• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Since there is another gun thread...

Dr. Marneaus

I drive a station wagon
I'm not unfamiliar with guns, and I've done a fair amount of research and talked to a bunch of knowledgeable people on the topic, but more opinions are always welcome.

Looking to buy my first rifle to hanve out here in Vegas. The main purpose will simply be to fill the role of my first rifle...mostly used for pliking, target/fun/recreational shooting. I don't currently hunt, nor do I feel the need to use it for defense (I'll get a pistol eventually). I don't really want a shotgun at the moment, however I will eventually get one, and I don't think I'm ready for a pistol yet. As said, I've had exposure to guns, but havent been shooting in 2 years.

I want something small, reliable, easy to use, easy to maintain, and not too expensive. 600 is getting up there, 650 is absolute max, but I dont want to spend that much if I dont have to. I don't want a .22, because I would like it to be slightly more useful than that in the long run.

So, anyways, I've been looking at ruger Mini 14's and Mini 30's. These things have alot of lovers and alot of haters it seems. Everyone says "get an AR, get an AK! get an SKS! get a M1A! Get an M1!!!" Which isnt really what I want to hear. I'm looking for opinions on the mini 14's, which seem to fit my needs best. AR's arte way too high maintenance and finiky, an M1A is way too pricey, and I'd prefer an american made gun.

I know what not to expect from them, I know they arent the mot accurate, they heat up, and have problems if you dont use good magazines. I'm not expecting an AR quality and accuracy etc. In all the reviews I've read they've said these are great little reliable ranch rifles.

Sorry this was so long, but I tried to give as much background info as possible, as to avoid any confusion as to what it will be used for, what I'm looking for etc.

So, opinions on the Mini 14's? Experiences with them? Recomend comparable alternatives? Reasons to buy or not to buy one? Would probably get a used one.

Thanks a bunch!

So, opinions on the Mini 14's? Experiences with them? Recomend comparable alternatives? Reasons to buy or not to buy one? Would probably get a used one.

For what you want it, it would be ok.

Personally, I sold mine because my Bushmaster XM is more accurate, has solider sights, and has tons of reliable 20 or 30 round magazines available for it.

Ruger won't sell larger capacity magazines, and most of the aftermarket ones I tried were crap.

.223/5.56 ammuntion is pretty spendy right now.

Never fired one, but I've heard good things about the Beretta Storm. Won't reach out as far as a .223, but there's plenty of 9mm ammunition out there.

I've heard a few people mention them also, but they seem a bit spendy for me.

Any other carbine reccomendations?

Mini 14s are awesome guns. I was going to buy one but an AR fell into my lap at a great deal. Mini 14s have so many add on features that you can make it do or look like what ever you want.

I am partial to AR's and I had an AK. The AK was not a favorite of mine so I dont advise them but if you get a good one you can throw the damn thing in a mud hole and it will still work.

If you like the 14 get it. You wont be sorry.

I would stick with the 14 over the 30 becuase I found .223 a better round compared to a 7.62.

But this is all my opinion.

I've got a Mini 14 and I love it. I have several magazines of 40 and 20 rounds and I've never had any problems with any of them. I would definitley recomend it.

I know you said no .22, but for a first rifle you can't beat it. A 10/22 Ruger is great, .223 is pretty expensive still with our boys being away from home. .22 prices can keep you shooting all day and the Rugers are highly customizable. The 10/22 is inexpensive as well and a good solid rifle. Also for hunting, it is rare to see a .223 used for anything larger than a coyote or hog. Not that you can't, but you will have to get surgical.

The mini 14 is a great rifle, but for a first rifle you may get a lot more enjoyment out of a 10/22. Consider this as well, cheap .223 costs $120 for 500, decent .223 costs around $200 for 500. A brick of 500 quality .22 ammo is less than $40. I can chew through 500 rounds in a weekend pretty easily. It is always easy to get a different gun later on if you like to shoot.

I've heard a few people mention them also, but they seem a bit spendy for me.

Any other carbine reccomendations?
There's no center fire firearm that's cheap to shoot, anymore. Get a Ruger 10/22, trick it out with a thumb hole stock, trigger job and large phallic symbol scope on it, like a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20 and you'll be able to shoot to your heart's content for a reasonable amount of money.

Doc.

So, anyways, I've been looking at ruger Mini 14's and Mini 30's. These things have alot of lovers and alot of haters it seems. Everyone says "get an AR, get an AK! get an SKS! get a M1A! Get an M1!!!" Which isnt really what I want to hear. I'm looking for opinions on the mini 14's, which seem to fit my needs best. AR's arte way too high maintenance and finiky, an M1A is way too pricey, and I'd prefer an american made gun.

I have two Bushmaster AR's in the safe and they are neither "high maintenance" or finicky. If you consider the occasional cleaning "high maintenance" no weapon will work well, for very long.

The point about Mini-14's / 30's and high cap magazines is well taken. There are good aftermarket magazines out there, but there is a lot of crap. You may end up throwing away a bunch of magazines to find ones that are reliable. While the Mini-14 is a fine weapon, at the end of the day there are LOTS more guys shooting AR's which means maintaining one will be cheaper and easier, long term. Magazines are available from a number of sources, as there is a bit of military surplus to be had.

At the end of the day, a used AR-15 can be had for only a little more than your target price. With an AR, you'll have a huge group of folks that use them to gain experience and knowledge from. Check out AR15.com It's a quality weapon that will last a very long time, and serve you well.

Good luck - B.B.S.

I'll investigate into AR's a little bit more, see what info i can find.

Thanks for the opinions folks.

There's no center fire firearm that's cheap to shoot, anymore. Get a Ruger 10/22, trick it out with a thumb hole stock, trigger job and large phallic symbol scope on it, like a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20 and you'll be able to shoot to your heart's content for a reasonable amount of money.

Doc.

Also don't rule out the Hornady .17 rimfire. I bit more pricey than feeding the .22 but the improved ballistics is generating a strong following in the shooting community. Savage and Ruger both make very nice rifles for this cal.

I second getting an AR..

Support is astounding for them. You can spend as much or as little as you want and start off with a stock AR and upgrade it over time how you want it.

anyone wanna make some suggestions on good brands of cheaper AR's or point me in the right direction? I know nothing about them

Don't know why I didn't think of it before, but if you don't mind a ten round fixed magazine, or doing a little work to make it accept AK mags, SKSs can still be had quite cheap.

I prefer my AR, but the SKS is a good deal, and I think 7.62x39 can still be had relatively cheap.

Edited to add:

I don't have much experience with ARs other than with my Bushmaster, which cost a couple/few hundred more than you're looking to spend. There's tons of experience and knowledge over at arfcom (ar15.com) that you might find useful.

not a fan of any ar get a .22 or varient 22.hornet mag or such. if you just want to plink it doesnt make sense to buy ar large caliber unless you reload. If you want a larger caliber look at .308 or 30/06 you can do anything with either one of those and think bolt action for acuracy also bolt actiona are a lot more reliable.

Don't want a bolt action, I don't have the want nor the need to reach out and touch something at 1200 yards.

Don't want a .22

I don't think anyone has invented the gun your looking for.

Doc.

I don't have the want nor the need to reach out and touch something at 1200 yards.

Then don't buy a AR-15 then.

Errr no AR-15 I've ever seen could touch anything at 1200 yards (on purpose anyway) I shot Expert the entire time I was in the military and the furthest distance I was constant at was around 400 yards give or take with an M16A1.

Now if you were thinking about the AR-10 I'd agree, but only with a heavy chrome match-barrel and a lot of luck.

The only consistent 1000 yard shooters are .300WinMag and above.

And I really think the SKS might be the gun your looking for Dr. Marneaus

Semi Auto, reasonable accuracy and cheap ammo if you buy in bulk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKS

Or a M1 Carbine, one of the most fun rifles to shoot out there!

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu67.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_carbine