• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Small Firearms suggestions

I see your in TX, if you want to get together sometime let me know. I would be more than happy to take you and your wife out to shoot some different weapons and to get a feel for them.

Very nice gesture. Yes, I am in Little Elm a bit of a drive from Arlington but it could work.

Not a problem, if your interested PM me your contact info and we can work something out.

My .02.

Count me in on the shotgun for best home defense weapon if thats strictly what you are after. However I would never go with a single shot or even a side by side. A pump action shotgun would be my recomendation as they are easy to operate with a little practice and you can buy one pretty cheap. I remington 870 express is a very affordable shotgun that would work very well for your needs.

If you are bent on getting a handgun then I would say STAY AWAY from an auto unless you are prepared to spend lots of time on the range mastering how to safely operate one. Remember, in a high stress situation which you would obviously be in if the need to use your gun for home protection ever did arise the last thing you want is a firearm that you are unfamiliar with and is complicated to operate which auto's can sometimes be. With a revolver there are no safeties to disengage, slides to rack or actions that can become jamed due to poor maintenance or neglect. All you do is point and squeeze.

The perviously mentioned Ruger GP 100 is a good choice but it might be a bit big for your wife to handle if she has smaller hands. I myself have the Ruger SP 101. A smaller framed revolver but sturdy enough to handle the .357 and .38 +p loads and the Mrs. who has tiny hands can handle it with ease. I also have a crimson trace laser sight on mine which is very nice to have in low light situations. The SP 101 is also an easily concealable gun as well if you are looking to go that route.

I keep my Ruger on my bedstand. As for when I do carry concealed I go with a 1911 style .45 acp. I would never recomend carrying this type of gun if you are a novice but if you put in the time and effort to learn this type of pistol IMO there are is no better.

If you have any need for top of the line gun leather as well, pm me and I'd be glad to point you in the right direction.

I don't know if it's been said already, but a great reliable gun is the S&W Cenntenial hammerless 38 revolver. Can shoot right through your bathrobe. Very lightweight gun for the wifey.

My .02.

Count me in on the shotgun for best home defense weapon if thats strictly what you are after. However I would never go with a single shot or even a side by side. A pump action shotgun would be my recomendation as they are easy to operate with a little practice and you can buy one pretty cheap. I remington 870 express is a very affordable shotgun that would work very well for your needs.

Damn this is EXACTLY what I was going to recommend. Remington 870 is the way to go. some 00 buck. and away you go. If it's home defense you're looking for, racking the shotgun alone would send a signal as it's a VERY identifiable sound. Of course you don't want to rely on sounds, but aiming at a range is 1 thing with a single bullet. Aiming in a HIGH Stress and potentially Life threatining situation is completely different.

Don't forget also, it's not what you're shooting at, but potentially what's on the other side of the wall. Buckshot will stop a lot easier than a bullet in most situations. If you live in an apartment/condo/townhouse, this is something to think about.

Let me start off by saying that I have found my self in situations where I have had to point a firearm at another human and pull the trigger. It is not any easy thing to do by any stretch of the imagination.

When talking about home security you are looking for one of two things: (1) scare off an intruder or (2) subdue an intruder. If you are of the mindset that you would rather just scare off an intruder, invest in a home security system. The shrill siren of a home security system is enough to scare away any intruder. Besides, it will protect your home when you are not there, which is something a gun cannot do.

If you choose to go the route of a firearm, I would not recommend a shotgun. Shotguns are too cumbersome for a novice to use effectively as a self-defense weapon. The best firearm for home security is a lightweight handgun that is simple to use. I would recommend getting a Glock 9mm. These weapons are lightweight and simple to use. You don’t have to worry about manual safeties or any other external control that would slow you down in a high-stress self-defense engagement. Glocks are more expensive, but god forbidden you ever need it use, you will find the simplicity of operation more than makes up for the expense.

Regardless of which weapon you purchase, you have to understand the responsibility of gun ownership. You don’t just load a gun and throw it in a drawer for the day when you will need it. Firearms require consistent maintenance regardless of wither they have been used or not. I would also strongly encourage that you and anyone else in your household who would have access to the firearm become intimately familiar with its operation. I would recommend going to the shooting range for practice no less than once a month.

If you choose to go the route of a firearm, I would not recommend a shotgun. Shotguns are too cumbersome for a novice to use effectively as a self-defense weapon.

I disagree with this as with any firearm practice is needed, especially in your AO. Practicing a few times a month clearing the house with a shotgun (unloaded or use the snap caps like I do) will get you over that feeling of it being cumbersome. As for the 9mm, if its just a robber, sure it will stop him after a couple rounds. If he is hopped up on something though good luck as center mass usually won't cut it. Also a 9mm round as well as a .40 travel faster than the .45 I used in my example earlier. Which means it has an even higher chance of passing right through the person and through a wall...provided you serviced the target and didn't miss which is easy when your shooting in the dark.

A shotgun is pointed in their direction, chambered and pull, 1 shot and they are going down.

Just to add a couple of thoughts...

-Get a dog. It will decrease the chances that you'll ever need to use whichever firearm you buy.

-I think a Glock is a terrible idea for someone who isn't very accustomed to handling guns.

For something that you and your wife could both use I would suggest a good old .38. In order to get something that you would be easy to control I would go with one of two guns. Depends on if you Are wanting something small or full size. Either go with a Taurus .38 snubby. Should run you arround $250. Or a Smith & Wesson 686 4" which will give you more control, and should only run you around $300. Both are great guns, and would fit the purpose well. But like has already been said, for a handgun quite a large amount of range time is going to be needed. You can buy the best handgun in the world, but if you don't put in the range time its going to be useless. Of course in a home protection situation useless is not something you want to run into.
B

I keep my Ruger on my bedstand. As for WHEN I do carry concealed I go with a 1911 style .45 acp. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND YOU CARRYING THIS TYPE OF GUN IF YOU ARE A NOVICE, but if you put in the time and effort to learn this type of pistol IMO there are is no better.

If you have any need for top of the line gun leather as well, pm me and I'd be glad to point you in the right direction.

A 1911 is not a handgun that requires any more practice than another handgun. If you are going to carry any handgun you don't need to be a novice. If you are going to carry you need to be well skilled with your firearm. And a little saying I go by also is "Carry all the time, or don't carry at all". You never know when that situation that you need that firearm in is going to come up.
B

Home defense weapons are much like cigars. One mans favorite is another’s dog rocket. Many opinions have been expressed here. Each is valid for the person expressing it. It is their weapon of choice.

For someone with limited experience with firearms, a double action revolver is one of the best choices. They are available in many sizes, calibers, and price ranges. My suggestion would be something in .38/.357. High quality, reasonably prices revolvers are made by Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Taurus, and many others.

As has been suggested by others, go to a gun shop or range and handle as many different guns as you can. See which ones feel good in your hand and your wife’s hand. Narrow your choices down to a few that you like. Then go to a range and shoot each one. Then decide which you want to buy.

Once you do buy one, go to the range and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PARCTICE. Take a beginner instruction course. Become as familiar with the weapon as you can. Both you and your wife. Then you will have the knowledge and confidence to defend your home and family should you be put in that situation.

Just my 2 cents.

If you choose to go the route of a firearm, I would not recommend a shotgun. Shotguns are too cumbersome for a novice to use effectively as a self-defense weapon. The best firearm for home security is a lightweight handgun that is simple to use. I would recommend getting a Glock 9mm. These weapons are lightweight and simple to use. You don’t have to worry about manual safeties or any other external control that would slow you down in a high-stress self-defense engagement. Glocks are more expensive, but god forbidden you ever need it use, you will find the simplicity of operation more than makes up for the expense.

I heavily disagree...How is racking a shotgun aiming and shooting any more or less cumbersome than a pistol?

Handguns themselves can be cumbersome as well especially SAPs. The Glock itself not having a safety can be an issue in itself depending on which side of the fence you sit on. Yeah you can keep several magazines loaded but unless you're rehearsed with racking the slide, loading the magazine etc, ESPECIALLY under pressure, then you're going to have the same problems. If you're going to get a Glock 17 well, I hope she has big hands for it. A glock 19 might be a bit better for the comfortability factor on a female, though I'd worry about the stopping power of a 9mm round unless it's a lucky shot, emptying a mag or precisely aimed.

As I'd ALSO mentioned before, you have to think of what's past the target. Putting a round through the wall after a missed shot could yield in an unwarranted injury or death.

A shotgun, like ANY gun needs maintenance, and experience in use. Plus you have the added bonus of the scatter, should your lack of talent, pressure, nerves or anything prohibit you from taking a well aimed shot, ESPECIALLY when it's a life and death matter.

If you're worried about 19 rounds Vs the default 7 or so of the Remington 870...You can always opt for a magazine expansion on the remington. Same goes with Benellis and several other makes.

Home defense weapons are much like cigars. One mans favorite is another’s dog rocket. Many opinions have been expressed here. Each is valid for the person expressing it. It is their weapon of choice.

For someone with limited experience with firearms, a double action revolver is one of the best choices. They are available in many sizes, calibers, and price ranges. My suggestion would be something in .38/.357. High quality, reasonably prices revolvers are made by Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Taurus, and many others.

As has been suggested by others, go to a gun shop or range and handle as many different guns as you can. See which ones feel good in your hand and your wife’s hand. Narrow your choices down to a few that you like. Then go to a range and shoot each one. Then decide which you want to buy.

Once you do buy one, go to the range and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PARCTICE. Take a beginner instruction course. Become as familiar with the weapon as you can. Both you and your wife. Then you will have the knowledge and confidence to defend your home and family should you be put in that situation.

Just my 2 cents.

Well said. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

It might have already been said, but I can't keep up :).

A .357 can also shoot .38 rounds as well. Beneficial if you're trying to tame the recoil (in most cases).

A 1911 is not a handgun that requires any more practice than another handgun. B

I disagree.

I own a 1911 and have owned or still own a glock, beretta, and ruger auto. The 1911 with it's beavertail grip safety, being a SA and having it 'cocked and locked', it's tendency to be finicky with certain ammo and it's maintenance requirements is A LOT different from your basic glock or ruger. If we are talking about becoming profficient enough to trust ones life on a firearm then IMO a 1911 requires MORE practice and hands on experience than other handguns.

edited for spelling.

I agree on the 1911, I find I need to change the pressure of my grip to get that beavertail safety to engage. For pistols I have never been a fan of revolvers but they are the easiest. Second to them I feel are the glocks. They are very easy to use (pull the trigger to shoot, no other safety needed) and they break down for very easy cleaning and upkeep. A 1911 breaks down into 9 or so parts where the glock only breaks down into 4. On the flip side, the revolvers don't break down at all :p

My only issues with revolvers and its more on prominent the larger the caliber is timing issues. I would hate to have my hand blown off due to the timing on the revolver not being on, don't have that issue with an SA.

1911's aren't worth a shit out of the box. They're kits and need to be worked over by a competent pistolsmith. Mine, which was a bare bones Colt, has had just about every improvement imaginable and it will devour any ammo with ease. I've never had a smoke stack jam and believe me, I've tried.

Doc.

The whole object of being able to use a handgun is so that you can point and shoot. I had an old SgtMaj who gave me the absolute best advice on how to practice that when not on the range. I'll share it with you.

Take a flashlight and go into a totally dark room that you are familiar with.
Point the flashlight at a corner of the room and hit the flash button. See how far off you are.
Continue to do this with other corners or objects in the room.
Change your practice room and continue.
When you can hit with the beam what you are pointing at consistently you may just become a good shot.

Does it work? I made it to the Camp Pendleton finals for selection to the Rifle and Pistol team so it worked for me.

1911's aren't worth a shit out of the box. They're kits and need to be worked over by a competent pistolsmith. Mine, which was a bare bones Colt, has had just about every improvement imaginable and it will devour any ammo with ease. I've never had a smoke stack jam and believe me, I've tried.

Doc.

Well I wouldn't quite go that far. I have a 4" Kimber and while it did indeed have a 'break in' period it had no need for a pistolsmith. Just some range time and now it runs as smooth as silk and is my daily carry gun. Out of the box it came with night nights, beavertail grip safety, ambi thumb safety, checkered front strap, rosewood grips.

I'm not sure what permit or tax you are talking about. The only people that know I bought a shotgun are me and the guy I bought it from. There wasn't any government paperwork involved. While I don't know the letter of the law I'm fairly certain you can mod a firearm as you wish on your property you might not be able to sell it though.

Find an old shotgun, cut it down to a a 15" barrel

Please don't do this, as unless you're prepared to jump through a bunch of hoops to get permits and/or tax stamps, you'd be committing a federal felony. 18" is the minimum legal barrel length.