• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Small Humidor Question

Setren

So I'm thinking about getting my first humidor sometime soon. I've been debating whether or not to get just a small, 20ct humidor or try to spring for something larger. I know from reading a few topics on this board, a few people say, "always get a humidor larger than you think you need."
I think I'll only need to keep say 10-15 cigars at a time, so do you guys think a small, cheap 20ct humidor would work or should I look for something larger? Also (and I know this has been covered a few times, but I'd like to ask once more), what are your preferred humidor sites that would have good, small humidors. Or, should I just go to a B&M to get a small one?

Btw, my budget isn't the largest right now, so there's the added bonus of the cheaper cost for the 20ct humidor.

Thanks for the help!

Let me throw this out there as a recent newbie myself. I bought a 25-50 count humi it's already 2/3 full. I had the same thoughts as you that I would only keep 10-15 on hand at a time. Yeah, that was a great theory. Considering that from what I've read, most sticks get better the longer they age, you will want more room to store them. I would recommend for you to buy a 100+ ct humidor. I would if I could do it again.

Check out cheaphumidors.com, and look in the imperfects section. Also check sites like cigarbid.com, southsidecigars.com(a member/sponsor here), and tampahumidors.com.

Couple questions:

How long have you been smoking cigars?

How often do you have a cigar a day/week?

How many different cigars have you tried?

(fill in your profile, it will help FOGs get to know us noobs)

Some things to keep in mind, and some other newbs like myself can tell you, if you're just getting into it, you may want to keep buying some sticks, keep em' in a ziploc bag with a humi-pak, and keep trying what you like. If you find you're outgrowing that, and smoking more frequently, by all means, buy a humi. Just know, there's one newb member here who bought a humi, and it has broken his bank for a little bit, and he does not have any sticks! He has a nice humidor, but what's the point if you don't have anything to put in it yet??!?!

Just something to keep in mind as you are trying...

Personally, I went through humidorvault.com, and wished I hadn't. It took a really long time to ship to me. Southside Cigar has a website that's nice, as well as some other members who have their own shops. Try looking around and you'll run into them. Premiumhumidor.com always have a hook-up, I can't think of anything else. I'm sure others will tell you more sources as well.

If you think you're only going to be holding onto 10-15 cigars, if you spend any amount of time on this forum, you'll turn around and realize, "HOLY CRAP, I have no room!!!", and you'll have 50 cigars. I have a 250 ct. humi, and I considered myself a "casual" buyer AT FIRST, although since joining I'm now smoking at least one a day, and am STILL almost out of room in my 250 ct. humi!!!

Also, buying a humidor at a B&M, depending on where you go, you're going to pay a considerable amount....at least here in CA it's like that.

PS- Bsneed51 is right, buy a 100+ ct. humi. :thumbs:

Like I said, welcome to the freak show.

Couple questions:

How long have you been smoking cigars?

How often do you have a cigar a day/week?

How many different cigars have you tried?

(fill in your profile, it will help FOGs get to know us noobs)

(FOG's? Sorry, don't know what that means yet, hah.)

Ok, so I tried to fill out the "interests" part of my profile.

But basically I've been smoking for a couple-to-three months now. I have about one cigar every two-to-three weeks. I've tried maybe three or four different cigars. An unnamed one that was my friends that I didn't like too much, some Hemingways, some Arturo Fuente Rothschilds, and a Griffin.

I'm looking for a humidor, actually, because the bag-and-beads method doesn't seem to work for me. They'll either get too moist or dry out if I leave some of the ziplock open. I don't know why I can't seem to get it to work.

Thanks for you two's help, btw. 100+ ct's are tempting, but I'm not sure, yet. Hrm...

A 100 count humi will not cost that much if you look around. A very small humi (10 - 15) like you are talking about will most likely not be a cost effective purchase as that would not even enable you to purchase a few samplers and have some where to store them. I know 100 sticks sounds like a lot, but you will be surprised how quickly they add up. Also remember that 100 count humi doesn't mean you have to have 100 sticks. If you end up with 30 or 50, you will outgrow a 15 count box but still have plenty of room in a 100 ct.
Also, for example. I have 25 ct humis that are only $24.99, which sounds cheap, but to move up to a 100 ct is only $49.99 (based on an example). So for double the money, you end up with 4 times the storage.

If you need any help or want any advice, feel free to contact me.

Dave

Also, for example. I have 25 ct humis that are only $24.99, which sounds cheap, but to move up to a 100 ct is only $49.99 (based on an example). So for double the money, you end up with 4 times the storage.

I agree with this. Almost a year ago I started out with a 25ct. humi that I kept maybe 10 sticks in at a time. That lasted me pretty good for about 6 months or so. Then I met a couple more people who are into cigars, then I found this website, and before I knew it I found myself with a full humi and about 10 smokes on the way and nowhere to put them.

I think at least a 50ct. to start off with would be a good idea. You only need to keep about 20 sticks in there at a time to keep a good RH I think... and that way you have room to work with should you come across deals that you can't pass up. Even though you may continue to only smoke once in a while, there's nothing wrong with having a nice humi storing and aging those other smokes until you're ready to toast em up.

The websites already mentioned in this thread will do you fine, but southside sounds like he'll work with ya so by all means take that into consideration. Enjoy!

A 100 count humi will not cost that much if you look around. A very small humi (10 - 15) like you are talking about will most likely not be a cost effective purchase as that would not even enable you to purchase a few samplers and have some where to store them. I know 100 sticks sounds like a lot, but you will be surprised how quickly they add up. Also remember that 100 count humi doesn't mean you have to have 100 sticks. If you end up with 30 or 50, you will outgrow a 15 count box but still have plenty of room in a 100 ct.

If you need any help or want any advice, feel free to contact me.

Dave

VERY NICE DAVE!!!! :) Good looking out!

One more thing before i crash in bed:

Humidor Vault:

"Orphaned Cigar Humidors

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Occasionally we receive back some humidors from owners who abandoned them right after they were adopted. Although a rare occasion with our humidors, we always strive to find new homes for these poor lads! Here you can get a great deal on great humidors, in great condition and we will stand by these just like the others... With a Full 30 Day Money Back Guarantee. Sorry, no discount coupons allowed on orphans!! "

Here's the link, there's a 125 ct. Bally V 125 ct Humidor Orphan GLASSTOP I guess there's one left:

http://www.humidorvault.com/Orphaned_Humid..._Home_s/127.htm

$59 bones.

Not to jack Southside's plug, he IS a sponsor after all.....just giving you options.

My advice for all newcomers to this hobby is to start small, and to purchase a first humidor NO BIGGER than a 25 or 50 count.

The reality is that most people take interest in several hobbies in their lives. Many people begin those respective hobbies with great enthusiasm, but then have their interest in that hobby wane or end altogether soon afterwards. Or, and this could apply to you, many other people continue deeper into that hobby and find a modified use for their initial accessory purchases.

My suggestion to begin small thusly serves a twofold possibility: That you will stop this hobby and end up with cigar accessory purchases you do not want or need anymore - wasted $$$; or that you will continue on with this hobby and progress onto larger humidor needs - but will still have great uses for one or more small humidors (e.g. for "everyday smokes", to keep at work, "mooch-adors", etc).

You might consider getting an Otterbox travel humi. That way when (not if) you grow out of it, you will still have a use for it.

You might consider getting an Otterbox travel humi. That way when (not if) you grow out of it, you will still have a use for it.
x2 :thumbs:

Go to cigarmony.com Linky and buy yourself an Otterbox. Include "The Puck" 65RH for humidification and you will be all set.

I have traveled all over the world with an Otterbox. When I leave home I usually add some distilled water to The Puck and never touch it again, at times for 7 weeks or more, that's how well it keeps RH.
Best seal and transportable if you want.

Brian

I always recommend you go bigger as well. The main reason is that the "cigar count" is based on a one size cigar and the cigar size used varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

In short, "100 count" typically won't hold 100 cigars.

I hope this helps

~Mark

ps - don't forget the "cpass08" discount code! :thumbs:

Bigger is always better...

Buy a cooler till you find a humidor you like. You will wind up needing the cooler later anyway

As a long time cigar smoker my advice, for what little it is worth, is this. Buy a cooler. 20 ct. humi's are nice but they don't hold enough and you outgrow them very quickly if you start to like the hobby. If you invest in a cooler for roughly the same price you can always use it as a cooler if you decide not to smoke anymore but they can hold significantly more cigars and hold humidity exceptionally well.

Whatever you decide to do don't use the foam, buy beads. BEADS!

And of course, welcome to the addiction.

Fish

As a long time cigar smoker my advice, for what little it is worth, is this. Buy a cooler. 20 ct. humi's are nice but they don't hold enough and you outgrow them very quickly if you start to like the hobby. If you invest in a cooler for roughly the same price you can always use it as a cooler if you decide not to smoke anymore but they can hold significantly more cigars and hold humidity exceptionally well.

Fish

Amen to that.

ROFL, I can't get over that avatar Fish, I just can't it's so [beep] funny!

Fish

Bumped for truth. i bought a 48 qt cooler and a pound of beads. I just have cedar cigar boxes in the cooler for storing singles, etc. so I didn't have to try and line the cooler.

If you start with a new cooler, fill it with mild bleach water for 24 hours (gets rid of the new plastic smell) and let it air dry, preferably in the sun.(gets rid of the bleach smell).

The humidity beads make it really low maintanence.

does it really matter or can I just buy a humidor?

Yes and no, but whatever you try, go through one of the guys on here, like southside, or towercigars, they're good to go and their humis will be cheaper than most B&Ms.

Example: Went to a B&M in Corona, CA, saw a 100 ct. humi he was selling for $299, then I went online and bought my 250 ct. for $200.

Just food for thought.

ULTIMATELY, it's YOUR CHOICE. Take all the advice you want, but it's your decision boss.

Yes and no, but whatever you try, go through one of the guys on here, like southside, or towercigars, they're good to go and their humis will be cheaper than most B&Ms.

Example: Went to a B&M in Corona, CA, saw a 100 ct. humi he was selling for $299, then I went online and bought my 250 ct. for $200.

Just food for thought.

ULTIMATELY, it's YOUR CHOICE. Take all the advice you want, but it's your decision boss.

Well like I said I'm going to check the local B&M shops and see what they have to offer and their prices. Maybe I'll give those sites a look if they have better to offer, thanks though.

Just food for thought.

Well like I said I'm going to check the local B&M shops and see what they have to offer and their prices. Maybe I'll give those sites a look if they have better to offer, thanks though.

Buy what you want, its your money and contrary to popular belief, the humidor police rarely ever raid your home to make sure your humidor is "cool" enough. I went with a cooler because I was keeping it in the basement so no one ever sees it and I have a lot of really good storage for cheap.

If my humidor was in the living room, then it would have to meet with corporate approval (read as it would have to be pretty enough to keep the Mrs. happy) and I would want it to look nice also.