• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Small Firearms suggestions

Also, the classic "pumping the shotgun to scare them away" is extremely stupid. First, if you do that then you weren't ready to shoot in the first place. What if they pop around the corner and surprise YOU? You're standing there with an unloaded shotgun. Second, you're advertising where you are. You want surprise on YOUR side.

James, muffler man and gun dealer

I can not agree more with this. The last thing you want to do is announce your location to a person who intends you harm.

Besides:

Prepare.jpg

I laughed for a good 10 minutes at this picture... Thank you sir you made my day.

My wife and I both like SPRINGFIELD XD's. She has the 9mm sub-compact (about $500). HOWEVER, just because this is the right gun for her, does not mean it will be right for you. If a gun is uncomfortable in your hand, don't buy it. A perfect example of this is the Glock. We both hate it. It doesn't feel right to us. But half the guys you talk to love them.

Try some out before making a decision. This is just my general opinion, but if the firearm is too cheap (like a couple hundred bucks) and my life depends on it....it makes me nervous.

I feel the same way about my XD .40. Before purchasing I shot a Glock .40 .45 and XD .40 .45 The Xd .40 was my choice because I liked the way it felt in my hands better. It's large but still concealable.

Has anyone suggested yet that you just go out and get a bazooka?

I'm sorry, I just had to. :D

Regarding shotgun vs. pistol. When I was 9, my grandfather took me out to hunt grouse. By the end of the day, I could hit a bird. Through my teens, I went to pistol ranges fairly regularly (hey, it was fun) and also got some expert advice while volunteering at the world police and fire games' pistol range. I never attained any level of expertise during that period, and I doubt that you, as a casual non-regular user, would do any better. I could hit a target reliably. Whoop-de-doo.

My first preference is to think long and hard about your situation. Do you really need a weapon? Would you be able to use it if called upon? Finally, are you willing to take the personal risks associated with owning a firearm (it may be used against you by a burglar; it may be used inadvertently in a family dispute; or the absolute worst-case, suicide). Bear in mind that I really liked shooting, but given my current circumstances I would never bring one in to my home.

If you can answer all the above questions affirmatively, buy a simple, small-gauge shotgun. It's easier to learn, easier to shoot, easier to aim, easier to maintain, harder to steal (pistols often "take a walk", shotguns and rifles almost never), easier to store (you're absolutely, positively going to get a gun safe, right?). And a hell of a lot more intimidating. There you are.

If Kimbers are for sissies, well, fit me for a skirt and a cute pair of pumps. I love my Classic Stainless.

Back to the OP...my first inclination for home defense, as others have recommended, would be a shotgun. I have a Mossberg in the closet, outfitted with an adjustable tactical stock and pistol grip. Combined with the 20" barrel and modest weight, they make it easy to handle in the rooms and hallways of my home. But then, I also have at least one pistol available, too.

Whether you go with a handgun or a shotgun...neither choice is necessarily wrong IMO...you'll need to practice with both to be effective. Train how you'll fight because you'll fight how you've trained.

One thing to keep in mind about the shotgun choice, though: taking a single 12-gauge round of 00 buck shot at close range is akin to being shot with a .32 caliber pistol 15 or 16 times. And there are four or more where that one came from. Ouch. Mudderfuggin' ouch.

As I stated earlier, a firearm is like a cigar. Everyone has their personal preference. However, would you suggest an Opus X to a new smoker? I believe that is what is being done with the auto pistols and to some extent, the shotgun suggestions.

My personal preference is my 1911 but I have also been shooting since I was a kid. I have put thousands of rounds through the 1911 as have many of you. I can take it apart and put it back together in my sleep. A new shooter does not have that experience. Until he and his wife do acquire the experience, the simpler the better. KISS :)

A good double action revolver is the way to go IMHO. Point and shoot. No slides, no safeties, no jams. If it doesn’t go bang, pull the trigger again. If you need more than six rounds, the situation is probably much worse than any of the firearms mentioned can handle.

If they like the shooting sports after their initial purchase, they can always buy an autoloader or shotgun later. If it is only for home protection and not a regular shooter, it will serve their needs quite well.

If Kimbers are for sissies, well, fit me for a skirt and a cute pair of pumps. I love my Classic Stainless.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Cracked me up!! Kimber's are very very nice weapons, and I don't have anything opposed to them. We tend to get passionately charged about our weapons of choice, and I decided to toss some humor in there to calm some folks down! ;) :p

I'm just having a hard time seeing you in a skirt and some pumps... I'm gonna have to talk to Swissy about that. :0 :0

I as well as many others on here am the owner of a 1911, .45ACP. Though mine is made by Springfield, I still have never had any issues with it. It is extremely reliable, and I've probably put over 6 or 7 thousand rounds through it without a problem.

I also own a Benelli Super Nova shotgun, which has recoil reduction (something that may be nice if your wife was to shoot it).

Personally I sleep next to both loaded, with a snap cap as the first round in case there was that "accidental firing." For home defense...use a shotgun...if you were ever intending on carrying...then by all means go with a semi-auto pistol. But I believe home defense was the question here.

You guys crack me up. Why get a shot gun, 1911, block, etc when you can buy them all :thumbs:

My wife has a Tauras titanium hammerless .38 that I like very much. I have a preembargo SW99 that is nice too. Never have enough guns.