• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Small Firearms suggestions

Niko

The wifey and I are looking for a little home security and are thinking about a small handgun. What would you suggest that the wife and I could use that is fairly cheap?

Edited to add, I don't know jack about firearms so you know... thanks!

Ruger GP-100 .357 Magnum revolver, 4" barrel.

1. It's built like a tank, and can be found VERY affordably at gun shows.
2. It also fires .38 caliber rounds, which are a)lots cheaper, and b)all you really need for home defense, and c)easier to shoot, especially for your wife . . . but still gives you the .357 option.
3. It's a revolver. Point and click interface. First handguns should always be as simple as possible.

ruger_GP100_357.jpg

I have one with concealed carry mods (shaved hammer, groove sights) and love it.

~Boar

Smith and Wesson M&P .40 cal. It comes with 3 different size hand grips, find one thats comfortable for both you and your wife. I have one but its the M&P-C the C is for "compact". This may be another option if your wife has small hands. I use it in the military in my ankel holster. My side arm is a Ruger P-98 9mm matt black finish 15 round mag. That may be too big for a womans grip.

My .02 cents.

Also, before you buy, go a shooting range and rent their handguns. See what you both feel comfortable with. You'll need to rent the gun, ammo, eye / hearing protection and buy a couple target sheets. Should be about < $50 to go try it, maybe a little more for 2 people, depends onyour facility.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/sto...amp;isFirearm=Y

EDIT: Don't let the price on this website fool you, you can find them MUCH cheaper on ebay, or if you go to a dealer with ANY trades that helps. I picked up mine for $250 with a military discount and a couple old trades.

Great suggestions guys! Keep them coming.

The wifey and I are looking for a little home security and are thinking about a small handgun. What would you suggest that the wife and I could use that is fairly cheap?

Buy a shotgun.12 bore, Remington 870 pump. By the way, if you don't know anything about firearms, get some competent instruction before you do. Hand guns are not easy to shoot. It takes a lot of range time, ammo and money to be proficient. AND, don't be listening to any gun store warriors who have never fired a round with bad intentions.

Doc.

Guns are only as good as the person using them. Find an old shotgun, cut it down to a a 15" barrel, load it with #6 so it won't blow through your wall and lean it in the corner by the bed. If you can point you can use it enough to do what you intend. Single shot will work but a side by side would be better. I got an old one for $100 at a gun show.

I can't argue with either of the suggestions made thus far. Either way is a great way to go. Beyond these two, I think it's just a matter of preference. That said, my preference would be the Springfield Armory XD40 9mm.

Give a quick search on this Niko. I know there were a couple of threads either earlier thiis year or late last year that saw a bunch of people weigh in on this. Nullsmurf started one of them, thought that was more of a shotgun vs. pistol debate, IIRC.

I do have a 12 gauge Winchester Shot gun that I used to use to hunt deer years ago. It's like a cannon when it gets fired, so freakin loud! I don't think I want that in my house.

Buy a shotgun.12 bore, Remington 870 pump. By the way, if you don't know anything about firearms, get some competent instruction before you do. Hand guns are not easy to shoot. It takes a lot of range time, ammo and money to be proficient. AND, don't be listening to any gun store warriors who have never fired a round with bad intentions.

Doc.

Yes Doc, I do plan on getting us into a gun safety class and hitting the range before any purchase is made.

Nick -

Stick to a good hand gun. Get instruction (the PD offers it at a cost) and you'll be fine. Firearm dealers offer tacticle firearm training, that is not what you need. I believe the M&P offers a 9mm as well. Its a balanced, reliable & very accurate firearm used by the Military & Police - hence the M&P.

~ t

Edit; fat thumbs.

Well now that we know where your priorities are. Self protection or loud noise. Get a knife.

I do have a 12 gauge Winchester Shot gun that I used to use to hunt deer years ago. It's like a cannon when it gets fired, so freakin loud! I don't think I want that in my house.

Well now that we know where your priorities are. Self protection or loud noise. Get a knife.

S&W also offers tacticle S.W.A.T. knives as well...

Haha, i guess I didn't mean it like that. It's really heavy and would not be something my wife could use.

......By the way, if you don't know anything about firearms, get some competent instruction before you do. Hand guns are not easy to shoot. It takes a lot of range time, ammo and money to be proficient. AND, don't be listening to any gun store warriors who have never fired a round with bad intentions.

Doc.
Guns are only as good as the person using them.
.....easy to agree with both these gentlemen. If you "don't know jack" about firearms, your and your wife's first stop is the local gun range. Take some basic classes, shoot some different kinds of guns, and make an informed decision. Most good ranges have rental guns so you can try a few things before you buy. When you get around to buying, don't go cheap.....this is a tool that may be potentially called upon to safe your life or the life of a family member. This isn't the time to sav a few pennies. Ruger, S&W, Glock, Beretta, Sig-Sauer.....there are others but these are some of the best; some of the weapons that are commonly carried by law enforcement.

Real guns aren't like the movies; they are LOUD, they have recoil, and they take a reasonable amount of skill to operate properly in a high stress situation. If you're going to have a weapon to defend yourself with, make sure you are able to do so responsibly.

That, and store it well. Bottom of the sock drawer isn't responsible. Owning a gun is your right but it's also your responsibility to keep it out of the hands of folks that have no business with a gun. You can find good handgun vaults for under a hundred bucks. Lag bolt it down somewhere inconspicuous where you can get to it quickly and you're good to go.

Good luck - B.B.S.

I lived in, and managed apartments for a long time, and wall penetration is a real issue, I do think a small .410 shot gun is a good place to start, Mossberg may still make a "security" model.. b
But I use a small bore revolver, 22 Mag. to be exact.. a Taurus 941, It really can tear up something, small bullet hauling ass.. But if you miss and hit wall the most your neighbor will see is small fragments..
I have taken my wife out many times to practice with it , and every time people have to put down their 45's and all the glocks to come see what is making all that noise :laugh:
http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-...tegory=Revolver

As an avid gun owner, get a shotgun for home defense. If you want a pistol to shoot, or conceal carry then by all means get a pistol, but since your stating self defense for the home...shotgun. People always think pistols are easier to use than a shotgun when it comes to home defense and they can't be farther from the truth.

Think about what a shotgun puts out (a spread of shot) compared to a pistol (1 bullet). Shooting at a range is one thing, shooting at a person when your adrenaline is going a mile a minute is completely different. It's much harder and more dangerous to try and fire a pistol at someone in the house.

A .45 leaves the barrel at something like 850 fps, even a hydra shock round is around 500 and they can pass through quite a few objects if you miss. I used to load glazers which were used for air marshals to take on planes. A glazer round is a hollow, thin bullet with little shot (like a shotgun) in the tip of it plugged with a plastic cap. I did a little test one day and fired it at a wall in a house still being built (yes I had permission) and the glazers which are supposed to not be capable of wall penetration went right through the wall along with the hydra shocks.

The point is with all the adrenaline going through you your more likely to miss the target when they are in the house and send that bullet into another room where someone could be. You could even miss and that bullet could travel into the street and into another house and kill someone. A shotgun with #6 or #4 buckshot will not have that problem. Not only that you don't need to aim down any sights to bring the gun on target, just point the barrel toward them and pull the trigger.

I have 2 M14's, an AR15, 3 glocks (.45, .40 and compact .40 for CCW), an FN Five Seven, S&W .44, 10/22 rifle and the charger pistol, a Lee Enfield and a Mossberg 590. Out of all the weapons I own the shotgun sits next to the bed, the .45 is in the bugout bag and the rest are in the safe.

If your wife can't hold the shotgun you might look into a new one that is lighter. A remington 870 or Mossberg 500 can be found at Wally world for about $200. She doesn't need to shoulder it, hip holding it is fine when the intruder is in your house....she won't miss.

Also gun safety is very important as others have mentioned. Go to the range and practice, practice, practice! Make sure you store your gun out of reach of others and if you can't get a safe or small vault, use the gun lock the weapon comes with.

I see your in TX, if you want to get together sometime let me know. I would be more than happy to take you and your wife out to shoot some different weapons and to get a feel for them.

Can't argue with the suggestions thus far. The pump action sound (alone) of a shotgun is unmistakable and will send just about anyone off and running. And, definitely get fire arms training.

If you are hell bent on a handgun, revolvers are generally the way to go. Simple mechanics involved and you shouldn't require more shots than a revolver can deliver. If you absolutely must get a semi and want to ignore all the sage advice offered here, some fine pieces are the Sig Sauer P239 and/or a Walther PPK.

But, realistically and practically speaking, ignore the notion of getting a handgun. Get a shotgun. Point blank and period.

I see your in TX, if you want to get together sometime let me know. I would be more than happy to take you and your wife out to shoot some different weapons and to get a feel for them.

Very nice gesture. Yes, I am in Little Elm a bit of a drive from Arlington but it could work.

Everything above is great advice. Wanted to add my 2 cents. I have a Springfield XD .40 cal 4" barrel for my ccw. It's a little cumbersome but I have asked family and friends and they tell me they cannot tell I am carrying. I have fired well over 1300 rounds through it with no problems. Shotgun for home defense is the way to go in my opinion depending on if your wife can fire it without a problem.

Lots of time at the range and even a ccw class are a good idea. A good ccw class will give you a lot of information about legalities.

Gun safety is above all most important.

My Uncle has recently patented a very unique/useful in-wall gun safe. My dad has one and I will be getting one very soon it's very simple to use and runs off a battery back-up in case of power outage. http://www.lockandloadsafe.com/

Find an old shotgun, cut it down to a a 15" barrel

Please don't do this, as unless you're prepared to jump through a bunch of hoops to get permits and/or tax stamps, you'd be committing a federal felony. 18" is the minimum legal barrel length.

That said, there's some great advice here. Best is, get some time in shooting different things.

Personally, in your situation, I'd find a 20 ga Winchester Defender or Remington 870 with an 18" barrel.

If you're going the handgun route, that Ruger GP 100 is a good choice.

You might consider:

A Judge by Taurus

4510TKR-3SSMAG_r1.jpg

Tuarus Website said:
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
What a name! It's based on the fact that many judges are now carrying it into the courtroom with them - and for good reason. We know of no better self-defense firearm. Whether loading all 45s - all .410s or alternating them in the cylinder, the Judge is the ultimate shotgun/revolver duo. New for 2008, we're giving you the Judge in Ultra-Lite forged alloy. You'll also be amazed how light this gun is and how easy it is to tote around. Also new is the Judge 3" Magnum. Larger and more powerful, this Judge gives you the extra firepower you need when you have to lay down the law.

It comes in six varieties.

I have really been impressed with mine. I haven't had the chance to kill anyone yet, ??? however, its been great at the range.
:thumbs: