• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shaving thread

Gillette is coming out with a DE blade. Coming complete circle :laugh:

But it will only fit in their new razor, introduced at the same time. And the razor won't take any non-Gillette blades.

Which really WOULD be full circle, if you know a little shaving history! :laugh:

~Boar

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270573354223&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I am thinking of bidding on this razor... Any opinions?

Really no need for something vintage to get started with. Many excellent brand new DE razors available from Best Grooming, West Coast and others. I've noticed that razors move quicker on B&B than HTF sticks in here.

I don't mean to sound like a Philistine, but what exactly is the benefit of using all these fancy older (medieval?) devices? Is it just enjoyment of the ritual? Hearkening back to a bygone era? Appreciating doing things how fathers and grandfathers used to do them? Another collecting/equipment-based hobby to geek out on? Some sort of greater satisfaction with the shave itself?

I hate shaving and can't imagine it being a source of enjoyment so I'm curious what the appeal is. I'm kind of jealous of how much most of you seem to enjoy it, but I must admit that I'm also pretty baffled, too.

Thanks!

I don't mean to sound like a Philistine, but what exactly is the benefit of using all these fancy older (medieval?) devices? Is it just enjoyment of the ritual? Hearkening back to a bygone era? Appreciating doing things how fathers and grandfathers used to do them? Another collecting/equipment-based hobby to geek out on? Some sort of greater satisfaction with the shave itself?

I hate shaving and can't imagine it being a source of enjoyment so I'm curious what the appeal is. I'm kind of jealous of how much most of you seem to enjoy it, but I must admit that I'm also pretty baffled, too.

Thanks!

For me it's the ritual.

First of all they're not medieval devices. They're the pinnacle of shaving technology. New is not better. Second, you ever looked at the list of ingredients in a can of shave cream? Third, not only do you get a better shave, it's much cheaper. I pay less than .65 cents for a razor blade. How much you paying for one of those multi-blade contraptions that cause more problems than they solve? Fourth, it feels good. If you're going to put a knife to your throat every morning, why not make it a pleasurable experience.

Doc.

I hate shaving and can't imagine it being a source of enjoyment . . .

Well, there you go, actually.

The main reason is so that shaving IS a source of enjoyment when it's done right. A morning "moment of Zen," a calm "manly ritual," the intrinsic satisfaction of quality shave gear and flawless technique . . . not to mention that I'm cheaper than Doc; my blades run me 12¢ each and last a week. :D

Skin's better, too, than when I was using an electric. LOTS better.

~Boar

First of all they're not medieval devices. They're the pinnacle of shaving technology. New is not better. Second, you ever looked at the list of ingredients in a can of shave cream? Third, not only do you get a better shave, it's much cheaper. I pay less than .65 cents for a razor blade. How much you paying for one of those multi-blade contraptions that cause more problems than they solve? Fourth, it feels good. If you're going to put a knife to your throat every morning, why not make it a pleasurable experience.

Doc.

That pretty much sums it up. Shaving creams today can't compare to the 'old style' creams and soaps from Harris, Trumper, Proraso, etc. And blades, well, when I got my Feathers they were about $34 shipped for 10 packs. That's .34 each. I've seen other blades go for as little as .20 per.

Doc.

That pretty much sums it up. Shaving creams today can't compare to the 'old style' creams and soaps from Harris, Trumper, Proraso, etc. And blades, well, when I got my Feathers they were about $34 shipped for 10 packs. That's .34 each. I've seen other blades go for as little as .20 per.

The blades are dirt cheap. The shaving creams feel amazing, especially from a warm mug. Personally I hated shaving with the fancy multi-blade cartridge razors and ended up switching to an electric for a year and a bit. The Gillette is strictly for shaving my head in the warmer months now. I find the whole shave process is very relaxing and now I don't have to deal with the cartridge razors pulling the hair and cutting it. Much more comfortable.

Well great. After reading this thread, I just had to try it myself. And I'm hooked. :love: I ordered my supplies from Truefitt and Hill and used them for the first time last night. It was a bit dicey at times, but already the quality of my shave is much better. I even got a compliment from my COL this morning, so I guess that's something.

First cigars, then pipes, now this...what's next CP? :D

Thanks for all the explanation. I'm still a student so I can get away with looking like a goat most of the time so I generally shave my face about as often as I run the clippers over my head--usually every 2 or 3 weeks or so. #1 guard on the head, pop the guard off and run it over my face in order to make shaving a little less obnoxious.

I've got a Schick Quattro right now and I hate it. It seems to me that the only advantage that four blades offers is that it's three times as easy to clog up than a double-bladed cartridge. It's grueling. I had a Gillette Sensor for 15 years before it broke, and the Quattro was the least complicated replacement I could find. I tried getting another Sensor but I guess it's not complex enough to justify charging $4 per blade or whatever so I imagine they're not very widely distributed.

Once I join the workforce and have to look respectable on a daily basis, I'm going to give serious consideration to picking up a more "old school" razor based on all the positive things you guys have to say about the whole kit and kaboodle.

I sent the following letter to Gillette last summer when my Sensor crapped out, hoping they'd send me a new Sensor handle.

To Whom It May Concern:

I received a Gillette Sensor in the mail shortly after I turned 18 and had registered with the Selective Service during the spring of 1994.

I have used that same Gillette Sensor ever since. It has been a small part of my life--playing a role at the beginning of every important day I've had since then, and most of the regular, uneventful days as well. I don't mean to suggest that it has ever changed my life in any meaningful way, but it has been a constant, reliable, comfortable presence for these past 15 years.

I used it the day I graduated from high school, the days of numerous job interviews, my first day of college, the days of many dates including the first date with the woman who is now my wife, the day of my graduation from college, my first day of law school, my graduation from law school, my wedding, the day of my mother's funeral, my first day of graduate school, and every day when I have had an important presentation to give to colleagues or faculty members as I pursue my Ph.D.

It has followed me around the world, spending time in all four hemispheres. It accompanied me to the Dominican Republic when I went down there to build a church. It has been to Canada, England, Scotland, Costa Rica, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, and Peru. It has hiked the Inca Trail and it has spent weeks in the heart of the Amazon.

It has been with me through fifteen moves including homes in Champaign, Rock Island, Lombard, and Bloomington, Illinois as well as Chapel Hill, North Carolina and Miami, Florida.

Several weeks ago, on the day I was to defend my Master's thesis to my faculty committee so that I could proceed to the Ph.D. phase of my graduate studies, as I stood at my bathroom sink shaving, the old Gillette Sensor finally gave out. It had been wearing down for a year or so with the spring-loaded clips which hold the blade slowly growing less sprung. Sometimes I'd have to take care to get the clips back into their housings mid-shave, but on that fateful day in late July, not only did the springs cease springing, but one of the two "shoulder" clips on the handle broke into two pieces. If I could figure out a way to fix it, I would. But I can't think of any way to do so without access to proprietary spare parts.

Just like every person who has ever taken an introductory level marketing class knows (as well as many people who haven't), I'm familiar with your clever business model of making the razor handle itself very cheap or free, and recouping your profit on the blades.

I do not have any problem whatsoever with this strategy. It's clever and I don't mind playing my part. I couldn't hazard a guess as far as how much I've spent on razor blades over these past 15 years, but I bet you have a fairly good idea.

As such, I was hoping that you would be willing to send me a new razor handle. I'm not interested in some sort of octoblade novelty/monstrosity with exfoliating strips, moisturizing strips, aromatherapy strips, or whatever vital nonsense is currently in vogue in the arms race of The Latest In Disposable Razor Blade Technology. The simplicity of the Sensor suited me just fine.

If you no longer have a Sensor available (it's hard to navigate your website in any meaningful fashion--it's like the Don King of websites--lots to look at, lots going on, and certainly flashy, but not a lot of substance...) I'd prefer it if you'd send along the next closest, most simple alternative. I don't need a razor I can synchronize with my iPod.

I certainly don't feel like you owe me a replacement because the free handle you sent me 15 years ago finally broke--please do not misunderstand my intent or my tone. I'm simply hoping that you'd be willing to supply the handle for my next 15 years of shaving and I'll shell out the small fortune for the blades. A sponsorship or a partnership, if you will.

My face is getting itchy in the Miami summer heat. I have not shaved since my Sensor broke (I finished my face the day of my thesis defense by borrowing one of my wife's razors) and I have been too busy with my comprehensive exams in the time since then to sit down and write you this letter until now.

I do not plan on shaving again until I get a new razor from you in the mail or I hear back that my request will not be honored, in which case, I don't know what I'll do.

Thank you very much for your time and attention. I hope this gets to the right people rather than stuck in some sort of customer service limbo.

Thank you very much for the Sensor all those years ago, too.

Sincerely,
Stephen W. Joy

They responded by sending me a coupon for $5 off a new Sensor. The coupon was very specific that it couldn't be used for any other Gillette product besides the Sensor. I looked for a Sensor at three different stores and never found one, thus settling on my current piece of crap Quattro. I wrote Gillette again to tell them as much.

Karen,

I received the coupon the other day. I made sure to bring it with me when I went to the grocery store today so that I could pick up a new razor and shave this awful beard off of my face.

Unfortunately, my local Publix supermarket did not have any Sensors in stock, and since the coupon was very explicit about only being valid for Sensors and because I don't want a razor with 5 blades, a trimmer blade (not everyone who shaves hopes to look like Kevin Federline), a vibrating housing, and all the other superfluous crap being added to razors these days, I wasn't able to find anything.

I stopped by my local CVS to see if they had any Sensors. They didn't have any Sensors either, though they did have some slightly more subdued and straightforward options that I would have settled for had my coupon not have been so restrictive. I then went to Walgreen’s to look for a Sensor, and they didn’t have any. Since my coupon was only for Sensors, and I didn't feel like driving to a fourth location and continuing to eat away at the net value of my $5 coupon in terms of my time and my fuel consumption, I found a good deal on a Schick Midnight Quattro (still more blades than I desire but no "turbo" strips, K-Fed trimmers, upside down blades, or anything requiring battery power).

I got the handle and two blades plus a free four-pack of blades for $10.69 after tax. The replacement blades seemed to be the least outrageously priced of Walgreen's stock.

I'd have continued using Gillette products if you'd have just sent me a simple handle like I had hoped for or at least a less restrictive coupon, but it turned into too much of a hassle for me to continue hunting for a retailer with which to redeem my $5 coupon. While I appreciate the gesture, I don't have such brand loyalty to my razor blades that I'd continue to jump through additional hoops for the privilege of signing up to fork over another decade's worth of my money on what we can both agree is a very generously marked-up product.

Thanks for the Sensor from 1994. It worked out pretty well for me. Maybe I'll write to you guys again in another 15 years when my Schick Quattro breaks.

Stephen W. Joy

After that, they sent me another coupon for a free Sensor, but considering that the die was cast with the Quattro (to say nothing of the apparent scarcity of Sensors) I never cashed it in.

Well great. After reading this thread, I just had to try it myself. And I'm hooked.
wub.gif
I ordered my supplies from Truefitt and Hill and used them for the first time last night. It was a bit dicey at times, but already the quality of my shave is much better. I even got a compliment from my COL this morning, so I guess that's something.

First cigars, then pipes, now this...what's next CP?
biggrin.gif

$300 bottles of Scotch.
ohmy.gif
And $12 bottles of beer.
unsure.gif

Doc.

Well...after another attempt of shaving my head using a Feather, it's the only blade that I find myself getting nicked with. I'm not sure if I want to try using the razor on a lower setting (5 is what I use for every other blade), or accept that Feathers just might not be my favorite blades. I've got 2 unopened 10 packs. Maybe changing the setting when I begin shaving my head will do the trick? So far, my favorite blades are Derby Extra's and Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge's in the yellow package. Mainly because I get a great shave with them, without the nicks and cuts... :D

Well great. After reading this thread, I just had to try it myself. And I'm hooked.
wub.gif
I ordered my supplies from Truefitt and Hill and used them for the first time last night. It was a bit dicey at times, but already the quality of my shave is much better. I even got a compliment from my COL this morning, so I guess that's something.

First cigars, then pipes, now this...what's next CP?
biggrin.gif

$300 bottles of Scotch.
ohmy.gif
And $12 bottles of beer.
unsure.gif

Doc.

Let's not forget $100 bottles of Balsamic vinegar! ;)

Check, check, and not quite yet check!

PJ

I shaved my head about a month ago and now I've done it maybe 3 times since. I'm pretty much hooked on shaving my head, it's fun. Don't know why but it is. I stopped by Walmart last night to pick up some cartridges for my Mach 3 and whoa...prices are truly unjustifiable. 8 for $14?? Then I remembered seeing a shaving thread on CP.

I was just looking for some simple beginner's tools on eBay and watching some of those videos that Doc had mentioned in a previous post. All I have to say is: Damn this thread!!!

I shaved my head about a month ago and now I've done it maybe 3 times since. I'm pretty much hooked on shaving my head, it's fun. Don't know why but it is. I stopped by Walmart last night to pick up some cartridges for my Mach 3 and whoa...prices are truly unjustifiable. 8 for $14?? Then I remembered seeing a shaving thread on CP.

I was just looking for some simple beginner's tools on eBay and watching some of those videos that Doc had mentioned in a previous post. All I have to say is: Damn this thread!!!

Welcome to the insanity

Well...after another attempt of shaving my head using a Feather, it's the only blade that I find myself getting nicked with. I'm not sure if I want to try using the razor on a lower setting (5 is what I use for every other blade), or accept that Feathers just might not be my favorite blades. I've got 2 unopened 10 packs. Maybe changing the setting when I begin shaving my head will do the trick? So far, my favorite blades are Derby Extra's and Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge's in the yellow package. Mainly because I get a great shave with them, without the nicks and cuts... :D

Have you tried the headblade? I don't shave my head but I hear it's pretty good. From the headblade website: "Also compatible with Gillette Atra (Plus) and Schick Ultrex blades." They are a bunch cheaper than the Mach III cartridges. A quick look on eBay shows Atra cartridges are about .50 apiece.

Welcome to the insanity

Have you tried the headblade? I don't shave my head but I hear it's pretty good. From the headblade website: "Also compatible with Gillette Atra (Plus) and Schick Ultrex blades." They are a bunch cheaper than the Mach III cartridges. A quick look on eBay shows Atra cartridges are about .50 apiece.

I've had a Head Blade for a few years now. I've actually stopped using it, and use a regular razor for my entire head. In the summer, I opt to hit the top of my head with an electric razor, so that I'm not scraping off layers of tanned skin and looking like a mid change gecko. My electric razor is a Braun Pulsonic.

I tried the HeadBlade but just couldn't get used to the hand position. I kept sliding the blade laterally and slicing little bits of scalp off, and not realizing it until after I put my hand with shaving cream on the cut and YEOW! I'll admit I was one of the Gillette latest and greatest followers until I saw this thread. I still use the Fusion to shave my head, and I use the HeadBlade HeadSlick shaving cream. Very slick and lightly mentholated to give a nice cool feeling after rinsing.

Shaving creams are a whole 'nuther story! I have a terrific badger brush and face lather with, mostly, Taylor of Old Bond Street and . . . well . . . Nancy Boy. :laugh:

Yeah, I know. Comes in white tubs with a lil' blue daisy on the front. It gets worse: the back says "tested on boyfriends, not on animals!" ???

Won a gift pack of the stuff on B&B's annual Carnival and was, like, "Wow . . . errrmmm . . . geee . . . uhm, thanks?" :sign:

But after using it . . . wow! I've bought about four tubs of it since. Fantastic product!

I guess I could repackage it in matte black containers that said "Manly Man!" or something. :rolleyes:

~Boar

THE SHAVING THREAD CLAIMS ANOTHER VICTIM!!! :laugh:

Welcome to the club, Los.