• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Slipping down the slippery slope of Handguns..

I've been trying to keep myself from getting a 1911 and/or a AR15. I dont "need" either one but you know that slope...that slope....

Honestly a great time to get an AR right now. The "ban" hysteria has subside and major manufacturers have some awesome rifles for prices that seemed impossible 2 years ago. Many smaller companies are producing high quality rifles at rock bottom prices. Depending on what you want out of it, a rifle could easily be built in the sub $700 range or less.

I have been looking at adding an AR to the collection as well.. Any advice would be appreciated. The RIAs seem nice. Anything else I should look at? I feel pretty confident about my pistol knowledge but dont know even where to start with ARs..

It all depends on what you're looking for to be honest. But like other members have said, you can find some pretty sweet deals out there.

i "build" these rifles for a second job, so i have seen/worked on all shapes and sizes of ARs. if you want to just buy one, BravoCompanyUSA makes a great rifle right off the shelf. Not too many bells and whistles on their stock option, but not everyone is looking for something flashy.

If you want to do things a specific way, building from scratch is the best option. The lower is relatively easy to put together (besides that bastid bolt catch roll pin) and only requires one tool to finish (stock wrench), the upper requires a bit more skill or practice, since then you have to worry about proper torque and alignment.

Brands i have had good luck with
KAC (great rails and BUIS)
MAgpul (mags, slings, STOCKS)
Noveske (great barrels, F/H and their lowers have a fantastic finish to them)
Vltor (rails, F/H, uppers)
BravoCo. (misc parts, overall cheap reliable parts)
Tango Down (love their rail covers and their battlegrip)
Spikes Tactical (lowers are cool and have great finish on them)

Companies that i have had bad experiences with or have to replace for customers often
Bushmaster
DPMS
DoubleStar
and i know i will be in the minority here, but RRA

Very nice! My first 1911 was a STI Spartan as I didn't want to spend a lot of money before knowing I liked the platform. Gotta say I fell in love instantly and am now falling down the same slope!

very nice. I plan to buy one this winter as well. Looking at H&K and a few others

You can't go wrong with H&K. I have shot almost everything but when I shot my first H&K the accuracy was unmatched. I bought one the very next day. Currently I own the H&K tactical and it is a great weapon. The ambidextrous magazine release is really a huge benefit. Let me know if you have any questions.

The trick is really finding onethat works on mac

Seeing all of the weapons you guys have, I was wondering what you do for storage.
I currently have a cheapo cabinet not good for anything except keeping the boy out .
Was looking to up grade, looking at this one http://www.ebay.com/...353235388802059

We will see where the price ends up

Don

I don't have a big collection, so like you donzz all I have is a small safe that holds a few handguns and extra clips, and it's only purpose is to keep them out of reach of the kids. Maybe some day, I'll need a bigger cabinet to match my growing cigar cabinets.

Yes I do. I would like to be into for less than 700$
I cant find any info on this exact model

700 Plus all the beer Im going to have to buy to get all my buddies to help me move it lol

Don

Seeing all of the weapons you guys have, I was wondering what you do for storage.
I currently have a cheapo cabinet not good for anything except keeping the boy out .
Was looking to up grade, looking at this one http://www.ebay.com/...353235388802059

We will see where the price ends up

Don

Donzz,

I am more of a fan of the Cannon safes and that is what I am looking at getting. I really just want something to put my handguns in so I think I will go for the Home Guard H4.
Here is a link to a site that seems to have a bunch for sale. http://gunhomesafe.com/cannon-safes

To be honest I never really understood the "I need the most secure safe in the world mentality". If someone really wants in your safe they will get it, either by opening it on-site or taking it with them. Fortunately, unless you are specifically targeted the average robbery has neither the tools or help to do either. A typical Stack-On cabinet bolted/screwed in or tapconed in will be more than enough to thwart pretty much anyone and would be a fine choice if you were not concerned about their lack of shelving and space.

Fire rating sort of depends on where you live. Out in the styxs with a slow responding volunteer fire department? Then then a fire rated safe might be a good idea. Short of that in most burbs the response time should be such that a 2 hour fire rating may be over kill.

Have you looked at any of the stack on cabinets?
My old craftsman tool chest is heavier gauge metal than they are

Have you looked at any of the stack on cabinets?
My old craftsman tool chest is heavier gauge metal than they are

Do they lock? When properly secured are the enough to keep a causal burglar from walking off with your guns?

Where is your Craftsman chest at? Garage on wheels? How many $X,XXX of tools are in it? How hard would it be for some to wheel it up some ramps on to a back of a pick-up?

My point is that for a casual collect a properly secured Stack-On provides adequate security. For ~$90, you can get something, that with some minor alterations can hold and moderately secure half dozen hand guns and a couple of shorter rifles. Honestly, if you are that worried about security I would put the roughly 8x savings of the Stack-On towards improved security around the rest of your home.

I had a small Stack On safe that I built into the wall between studs at our last house and was very happy with it. It held 4-5 handguns total, not super big, but it did a great job. It's purpose for me was to keep the guns away from little hands and the amateur thief. I placed it within a closet where it couldn't be seen unless clothing was moved, and my kids never knew it existed. Like Breedy said, I wasn't using it to lock up thousands of dollars of vintage or special guns, just those that I liked to shoot for fun and for home defense/Concealed Carry.

I've never shot any 1911 but my Kimber. Looking forward to seeing how you like the Colt.

Congrats on your purchase!

To be honest I never really understood the "I need the most secure safe in the world mentality". If someone really wants in your safe they will get it, either by opening it on-site or taking it with them.

My safe weighs 1000 pounds and has eight large hardened bolts. My bet is they won't do either....while the alarm is going off.... :cool: