• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Scotch & Irish reviews, links & info

Only because I'm curious.. and willing to indulge myself..

but would you consider a few reviews of the 'odd malts' ?

And I don't mean champagne casked (old tired) vintage scotch.. but the (mostly) newer boutique spirits?

There are several I have little access to, and it's difficult to know whether to chase the oddities.

St George (8 yr, California, smokey rich fruity malt)

Lot 40 (Canada, heavily flavored blending whisky)

Glen Breton (Canada, single malt)

MacTarnahan, Pure Malt Scotch blended in Oregon.. (I've Had that one, wondered how you'ld rate it, light smoke, Highland Park'ish)

Old Portrero Rye Malt (126 proof) 3 yr old (USA)

Connemara Cask Strength (binnys barrel, I think, might be sams)

Bushmills Sherry Cask.. (and rum & bourbon casks if they're available)

And, heck, an aged rum wouldn't offend me either.. Just in CASE that 30 year old Demerara runs in front of your glass.. :whistling:

these are 'idle thoughts' not a request list, and i'd expect to contribute somewhat to searches and sample sharing.. :)

If any of those make it into my inventory I'd consider doing a review or if someone sent me a bottle or sample. However, none of them are high on my buy list. Right now I'm working on getting a bottle from every scotch distillery that produced from 1956 to present day. I've got about 43 to go and some of them are horribly expensive (Kinclaith and Glen Flagler come to mind at over $700) so they may never make it. Others may get bought but I'm not actively looking for them. Also, if I ever find a 1964 Balvenie Vintage Cask it will kill my buying of anything else for quite some time.

Ray, What would you like to review in the $150-$300 range? My treat(sample, not the whole bottle :D )! Hunt it down, I'll send you out payment and you can sample it,review it and send me the rest!

Let me think on that. Most of what I'm looking for isn't available in the States. I certainly appreciate the generous offer :thumbs:

Doesn't matter if it's avalible stateside or not. If you can aquire it, I will do it! :thumbs:

OK, I have one. Details in PM to follow.

Number 75 is done and reviewd. Littlemill 18 yo Lowland Scotch.

Review #86 is done and posted. Caol Ila Cigar Malt

A special sample from Smokyballs is done and reviewed. The Glenrothes 1972. Be sure to look at my Glenrothes 1974 review to see how they compare.

Hey Ray, I noticed you haven't reviewed a Lagavulin! I can't believe that this wouldn't be a favorite on the Islay side of things for you? What's up with this?

Just haven't gotten to it. I've got 2 of them now too.

Probably a couple of Signatory cask strenght bottles followed by a Lagavulin! :whistling:

I don't see anybody voting so I have one picked out for Sunday. Party tonight so that isn't good time to do a review.

The latest review is done and posted Craiduff 1973 32 yo Single Malt

Review #89 is done and posted. Lagavulin 16 Islay Scotch

Number 79 is done and posted, Laphroaig Quarter Cask Islay Single Malt.

Item #68 is done and reviewed. Glen Garioch 10 yo Highland Single Malt Scotch

#107 is done and reviewed. Benriach 10 yo Highland Single Malt Scotch