• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

San Cristobal Review

hi guys
i'm new here...but looking at your pics...you are smoking fakes i'm sorry to say...they are not san cristobal cigars...will upload pics of the genuine article when I have time.....cheers
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: This San Cristobal is made by Ashton and blended by Don Pepin Garcia. It's not a fake. It's how we annoy Castro. It is what it is.

Doc.

hi guys
i'm new here...but looking at your pics...you are smoking fakes i'm sorry to say...they are not san cristobal cigars...will upload pics of the genuine article when I have time.....cheers

lol you do know that they are not talking about Cuban San Cristobal right?

Had the clasico tonight. Much like the other reviews as far as taste. Very full bodied and lots of strength. BTW, I just got in a assorted bunch yesterday and smoked one tonight. In my book pretty darn good considering that it was OTT. Im sure with more time it will mellow. The construction was great, perfect draw, straight clean burn, very nice band, and a nice white tight ash:

Want to try the Guajiro next! :p

One of the best "hyped" cigars I've had in a while. Slight manure smell to the wrapper, draw was pretty loose, too, but it tightened up a little as I smoked. Some good spice flavor at the beginning and end, mixed in with some "green" wood flavor. Tasted young to me, kind of like some La Auroras before they sat for a year. I'd get more of these, though, they were good. :)

Nice reviews everyone! I was looking for a place to post a review of this line! I was just in the Newbie trade line up and had souldog24ca get me a couple San Cristobal
Guajiro's. I sent him one with the trade package and we made a deal to smoke them and write a review. I wrote this then read these reviews. It's plain to see that Ashton has another hit if they can keep it consistant! :thumbs:

Smoked; Sunday 24 February, 2008 8:am- 9:20am

San Cristobal
Guajiro
Length: 6.625 Ring: 46
Country of Origin: Nicaragua
Strength: Full
Wrapper: Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan

Nice dark chocolate looking wrapper.
Pretty triple cap with a small pigtail.
Firm pack, no soft spots.
Pleasant dried apricot prelight draw.

Thick frothy tobacco flavor to start. 1 inch even burn, white ash with very few flakes. The cigar is picking up a more deep sweetness of a prune. The core is developing toward the earthy and less of the woodiness flavors. Some minute salt seems to be coming from underneath. Very nice aroma, with a leathery/paprika nose. Every puff is true as the previous with the exception the prune taste is developing nuttiness, like almond, smooth slightly salty leather and rich tobacco! You can deffinately tell this is first class tobacco! The wrapper has hardly any flaking, just a light shade of gray so you really can't say white ash. Hangs on firmly to 3/4 inches taps. Ashton has a real gem of a smoke, with the blending genious of "Pepin" this cigar is a triple to the gap for sure!

Half way up this perfect drawing pigtail I'm just thinking I would reduce the diameter of this cigar to at most a 44 ring.. 42 would really concentrate the slight salt I keep reaching for. It's there .. but it's not. Really keeps me interested. The deep sweetness of the almond glazed prune is now passed. The forground is now bean! Dry chocolate. Faint but the center now. Nothing since the prune flavor on the begining is swallowing the cigar. It's really balanced.

Working towards the 3/4 mark on the cigar. I see the wrapper coming up quick. That's the most disapointment I've had so far. Alot of coffee bean is jumping out now. Leather and coffee! Nice... real nice! That very slight salt undertone seems to pronounce the rich frothy, almost syrupy, mocha coffee. Lot's of smoke. It's 8;30 am here with a damp after rain atmosphere. My Neighbor just asked what I was smoking. He's not a cigar smoker, but he says it smells real good. Now I know the aroma is thick and roasty. I'am about a 150 feet away from him.

Running up on the band. I touched it up only 1 time and it probably would have fixed itself. I gently slip the band off. I'm going in for the nub! Off corse the cigar is getting spicey now. It's lost sweetness. More full tobacco flavor. Deep roasted meaty and pepper flavor is bold now. The smoke is not hot, this is just proof of what experience the roller must have. Lot's of roasted meat now with pepper crust. It's all about the hearty meat flavor at the end. Makes me want to pour a glass of red vino. Or maybe I'm imagining this whole thing... LOL! I'm definately going to get a fiver of these and play 3 months, 6 months, 9 months ! I usually don't rate cigars, because, well I don't! But this one is a 93 with a stong buy! An Ashton Nicaraguan Puro ala VSG style, if you will.

Nice reviews everyone! I was looking for a place to post a review of this line! I was just in the Newbie trade line up and had souldog24ca get me a couple San Cristobal
Guajiro's. I sent him one with the trade package and we made a deal to smoke them and write a review.

My reviews comin' later today!

...I'm just thinking I would reduce the diameter of this cigar to at most a 44 ring.. 42 would really concentrate the slight salt I keep reaching for....
You should check out the new francisco size. I smoked one last week and it was great. Made me drive around the block a few times so I could nub it on the ride home.

I took the little ones sleding this weekend.Saturday I had my first ever San Cristobal(clasico).It was awesome.I bought 3 of them a few weeks ago to try.I liked it so much that I smoked another one today.I think they live up to the hype.

...I'm just thinking I would reduce the diameter of this cigar to at most a 44 ring.. 42 would really concentrate the slight salt I keep reaching for....
You should check out the new francisco size. I smoked one last week and it was great. Made me drive around the block a few times so I could nub it on the ride home.

This makes me very happy. :thumbs: I will definitely have to swing by the B&M and see if they have the new size.

Very nice review Michael.

I have 2 boxes resting since Sep 2007. I must re-visit the stick, I'm sure they would have improved after 5 months.

Brian

I have 2 boxes resting since Sep 2007. I must re-visit the stick, I'm sure they would have improved after 5 months.

Brian

Thanks Brian !

And excuse me ... but what I thought I heard you say was "Hey cohiba, you want to trade me for a couple of these San Crisabols I have, so you can do a 6 month comparison alot sooner"?

And I'm sitting here thinking.... uhhh, duhhh! :)

Okay, like Cohiba stated, he helped me out in a Newbie trade, and sent me one of these fine cigars inside. We made a deal to wrtie reviews to see where our tastes lied, so here is my "greenhorn" review:

Smoked; Sunday 24 February, 2008 1440-1530 hrs

(I'm stealing Michael's specs here, I'm sure he won't mind! :thumbs: )

San Cristobal
Guajiro
Length: 6.625 Ring: 46
Country of Origin: Nicaragua
Strength: Full
Wrapper: Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan

I went to my favorite Cigar haunt with a buddy of mine who just got out of the Corps. We perused the walk-in humidor, he made his selections, proceeding to the front counter to pay. After his purchase, with a Zarka torpedo in tow, and I carrying my new Herf-a-Dor packed with my smokes and one of these fellas inside, we went to the lounge to smoke and play some pool.

Initially, I observed a dark, firm, oily wrapper that had a pleasant smell and slightly salty taste. I clipped her triple cap with a funny looking pigtail, and began on toasting the foot. Once I had her lit nice and even, I took a full draw on it. Now, what I am about to say is the ONLY complaint I'll ever have about this cigar, and sadly enough, it was enough to ruin my experience. I drew on it, and it was really really tight, to the point that I was barely getting any smoke out. It felt like I was trying to suck ice cream through a straw, and after a while, my jaw just got tired. For lack of words, it sucked.

I tried rolling it around in my fingers, trying to loosen whatever's in there, but I may have just got a bad one. I had zero complaints about the taste, the flavor was amazing, but my entire experience was stymied by the fact that she was plugged like a mother. I've had some smokes that were hard to draw on, but never like this one... :(

So, as I'm trying to concentrate on drawing, I wasn't paying too much attention to the flavor and taste. What I DID notice were hints of leather, creamy nutty flavors, and a slight hinting at salty spiciness. I was dissapointed in the amount of smoke this cigar put out, but that was probably due to the draw. As far as the ash, it was firm, and held for quite some time, which is something I really adore in a cigar, because I like to see how long I can get the ash until I have to tap it off.

I will say, even with the tight draw and lack of smoke, I nubbed it because it tasted so good, but I just couldn't get anything out of it! For a full bodied cigar, I can tell my newbie tastes are really changing because this guy was SMOOTH AS SILK to me! The smoke smelled great, and I wished I had had another one that was not as tight. I will definitely buy another one to try them out again, it looks like I may just have gotten a bad apple.

On the plus side of things, I won a pool tournament with my buddy and he had to buy me a CAO Soprano. :thumbs: Whether the Soprano is all hype and branding or not, we shall see when I light her up.

Thanks for reading boys and girls, and thanks Cohiba for sending me one of these beauties. I am definitely going to buy another one to give it a whirl!

Update to my prior post:

I went out and bought another San Cristobal, this time a larger gauge, and it was AMAZING! I will definitely be purchasing these babies more often!

Brian

Thanks Brian !

And excuse me ... but what I thought I heard you say was "Hey cohiba, you want to trade me for a couple of these San Crisabols I have, so you can do a 6 month comparison alot sooner"?

And I'm sitting here thinking.... uhhh, duhhh! :)

Ever feel like you're being ignored? ;)

Ok souldoggy... You need to give a review on the good one! Or.... review that '26! :cool:

Ok souldoggy... You need to give a review on the good one! Or.... review that '26! :cool:

Copy that! It's sitting right now, I was going to save it, but I can light it up! I kind of wanna go buy another San Cristobal and sit down to write it....we shall see....