• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shelving for Cooler-dor?

MartyMcFly

I purchased my first cooler today (igloo 48qt.) and am trying to figure out how to mount or create shelving within the cooler. My particular cooler does not have any slots to slide shelving in, so I am wondering how I should go about mounting shelves. Can I just use 4 level screws (serving as pegs) and then just lay a sheet of spanish cedar on top? Will the screws create a leak in my cooler even if i don't put the screw all the way through the outside of the cooler? My other thought was to purchase little angle brackets specifically for shelving and somehow adheering them to the wall of my cooler. Are there any types of adhesives that would be safe to use within my cooler? Any help would be appreciated as I have searched several times and cant seem to find the best way to create shelving in my cooler.

You're going to get different opinions on this, but IMHO shelves and cedar linings just take away valuable storage space. Score some cedar boxes from your local cigar store, put your smokes in them, and put them in the cooler. Done. That's how I ran my cooler(s) when I had them and it worked perfectly.

Regards - B.B.S.

You're going to get different opinions on this, but IMHO shelves and cedar linings just take away valuable storage space. Score some cedar boxes from your local cigar store, put your smokes in them, and put them in the cooler. Done. That's how I ran my cooler(s) when I had them and it worked perfectly.

Regards - B.B.S.

Couldn't agree more. I had shelves initially in my first cooler, and got rid of them to free up space.

Regards - B.B.S.
I totally agree.

The Coleman 48qt is my standard cooler and I have several of these as well as the 50qt unit. IMO, these are too small to benefit from the use of racks or shelving.

Now if you were to go with a 120qt marine cooler, some shelves might be nice but I know of one guy at least who uses 120qt units without shelving and he likes it just fine.

Wilkey

I have to say I have a 110 qt cooler and storage isn't tight enough for concern.

That being said I installed a few cedar shelves and it added ease in organization. I'd be happy to send you a simple plan if you're interested.
Of course you're talking a comperatively smaller space, seeing the dimensions you're speaking of I'd think shelves might be a waste as my aforementioned mentors speak of.

~R

I agree with the others. I have been using my 48qt igloodor just as it is. Looks like its gonna hold around three rows of 5 boxes high. This particular size seems a bit too small to stand up right and put in shelves.

But to each is own... :D

mac

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I'm typically a very neat and organized person so the shelves really appealed to me, but the consesus seems to be "no shelves needed". You would know better than I so I'm going to take your advice and try to find some empty cigar boxes. I assume this is something that I could get from a smoke shop? Thanks again for the advice.

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I'm typically a very neat and organized person so the shelves really appealed to me, but the consesus seems to be "no shelves needed". You would know better than I so I'm going to take your advice and try to find some empty cigar boxes. I assume this is something that I could get from a smoke shop? Thanks again for the advice.

You should be able too. If they try to charge you, let me know and I have a few I can send ya.

Yes, that's right. Most shops will charge you a buck or two a box. You shouldn't pay any more than that if you have to pay at all. The best way to accumulate boxes, of course, is to buy them full. :D

Wilkey

k, I will be checking out my local shops tomorrow. Thanks smellysell I will shoot you a PM if I cant find any.

Yes, that's right. Most shops will charge you a buck or two a box. You shouldn't pay any more than that if you have to pay at all. The best way to accumulate boxes, of course, is to buy them full. :D

Wilkey
Wilkey is on the mark. If they are asking more than a couple of bucks for the boxes you're getting hosed. Also, to be clear, you want cedar boxes. Goal here is to provide a natural humidity buffer for your smokes. Cardboard just isn't as good.....

Regards - B.B.S.

Thanks for the offers guys but i was able to get three boxes from my local B&M. I do however have one more question. Should I store my cigars in these boxes with the lids closed, or should I leave the lids open or take them off completely? Does this affect the aging at all? Thanks in advance

Thanks for the offers guys but i was able to get three boxes from my local B&M. I do however have one more question. Should I store my cigars in these boxes with the lids closed, or should I leave the lids open or take them off completely? Does this affect the aging at all? Thanks in advance
Honestly, it won't much matter. Storage and stacking is only possible if you leave the lids on and boxes closed when in the cooler. That's what I do.

Wilkey

i have an old computer pan (80mm) hooked up to a timer and leave my box lids cracked open very slightly to get some air circulation in there...call me paranoid. wilkey and the other brothers are right on though, follow the advice and you cannot go wrong.
Rob

I am getting ready to setup my first cooler also. I got 4 of these plastic baskets from Wal-Mart for 98cents each and I’m going to try them out.
I put them in the dishwasher and put them in the sun for 2 days and they still smell a little like plastic so I’m not sure if they will work yet. I have a while until I have to worry about space and I have a bunch of single lose cigars so I thought the basket idea might work. But you never know until you try it. I let you know in a few weeks.
shelf01xc2.jpg

I use the small coated racks that are in the freezer. they fit nicely and do not take up any room and you can pull them out easily.

I use a combo of trays and boxes, no shelves. If you wanted to do shelves without having to adhere or drill though, just get some cedar blocks (can't remember where I got mine, think the humi place based out of ohio) and some stainless steel cooling racks (from bed bath and beyond, you know for baking) that will fit in the cooler.

I purchased my first cooler today (igloo 48qt.) and am trying to figure out how to mount or create shelving within the cooler. My particular cooler does not have any slots to slide shelving in, so I am wondering how I should go about mounting shelves. Can I just use 4 level screws (serving as pegs) and then just lay a sheet of spanish cedar on top? Will the screws create a leak in my cooler even if i don't put the screw all the way through the outside of the cooler? My other thought was to purchase little angle brackets specifically for shelving and somehow adheering them to the wall of my cooler. Are there any types of adhesives that would be safe to use within my cooler? Any help would be appreciated as I have searched several times and cant seem to find the best way to create shelving in my cooler.

Go with the boxes instead of the shelves, but should you decide to add shelves anyways, you could use a screw and then hot glue around the screw to make certain that you don't cause any leaks.

Make a box, made out of spanish cedar, that will snugly fit in your Cooler-dor. Then attach your trays to the box. That way you won't put any screws in the Cooler-dor.