• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shaving thread

Stop pussyfooting around and just get some Feathers. You're going to end up using them eventually.

Doc

Stop pussyfooting around and just get some Feathers. You're going to end up using them eventually.

Doc

I wasn't big on Feathers until I got an adjustable razor. They just didn't feel too good in my HD. But in the Mergress, just awesome! No others have given me as great or close of a shave. Mind you, I have only tried a few so far in Mergress, as the Feathers were like the 3 or 4 blade I tried once I got it.

I've been looking at this thread for awhile and wanting to pull the trigger to get set up, but haven't yet. I was talking with my dad about it a few days ago. When he was a kid he used to shave his dad. He was telling me about the hot towel and getting the lather going.

I saw a straight razor today on the Carter Cutlery website. He is apparently making some.
He is a Japanses Trained 17th generation bladesmith. I honestly wouldn't have a clue how his training transfers over to straight razors.
He is asking $800.00 for the one razor I viewed on line. I thought that was spendy as hell, but am curious of any of you have one.

Damn you guys.....I read this forum and got to thinking about a box in the attic. I had been given a bunch of junk that my grandmother was throwing out...I shoved it in the attic. I decided to thumb through it and found the razor below. Looks like a 48-50 Superspeed because of the lack of date code and a notch in the blade holder I read that it's a decent razor...looks like I'm of to get some blades and a starter kit....
IMG_20110812_213929.jpg

IMG_20110812_213919.jpg

Damn you guys.....I read this forum and got to thinking about a box in the attic. I had been given a bunch of junk that my grandmother was throwing out...I shoved it in the attic. I decided to thumb through it and found the razor below. Looks like a 48-50 Superspeed because of the lack of date code and a notch in the blade holder I read that it's a decent razor...looks like I'm of to get some blades and a starter kit....

Yep, that's what it is. Very good, "mild" razor. Excellent learner---in fact my first one was the same model and I passed it on to my nephew when he decided to try traditional wet shaving.

Try some TOBS Eton College for a soft cream, or Mama Bear's Tuscan Memories for a glycerin-based soap. They both smell absolutely fantastic and make great lather. :thumbs:

~Boar

Gary, here's where I bought my original stock of Feather blades and here is a much better price on ebay.

Personally I've never felt much difference between Bic, Feather, Merkur, the "Israelis", Wilkinson (Swede), and others. To each his own, though.

DePasta,
The razor in your post is an excellent razor. I own something like 30 different safety razors and I've used each pretty extensively. I always go back to the early SuperSpeed though.

So I shaved for the first time with it today and I am hooked! Used store brand blades, and barbasol canned foam (I am at the lake...no other options) but it was still an awesome experience. When I get home I am lucky enough to have a store nearby that has a great stock of shaving accessories and blades. Time to dive in.

The shaved is so much easier and relaxing...I am quite surprised. Also, even though I shaved without the kit...it was the closest shave I have had in a while. Much better than the 5 blade I was using.

So I shaved for the first time with it today and I am hooked! Used store brand blades, and barbasol canned foam (I am at the lake...no other options) but it was still an awesome experience. When I get home I am lucky enough to have a store nearby that has a great stock of shaving accessories and blades. Time to dive in.

The shaved is so much easier and relaxing...I am quite surprised. Also, even though I shaved without the kit...it was the closest shave I have had in a while. Much better than the 5 blade I was using.
See if you can get some Proraso shaving cream. The scent is menthol so it's nothing fancy, but it is without peer when it comes to giving cushiony, lubricated shaves.

Do any of you guys go on Badger & Blade?

I read there once in a while but I prefer smf.com. It seems more friendly to me.

See if you can get some Proraso shaving cream. The scent is menthol so it's nothing fancy, but it is without peer when it comes to giving cushiony, lubricated shaves.

Do any of you guys go on Badger & Blade?

I read there once in a while but I prefer smf.com. It seems more friendly to me.

Inexpensive, and excellent quality. I love the cooling feeling of the menthol, especially with a cold cloth after the shave.

I dig the prorasso shave cream, also... I have been meaning to try the pre/post shave. ..... If you want to try it and not wait for it to come in the mail the C.O. Bigelow at Bath and Body Works is rebranded Prorasso.

I can't believe I haven't seen this thread. I picked up badger brush a couple years ago (expensive) and tried a bunch of cremes. Ended up on Trumpers. I love the stuff. I still use one of those 3 or 5 blade new fangled razors. Makes me a shaving poser.

I can't believe I haven't seen this thread. I picked up badger brush a couple years ago (expensive) and tried a bunch of cremes. Ended up on Trumpers. I love the stuff. I still use one of those 3 or 5 blade new fangled razors. Makes me a shaving poser.

I did that for a while...they don't come close to the shave I get with the safety razor.

Onto the 'Feathers'!

(I always wanted to say that!)

I'm a fan of big Speick and D.R. Harris Arlington for soaps. Love the scents! As for creams, I've only used Taylor of Old Bond Street (or TOBS) as mentioned. Been using soap exclusively for the past year or so, might be time to start using cream once in a while.

Speick, Musgo Real, and good old Aqua Velva can't be beat for aftershaves!

Now for another big question for you guys starting out......face or bowl lather?:laugh: