• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Saving cigars...

After reading through this thread... I consider right now to be a special occasion. Just got off work a couple hours ago... I'm alive... and it's Friday!

In honor of this thread I just torched a Tatuaje Cojonu 2006 I've had sitting in the humi. It may not seem like a super premium to everyone but this is my first brown label... I love the Havana VI's... and so far I'm really loving the Cojonu :D :D

Cheers!

this thread inspired me also, if it werent 1am, I'da gone out and smoked the Millennium...or something equally rare-to-me.

I may only have one, and not be able to get another till summer, but Y'all are right. I shouldn't get caught up in worrying about wasting or what have you. Perhaps I will Sit out in the sun tomorrow after I go wash the jeep.

I can't bring myself to smoke the only Cohiba I have. It's a Maduro 5 Secretos and they're just so damn expensive!

I love gifting people these types of cigars. It makes me so happy. And I also love saving them for a special day that will never arrive :p

I'm completely guilty of saving cigars for a "special occasion." While I don't really mind this habit because I think it makes me enjoy them more on the occasions when I actually do smoke one of them, this thread has inspired my to fire up a Davidoff I've had sitting at the top of my humidor for a while.

I've got one daughter getting married in two weeks and the other one in October. I'm guessing most of "special occasion" sticks will be gone by 2009. The good news is, then get to start saving to have stuff to pass out when I start having grandkids!

Unless you are specifically aging them, because you are experimenting, or are familiar with the particular cigar's aged characteristics, Smoke em if you want to. You only live once.

I think it is perfectly normal to have 1 or 2 rare smokes set aside for a special occasion.

Smoke what you can according to how much time you have to enjoy it. If you have cheaper sticks, smoke them golfing or driving, when your mind is distracted. Make time for your premiums, so you can appreciate them more.

Personally, I only set aside rare sticks like Limited Editions etc. The last special occasion cigar I smoked was a Partagas Serie D No 4 Reserva 2000, when my daughter was born.

I am much more guilty of this with my wine than I am with my cigars. I will save certain cigars for special occ's but, also find myself lightin up a super premium stick on a random day.

Especailly this time of year when I am not smoking as many. Now any chance I get to sit down and enjoy a good smoke is in itself a special occassion and justifiies a top notch stick.

I'm a newbie so everything is new, but I bought a few sticks I don't plan on smoking except for a special occasion.

Guilty as charged, I'll hold onto the super premies "aging them" as someone put it, and wait for that "special" occasion. Besides, there are enough really good "everyday" smokes that I enjoy that easily curb my appetite for the super premiums. Hell, I've found a .75¢ stick that I enjoy that does the job.

Since I've had to restart my humi, I've not really had enough sticks around to save any. I enjoy smoking them too much.

As a matter of fact, I was planning to go pick up a box of CAO's tomorrow, but it seems our snow storm is gonna stop that trip. That leaves me with one Big Butt stick, and 2 Felipe Gregorio Dos Capas.

When my collection was up to snuff though, I was guilty many times of saving a good stick for a special occasion. (Special occasions being a gathering of friends or a night out.)

I think my mindset now is that if I want a good smoke, I'm gonna smoke it.

I've got one daughter getting married in two weeks and the other one in October. I'm guessing most of "special occasion" sticks will be gone by 2009. The good news is, then get to start saving to have stuff to pass out when I start having grandkids!

I agree, it's definitely a special occasion when the kids leave the home for just you and you wife again. :laugh: I love my kids but even more now that we are, as we were, when we started off... alone.
Guilty as charged, I'll hold onto the super premies "aging them" as someone put it, and wait for that "special" occasion. Besides, there are enough really good "everyday" smokes that I enjoy that easily curb my appetite for the super premiums. Hell, I've found a .75¢ stick that I enjoy that does the job.
So, you are aging $5.00 cigars?...if you are smoking .75¢ sticks, a $5.00 one must be like a super premium to you :laugh:

Brian

when ya get diagnosed with cancer at age 16 you are quick to realize that every day is a VERY VERY special occasion.

Burn 'em all & enjoy them all. Went out on my back deck yesterday and had a Padron '26 anv. just for the hell of it. Can't take 'em with me, so what the hell am i saving 'em for?

Just remember, everyday is a special day, live life to the fullest & dont look back.

I just read through this whole topic... very interesting responses so far! In addition to the previous "smoke 'em if you've got 'em" ideas, my experience is as follows...

At least 50% of my enjoyment of a cigar is dependent on variables outside of the cigar: mood, time of day, taste/flavor craving, weather, etc... I've wasted a couple high-class cigars because I was saving them for a particular occasion. Fortunately, it didn't take me long to realize that it's a mistake! If you save a particular cigar for a particular occasion, you feel obligated to smoke it when that occasion arrives. If any of the aforementioned variables aren't in the right mode for enjoying that cigar, you're just cheating yourself out of the fullest experience for that cigar! In addition, the psychological hype usually ends up making it a bit of a disappointment for me.

I've since taken the position that I'm "aging" whatever good smokes happen to be in my humidor at the time. I don't smoke 'em for just any craving (which I usually get every time I look at them). I wait until I just feel the variables are all perfect and then I fire it up. It could be a special occasion, or just any old Tuesday - but my enjoyment of the cigar is peaked because I know I'm in the perfect mood/setting/etc. for it.

That having been said, I do understand the idea of keeping "special" cigars for "special" occasions (a 10yr old cigar for your 10yr old's birthday, etc.). My point is, don't be afraid to light up a super-premium when the mood really hits you, chances are you'll enjoy it more than you will when that special occasion finally rolls around!

Mind you I do collect cigars, but I do not buy them so I can look at them for years. I will burn any cigar at any time. I don't care what the occasion is. So if I get the urge to smoke a OR Anejo or just a Opus X Lancero, I will pull it out and fire that bad boy up. Life is to short to sit and wait for a special occasion.

Every day I'm alive and walking, its a special occasion for me as the spinal disease is now working on destroying the other Vertebrae in the L1-L4 and L5-S1. Well, L5 is all but gone. :laugh: But some cigars it takes a little more for me to fire up than others. But any cigar is in danger near me. :laugh:

Everyone has their own opinion on the matter and each one is right. I have a 50 count humi where I keep my "special" sticks. There is a pair of each type ( Millennium, Taboada, DCdA, certain EL and RE Cubans, and about 10 sets of Cubans from 1998-my son's birth year) that I plan on sitting on for a special occasions to smoke with my son when he's old enough and if the interest is there. I've heard the "smoke 'em now you might not be here tomorrow" theories and such, but if I'm not here tomorrow, I wouldn't have gotten the chance to smoke them with my son anyway. Hell, I smoked a Don Carlos Edicion de Aniversario yesterday and chunked it halfway through and I might do the same in 8 more years when I fire up a Millennium. Each person is different and will have a different view on "saving" cigars....this just happens to be mine and my reason for doing so.