B&M, my little humidor wouldn't last too long with any big purchases. I've already begun to look at the mad-science of building a coolidor, which seems like a cost effective & practical way to increase storage capacity!

Talk to the guys at your B&M, and tell them which cigars you've liked, and ask for similar suggestions.  If they are worth a damn they can point you in the right direction to finding plenty of things you like.   (Or PM one of the vendors here, and they'll help you figure it out and do you right).

If you've liked the DPG and Oliva O, try some of the other offerings from those two.   DPG made sticks alone can keep you busy for a couple months working your way through them.  

A sampler or two to find what you might like is a fine start, but I personally wouldn't go beyond that many.   To many bad sticks, and wasted money there.   If you like DPG Blue for example, buy 5 in different sizes of those, and find which one suits you best.   At least that way you know you're less likely to be disappointed. 

I would always buy a fiver if I could. Have bought many boxes because I couldn't find a fiver. In most cases I have not been disappointed. Especially if I follow the ad vice of fellow CigarPass brothers!