• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Second brew.

LilBastage

Meat is murder! Tasty, tasty murder.
Here's the stout I brewed today.

Recipe: Ode to Arthur Stout
Style: Dry Stout
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 4.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.92 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 27.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU

4 lbs 11.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 58.12 %
2 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 24.78 %
14.1 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 10.90 %
8.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 6.20 %
44.00 gm Goldings, E. Kent (60 min) Hops 36.6 IBU
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale

It went pretty well. I hit my pre-boil gravity on the nose, hit my original gravity on the nose, and hit my volume just about on the nose. Efficiency was right at 70% or so, which is not out of line for this system and is the efficiency upon which the recipe was based.

I did burn my second element, though. Apparently, I got a couple of bits of grain into the kettle and one stuck to the element during the boil and caused a hot spot, burning the element out. I'm not 100% positive that this is what happened, but I can't figure any other reason the element would just burn out 3/4 of the way during the boil after working perfectly for the rest of the session. Luckily, I was able to finish the last few minutes of the boil on the stove top.

The new wort counter flow cooler was aces and the wort tastes pretty damn good. All in all, I'm calling this a success. I'm going to have to figure this element thing out, though. If I have to replace it after each session, it's going to get expensive. Here are some pics:

IMG_0911.JPG

Hops and grain ready to go.

IMG_0912.JPG

On the way to strike temp.

IMG_0913.JPG

New pic of system. I needed a bigger bucket to contain the CFC. The height is better for draining the tun, as well.

IMG_0915.JPG

Mash in. I hit the temp on the button.

IMG_0917.JPG

Just about to boil. I've skimmed a lot of the "stuff" on top to try to avoid a boil over.

IMG_0918.JPG

Yeast is pitched. 4 gallons of stouty goodness! :love:

IMG_0919.JPG

I use a water bath to keep the temp fairly constant. The ambient temp in the basement is pretty much 62-63, but at times TheWife© turns the heat up in the house and it will jump up to 67-68.

Thanks for looking. I'm pretty excited about this batch. :)

Excellent play-by-play Alan. You are quickly turning towards brewmaster territory! I saw your same style-setup in an HB magazine tonight, so now I understand a little more about the functions of each piece of it. Here's to a good stout! How long are you going to ferment for?

Probably about 3 weeks or so. I'll know better once I get a couple of SG readings. I'm not really planning on moving it until I keg it, so I'll let it ferment and then condition a bit before that. I'm planning on at least 2 weeks conditioning in the fermenter after fermentation is complete before kegging. This is going to be for the family get together at Christmas, so there's plenty of time, I think.

guess I might go look for my 5.5gal glass carboy, see about shipping it to you.

Good work Alan! Interesting that there's acid malt in a stout, guess that would replace the partial sour mash like in Guiness?

A spray bottle filled with water is money for preventing boil overs btw.

I fill a spray bottle with some sanitizer on brew day. Works for boil overs as well as sanitizing something in a pinch, including your hands.

That's a really nice setup Alan, I have to look into that thread you linked a while back again when I get some free time.

guess I might go look for my 5.5gal glass carboy, see about shipping it to you.
It would probably cost an arm and a leg. It's a nice (and completely unnecessary) offer, Bruce. I appreciate it.

Good work Alan! Interesting that there's acid malt in a stout, guess that would replace the partial sour mash like in Guiness?

Thanks! I'm pretty satisfied with the session, all things considered. Yeah, the acid malt is supposed to take care of the sour mash. This is the "lazy man's" Guinness clone. We'll see how close it is. I wish I had a beer gas setup with a stout faucet, but that's an expense that's gonna have to wait.

I had the spray bottle ready, but there were a few bits of grain I wanted to get out, too. I need to go to the smaller braid. I used a water heater supply hose braid and the openings were a bit large for the roasted barley.

I fill a spray bottle with some sanitizer on brew day. Works for boil overs as well as sanitizing something in a pinch, including your hands.

That's a really nice setup Alan, I have to look into that thread you linked a while back again when I get some free time.
StarSan in a spay bottle is one of the best tips I've picked up.

The system is featured in the Nov. issue of Brew Your Own magazine. It's also featured on their website.

16 hours after pitching, fermentation is underway:

IMG_0920.JPG

Well, I kegged this beer today.

The fermentation got stuck at 1.020 so I had to rouse the yeast a bit to get it closer to finish. I still got pretty poor attenuation as it finished at 1.018. I'm attributing that to aeration problems. I need to get an aeration setup as I just can't lift and shake a carboy full of wort for very long with my back. The temps were well within range and I pitched plenty of yeast according to the calculator at Mr. Malty.

The flavor is a bit heavy on the roast and not quite as dry as I was hoping (due to the lack of attenuation, I'm sure).

Overall, it's a pretty easy drinker, but the heavy roast makes it a little rough on the finish. We'll see how it is once it's carbed.

Next up will be a Honey Amber after the beginning of the new year.

Well, I kegged this beer today.

The fermentation got stuck at 1.020 so I had to rouse the yeast a bit to get it closer to finish. I still got pretty poor attenuation as it finished at 1.018. I'm attributing that to aeration problems. I need to get an aeration setup as I just can't lift and shake a carboy full of wort for very long with my back. The temps were well within range and I pitched plenty of yeast according to the calculator at Mr. Malty.

The flavor is a bit heavy on the roast and not quite as dry as I was hoping (due to the lack of attenuation, I'm sure).

Overall, it's a pretty easy drinker, but the heavy roast makes it a little rough on the finish. We'll see how it is once it's carbed.

Next up will be a Honey Amber after the beginning of the new year.
Sucks about the attenuation prob, Alan. You are correct about aeration/oxygenation helping with that issue. As for it being a bit roasty, I have found that some conditioning time after carbonating has helped my Porters and Stouts mellow out a bit. BTW, well done!

I think you might want to try ramping up the temperature on the yeast. After replication of the yeast, and fermentation has slowed, ramp up the temperature. This will force the yeast to go at it and you won't really have to worry about esters. You need to get it up to 70F.

I think you might want to try ramping up the temperature on the yeast. After replication of the yeast, and fermentation has slowed, ramp up the temperature. This will force the yeast to go at it and you won't really have to worry about esters. You need to get it up to 70F.
Well, I got it up to 68 when I realized it was stuck. That's what the house is this time of year. It only gave me two more points on the FG. Would the 2 additional degrees have made that much difference? Once it started again it went pretty good for about 24 hours then stopped again.

I'll try to get it warmer next time this happens. I'm sure this beer could be better, but it's satisfactory for the family get together on Saturday. By the time we get to it, half of them won't be tasting it much anyway. :laugh: The Gin & Tonics come first.