• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

San Diego in June

DarrenR

I swear I am number 8!
This is a rare thing. :thumbs: I am actually being sent to a conference the week of June 18th. I don't travel much and I have not been in Cal in 17 years.
I have a couple of questions for you Cal folks out there.
1) Is there anyplace to smoke cigar in downtown San Diego? My life for the week will consist of a hotel and the convention center.
2) Any good eats in that same area?
3) I have not traveled since 9/11 so as far as cigars go is there any issues to packing them? ???
This may be my only chance to meet some of my west coast BOTL. Would anyone want to get together for a herf somewhere if we can set it up? :thumbs:
If so lets set it up.
DarrenR

This is a rare thing. :thumbs: I am actually being sent to a conference the week of June 18th. I don't travel much and I have not been in Cal in 17 years.
1) Is there anyplace to smoke cigar in downtown San Diego? My life for the week will consist of a hotel and the convention center.
3) I have not traveled since 9/11 so as far as cigars go is there any issues to packing them? ???
This may be my only chance to meet some of my west coast BOTL. Would anyone want to get together for a herf somewhere if we can set it up? :thumbs:
If so lets set it up.
DarrenR

Concerning question #3, you don't have anything to worry about with transporting cigars. I just came back from Tampa a couple of weeks ago and brought back about 30 or so with me in my carry-on bag. I've done this a couple of times in the past few months. The thing you definitely don't want to do though is to accidentally bring your torch lighter or cutter. It would be a shame to have those confiscated!

If so lets set it up.
DarrenR

Concerning question #3, you don't have anything to worry about with transporting cigars. I just came back from Tampa a couple of weeks ago and brought back about 30 or so with me in my carry-on bag. I've done this a couple of times in the past few months. The thing you definitely don't want to do though is to accidentally bring your torch lighter or cutter. It would be a shame to have those confiscated!

What he said! Get some toys from Cigarmony to protect important things. ;)

I have just returned on two 12 hour flights, stopped in London for three hours. (that's right, 24 hours of flying - killer!) Before I left I bought a 50 count travel humidor from Mark at Cigarmony.com that amazed me. I never added distilled water to The Puck in 5 weeks. The humi stayed at a steady 65% RH even with many hours in the hold.

As for San Diego, so many restaurants, so many places, take your pick from the link sent to you, none will disappoint you. As for B&M's - there are several, all of which I don't frequent, I just don't like getting ripped with the taxes. We are fortunate in this part of the world, it is never too cold on my deck for a cigar.

Brian

Stay away from San Diego at all costs... I hear the weather is pure hell in June. :whistling:

You are actually allowed to bring a cutter. It is listed on the 'permissible items' list and I haven't had a problem yet.

You are actually allowed to bring a cutter. It is listed on the 'permissible items' list and I haven't had a problem yet.

Wow, that's really stupid if this is true. It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to take one apart and have a nice little blade. I wonder what they're thinking on this one.

I don't think you're going to have any trouble finding a good restaurant. Sounds like you'll be near the Gas Lamp District. Tons of good places to eat.

PM'd, get mini-herf going. Infinity? Bigvinny? Anyone else interested? Let's give Darren the ol' SoCal greeting.....

So for clarification, can you check lighter and cutter, just not in your carry-on? I know they make the transpacks for the lighters, but my understanding was they still had to be checked.

Darren,

You're going too far south. You need to come to LA, we'll treat you well. :D

Darren,

You're going too far south. You need to come to LA, we'll treat you well. :D

True, the BTOL's of LA can be persuasive but the BOTL's of SD can take care of you....... ;)

Nice. SD in june. I'm from just north of there (escondido). You'll want to check out Captain Hunt's shop over in Sea Port Village (look for the hyatt... 2 big hotels that looks like flat head screwdrivers). Nice shop to sit and enjoy the weather. Also there's a cigar bar downtown. I havent been there myself (have to be 21 to enter) but it lookds cool from the outside.

As far as restaruants go... they just opened a place in Hillcrest called Hash House A Gogo. Won best new restaurant in SD in 2001. http://www.hashhouseagogo.com/

Close to that is Kemo Sabe. AMAZING Pan-asian fusion cuisine.... get the potted brownie with Kaluha ice cream for dessert!

Over closer to your area you'll find great places too. Anywhere in the gaslap will treat you right. If you like indian food then check out Masala... I took my girlfriend there and had some of the best food i've had in SD http://www.masalarestaurant.com/masalarestaurant.html

for some cheap eats check out Dick's Last Resort and you can't miss going to In-n-Out burger. There arent any downtown (to my knowlege) but just outside of it you'll find a couple. It is a must!

Oh also in sea port village there's a burger joint in the food area. Great burgers. have one before you head to Captain Hunts!

Hope that helped a little. Any more questions let me know.

Chris

PS- when in june are you goign to be there? I'm new to the site and want to get a herf of some sort together with the southern cali people. :thumbs:

Hmm... June 18th I'll be finished with finals and the school year. I think maybe we could get a herf goin'. Let me know if anything gets planned.

Upon my list of recommendations for food... Karl Strauss Brewery for some good beer and grub... If you're lookin' for a nice steakhouse try Donovan's in La Jolla... I think they used to have a Cigar bar there but I haven't been there in about 2 years, so who knows!? The mexican food is great... try any place that ends with -ertos.

Have fun! San Diego is a helluva place :thumbs: :love: :thumbs:

-Vinny

ps... a SD mini-herf sooner would also be a good idea! Infinity's house!! :laugh: :laugh:

So for clarification, can you check lighter and cutter, just not in your carry-on? I know they make the transpacks for the lighters, but my understanding was they still had to be checked.
For what it's worth, I know a member of another board whose lighter turned up missing after a flight. He kept it inside his checked luggage in one of them Colibri Tranzpacks. It was one of his medium quality lighters and he kept it somewhat near the flap. The luggage turned up on the carousel slightly open from its inspection. He cannot say whether the lighter had fallen out from the luggage being left open or if it had been confiscated.

All the same, I would suggest a moderate amount of caution and not take your best and/or most beloved lighters during travel. At least, not until those Tranzpacks are widely known of and widely known to be approved. I doubt every single TSA employee knows of each and every item on the approved/"no no" list. Especially since that list seems to be continuously changing.

Sorry for not being around the last week or 2. PC issues.
:thumbs: A herf would be great guys.
I fly in on the 17th and I leave on the 22nd. My hotel is about 3 blocks from the convention center and as of right now I will not have a rental car.
My schedule will be book during the day. Especially Tuesday, I am speaking at the conference.
I would love to get together with some of you. I may never make it back out this way.
Let me know.
I am open for anything.
Thanks.

Sorry for not being around the last week or 2. PC issues.
:thumbs: A herf would be great guys.
I fly in on the 17th and I leave on the 22nd. My hotel is about 3 blocks from the convention center and as of right now I will not have a rental car.
My schedule will be book during the day. Especially Tuesday, I am speaking at the conference.
I would love to get together with some of you. I may never make it back out this way.
Let me know.
I am open for anything.
Thanks.

Darren,

I have an open schedule that week in the evenings. I suggest after Tuesday so you are in a relaxed frame of mind after your presentation. I know there are two shops within the a few blocks from convention center area. I don't usually frequent them due to the "sticker shock" (location, location, location) :angry: . But hey, to meet other BOTL it's on! :thumbs: :rolleyes:

Lets get the others to chime in becaused I noticed some interest. Vinny? Infinity? Chris? Others? Let's HERF!

Yea They have three cigar shops in the gaslamp area two are great places to herf but only one sells beer and wine thats Cesar’s Cigars
they never have objected to me bringing my own smokes as long as I purchased a few drinks (so that will save some money). As for location you couldnt find a better spot right in the middle of all the action that is downtown San Diego, it's great you can sit outside smoke and watch the talent walk by (if you know what I mean :cool: ) I know the owner so let me know if thats a good place I'm sure he would love to have us.

I was at Cesar's last night. I try to stop by every time I'm in downtown and they have always treated me well there.

Darren,

I have an open schedule that week in the evenings. I suggest after Tuesday so you are in a relaxed frame of mind after your presentation. I know there are two shops within the a few blocks from convention center area. I don't usually frequent them due to the "sticker shock" (location, location, location) :angry: . But hey, to meet other BOTL it's on! :thumbs: :rolleyes:

Lets get the others to chime in becaused I noticed some interest. Vinny? Infinity? Chris? Others? Let's HERF!

I am in for a few drinks and a smoke. Just don't make it too early. Traffic sucks going that way.