• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Silca Kitty Litter Question

Who replaced badhangover with this erudite fellow ???

Just to keep this gem going, I was reading a bunch of silica litter bags/boxes and many claim that one of the benefits it the absorption or odor. Could that be detrimental to cigar storage? Could the silica be absorbing aromas that you want to keep around your cigars?

I need to lower the ambient rH in my wine cooler, since I keep regular wood humidors inside. So I went ahead with some Pet Gold silica litter, unscented non-toxic crystals.

Wilkey, you still rollin with crystals with the blue mixed in?

Just to keep this gem going, I was reading a bunch of silica litter bags/boxes and many claim that one of the benefits it the absorption or odor. Could that be detrimental to cigar storage? Could the silica be absorbing aromas that you want to keep around your cigars?

I need to lower the ambient rH in my wine cooler, since I keep regular wood humidors inside. So I went ahead with some Pet Gold silica litter, unscented non-toxic crystals.

Wilkey, you still rollin with crystals with the blue mixed in?
Absolutely I am. I keep small containers in most of my coolers.

From a chemistry perspective, anything that is mobile and volatile (e.g., the aroma compounds you detect when you smell a cigar) will be absorbed to a greater or lesser degree in the things in its environment. This is true for beads, gels, PG/water, cedar boxes, other cigars, etc. I had one tub of PG/water that had been in a cooler for so long that it was quite fragrant when removed from the storage container. My dishes of crystals all smell to a lesser degree I think simply because they've been in there a shorter period of time.

I'm afraid this "scavenging" of aromatics is unavoidable. If the question is whether this would be expected to rob ones cigars of flavor over the years, I suppose so in some sense. But I'm guessing it would take so long, and so much silica/gel/PG as to be unrealistic. In other words, the effect probably would not be significant.

Also, keep in mind that for its intended use, the silica is in intimate contact with the cat pee. It physically absorbs it. It is in contact with the poo as well. So for maximum absorption, contact is necessary. This is not the case when it is used as a moisture reservoir in a cooler or humidor.

Does that help?

Wilkey

Yea, I buy that ;). And nothing beats the fact that many of you have used this stuff with success for years. I was just curious. I wonder what Boveda claims in terms of aroma absorption.

Well, boveda packs are basically salt solutions so they would pick up odors over time as well. How much they do so as compared to silica, I don't really know.

Wilkey

From a chemistry perspective, anything that is mobile and volatile (e.g., the aroma compounds you detect when you smell a cigar) will be absorbed to a greater or lesser degree in the things in its environment.

[snippity]

It is in contact with the poo as well.

Wilkey

Wilkey said poo :D.

So your running with the blue crystal's mixed in? I read the discussion of this, pro's vs con's and just decided to go ahead and purchase beads (basically the same thing). I guess next time a will do a little more reading.

I don't know for sure that the blue crystals are always ones that contain hex chrome or any other functional additive. I'm guessing, without really investigating it, that in some cases, the blue is simply cosmetic. Blue = impression of clean (i.e., toilet bowl cleaner).

Wilkey

The Pet Gold crystals I got have a few blue ones, but it also says 100% natural and safe for your kitties and environment.

Need some help from others that has bought these. I went to local pet stores, Walmart, and other local stores,but have yet to find the 100% silco beads type kitty litter. I tried all the links in this post, but them seem to be to old, and online shopping doesn't seem tomention if the beads or crystals are 100% silca.

Does anyone have an online provider?

Thanks Rich

If the beads look like big grains of hazy salt, then they are 100% silica. Clay type litter will look like gravel.

Wilkey

At the risk of sounding dumb...what is the point..?? What does "kitty litter" do that Viper's great 65% beads won't....??

Whack me with the "clue by four".....B.B.S.

MONEY

Hmmm.... Seven hours of separating little grains of kitty litter worth the 30 bucks? I don't have beads, but it is my understanding that they don't wear out. Really what I'm thinking is that if you happen to get the "wrong" stuff you stand to mess a whole bunch of smokes that in all likelihood cost you more than the savings.

Just my opinion, though, and you must be aware that i don't know anything.

Marcos

"Does anyone have an online provider?"

Cyrstal Clear Litter Pearls are what you are looking for, they are made by Ultra Pet.
100% Silica, no colored crystals.

Link

the link provides a retail location finder and online sources.

Hmmm.... Seven hours of separating little grains of kitty litter worth the 30 bucks? I don't have beads, but it is my understanding that they don't wear out. Really what I'm thinking is that if you happen to get the "wrong" stuff you stand to mess a whole bunch of smokes that in all likelihood cost you more than the savings.

Marcos

For crying out loud, 100% Silica Gel beads is 100% Silica Gel beads. Why anyone without any experience with them would have a need to inject their opinion is beyond me. Informing people that if they get the wrong stuff could mess up their smokes is as obvious as putting water in your cars gas tank will mess up your car....duhhhhh! This debate has been over for a long time.

Yall want to do a group buy? I found a place that you can buy 55lbs in bulk for about $1.60 a LB. Bulk Silica Gel (Doesn't anyone else know about google?) I'd ask for a sample first. You don't want the diameter of the beads to be too large or too small.

Marcos

For crying out loud, 100% Silica Gel beads is 100% Silica Gel beads. Why anyone without any experience with them would have a need to inject their opinion is beyond me. Informing people that if they get the wrong stuff could mess up their smokes is as obvious as putting water in your cars gas tank will mess up your car....duhhhhh! This debate has been over for a long time.

Yall want to do a group buy? I found a place that you can buy 55lbs in bulk for about $1.60 a LB. Bulk Silica Gel (Doesn't anyone else know about google?) I'd ask for a sample first. You don't want the diameter of the beads to be too large or too small.
I've been using a generic kitty litter (100% silica) for over two years now. It's not round at all, it's just crystals. No indicator crystals or anything. It has worked great! I'm not sure the size of the silica makes much difference other than in the selection of containers. Am I wrong in that thinking? You have a lot more experience than I in this matter, so that's why I ask. :)

I found it at PetCo, by the way. I don't know if they still carry it or not. It's the only silica I could find at the time.

Been using KLH for a long time, still going strong.

I have 3-4 pounds of litter pearls (No Blue!) I don't need if someone wants them. You pay shipping.......May not be worth it.....

Edited to add....looks like someone took me up on this It is done.....

I'm not sure the size of the silica makes much difference other than in the selection of containers.

Size does matter...as well as the size of the 'container'! :laugh:

I read why you want the smaller ones over the larger....but I'll have to find the article.

The smaller the beads the greater the surface area. If you use larger beads, you may want to have a flatter container, where the beads are spread out better, if I remember right.

Thanks ddepaola!! :D

Rich

I bought two 5 pound bags of kitty silca from Amazon a few years ago, I just looked and they unfortunately don't sell it any more.. It was a great deal, ten pound of the stuff shipped for around $25.00.. I wish I had picked up more, I'll have to make a stop at the pet store to see if I can get it local now..

Petco and PetsRus still sell them, at least they did in July when I went looking for more.