• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Small Cigars?

jje5090

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what a good little (ring gauge) cigar might be. I'm looking for something that I don't have to dedicate an hour too but still enjoy smoking. Now that fall is approaching which means winter is around the corner and the fact that I live in the mountains means sitting outside to smoke can be unenjoyable in itself. Therefore I'm looking for something that I can smoke pretty quickly but still have good flavor and such.

Siglo I or II

Punch Punch

Tim

The age old question comes back again as the air starts smelling like football and burning fireplaces!

As always, personal preference will be the biggest factor as there is a ton of small figurados, coronas, and petite coronas out there waiting to be smoked. As with all cigars, these come in various flavors and strengths...so keep in mind your personal taste in ANY size cigar and try these sizes according to your flavor guidelines.This is the fun part, going to a B&M and buying them in 2s so you can sample the different offerings...and it takes a minimum of two cigars (smoked at different times) to get an idea whether it suits you or not.

For me, the Fuente Hemingway Short Story has been my go-to cigar for years when I only have 15-20 minutes to smoke. All the Fuente figurados are handy just for that purpose...the SS, the Best Seller, and the Work of Art are tough to beat. As Gavin mentioned above, the PLPC (Por Larranaga Petit Corona) is a nice choice, although hard to come by in the US. Along those same lines, I also like the Bolivar Coronas Junior when pressed for time. My new favorite at the moment is the Tatuaje Petite Cazadores Reserva (thank you B.B.S.), if you like a bolder tasting cigar...this is it, look no further. If you like a creamy, sweeter tasting cigar, my favorite morning stick is the Padron Anniversary Series 1964 Principe in a natural wrapper...you can eat the things they're so good!

Now that you have this question burning inside you, take this opportunity to start your journey to find your favorite 'short time smoke'...it's what it's all about. And when you do find some you like, come back and post your thoughts on how you came to enjoy the one or two you finally picked.

:thumbs:

For me you can't lose with a Padron '64 Maduro Principe or Illusione 68.

edit: sp

The Padron londres is also good and very affordable. Tatuaje petite and petite cazador es reserva also hit the spot. Both are on the full side.

Smoke what you like and ask your B&M what they carry for "quick smokes" based on what you like.

To me a short smoke is something in the 3 to 4 -ish inch range, and probably 32 to 40-ish ring gauge. A amoke that you can actually FINISH in 15 to 30 minutes.
In addition, to pass muster as a decent winter smoke the cigar should have a pretty reslient wrapper, like a maduro, which will not be prone to cracking from the hot/cold shock. Another thing to do is if you are going to smoke thinner or more fragile wrappers, you can very slightly moisten the wrapper which helps the leaf with the holt/cold related issues.

Some of my favorite easily available short smokes are:
-Fuente Short Story
-Fonseca or Quesada (Manuel makes several 4" -ish by 40 RG smokes which are always consistent and represent good value. If you find one you like, you're set.
-Any of the 32 to 40 Ring Gauge cigars that were Blended by Frank Llaneza, such as Hoyo, Punch, El Rey del Mundo Cafe Au Lait, & Cafe Noir (32 ring).
I still think Llaneza's blends in 32 ring cigars are better than anybody's except those blended with cuban tobacco.
- As previously mentioned, Tatuaje Petite Cazadore and I'll add the Tatuaje Verocu #5.
-One I have never tried is the Padron Corticos which I may try with one of my near term orders.

I agree with all of the above, as each of these works nicely as quick smokes. I would also add the Padron Serie 1926 No. 35 or (if you can get them) the HdM Petit Robusto.

.....My new favorite at the moment is the Tatuaje Petite Cazadores Reserva (thank you B.B.S.), if you like a bolder tasting cigar...this is it, look no further. If you like a creamy, sweeter tasting cigar, my favorite morning stick is the Padron Anniversary Series 1964 Principe in a natural wrapper...you can eat the things they're so good!....
Add the Illusion 68 to the list and you've got my small cigar favorites covered. The La Riqueza #5 is another very good one, but honestly I think I like the little Tat better.

I had some very bad luck with the Padron Corticos.....got a couple of tins and put them down. Three months later, I opened one of the tins up and the sticks were so moldy they looked like little bule hairy smurfs.... :0 Of course that's not the Padron's fault, rather the vendor I got them from. Haven't revisited them....

It's too bad the Padron '64 in natural wrapper gets overlooked so often, because they are amazing smokes. Gary nailed it; the little Principe in natural wrapper with coffee in the AM is a real treat.

Gary is right - you've got some great recommendations.....pick up a couple of some that sound interesting and let us know what you think.... :thumbs:

Cheers - B.B.S.

...I had some very bad luck with the Padron Corticos.....got a couple of tins and put them down. Three months later, I opened one of the tins up and the sticks were so moldy they looked like little bule hairy smurfs.... :0 Of course that's not the Padron's fault, rather the vendor I got them from. Haven't revisited them....

The Corticos are a good suggestion. They are a little larger than many tins and the ones I've smoked have been very good. Sorry they didn't work out for you, Tom.

The Corticos is a great short smoke and you could always look at any of the smaller CAO'S, maybe Macanudo Ascot or Court, Oliva G special G, Por Larranaga Super Cedros (are Fantastic)and Zino Mouton Cadet #7, and you cant go wrong with any of the Oliva Nub range.

Thanks guys I will look into a few of these and see what my local shop has. I know I have to get what I like and I will let you guys know what I think. I figured this was a good place to see what people could lead me to though. Thanks again guys and if anyone else has something to add surely let me know.

Party Shorts, Boli PCs, Tat Petite Caz Reservas are this list for me!

There are so many but I've lately enjoyed:

Tatuaje El Triunfador #5
Tatuaje Verocu #5
RASCC
Padron Londres Maduro

Tatuaje has some very good small ring gauge cigars. They are all stronger in strength, but the prices are 'reasonable', the construction is usually good, and I personally think most of them taste very good. The only one I'm not a fan of is the regular Petite brown label. Downside is that they sometimes have to be tracked down. As in, they aren't always readily available.

Ok so I went to my local shop today to see what they had. A tin of onyx caught my eye. They were 18.25 for a tin of 10. I'm going to probably buy a tin later on. I've had an onyx before and loved it so I'm hoping these will be just as good. I'll let you know what I think after I buy a tin and try them.Oh and vortex what cigar shop do you go to being from Newark?