• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Season creep

tomthirtysix

Wishing I was as cool as Phil
It was very nice of the folks at Sam Adams to start the festivities even earlier this year by getting their Octoberfest to shelves when it was 100°
 in the northeast. Can't fault them, though. they had already run out of their summer ale, which hit shelves the first week of March. When most of the northeast had snow.

I'm no mathemagician, but 1st week of March isn't even spring yet. And they're already forcing summer down your throat.

Now, full disclosure, I don't like most summer beers. I don't know why, but I have yet to find one I like. For me, the fall releases are the best of the year. But it's just too damn hot out to be drinking that stuff now. Plus, where the hell are you getting pumpkin in June to brew for July release? For the most part, craft beer drinkers like to pride themselves on wanting the best from their beer, but there's evidently enough of a demand that people don't care if the pumpkin beer they're drinking is made with canned pumpkin.

I read about a place up near Boston, Craft Beer Cellar, who refuses to put a fall seasonal on their shelves until September 1. Good for them. I wish more retailers would do this and get the message to brewers that we don't want fall beers at our July 4th BBQ. And if timing holds true, next year you'll be able to do just that. Or maybe we can just wait another 40 years until the calendar restes itself.

Think about this every year when Octoberfest is out in August and September but sold out come October....

Paul

I hate this trend of seasonal releases happening earlier and earlier.  It's no longer seasonal.  I read a good article explaining why this is happening, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.  (Luckily for me, I don't buy many Octoberfest beers and don't buy any pumpkin beers).

I saw Pumking on the shelves the other day at $8.99 a bottle I was tempted!

-Rob

I buy my Halloween stock in July, I buy my Christmas stuff in September and my summer beers in March.  This is America pal, love it or GTFO!

Southern Tier Pumking!  Yum...that beer is good year round IMHO.  As for seasonal creep, I think it's only natural.  It's not a symptom that is only prevalent when it comes to beer, but clothing and electronics (i.e., smartphones) as well.  Everyone is fighting for the consumer's dollar and more often than not, the early bird gets the worm.  

thechenman said:
Southern Tier Pumking!  Yum...that beer is good year round IMHO.  As for seasonal creep, I think it's only natural.  It's not a symptom that is only prevalent when it comes to beer, but clothing and electronics (i.e., smartphones) as well.  Everyone is fighting for the consumer's dollar and more often than not, the early bird gets the worm.  

The difference is that clothing isn't made with seasonal cotton. You're not getting an inferior product because the cotton used to make your shirt came from a can. Same with your phone.

Seasonal beers are (or were) produced seasonally because they used seasonally available ingredients and so that they would be fresh and available when the season came around.

You cannot have a pumpkin beer brewed from freshly harvested pumpkins on the shelves in July. That means it was brewed in June at the latest, but perhaps much earlier.

You cannot have a hop harvest ale in March, because hops are not harvested until August. 

This applies to more beer styles, but you get the drift.

There is a brewing calendar that has existed for hundreds of years, and it's organized that way for a reason.

I've always been somewhat of a nonconformist.  I'll drink a stout in July and a lager in January.  I'm really happy to see all of the barrel aged stouts hit the market so I don't have to wait on the chance that I may be able to get a few bottles of BCS in January.  I hope the beer police don't come take away my beer drinking license. :D

Yup, I was amazed to see cases of Wasatch Pumpkin Beer being unloaded near the registers today.