• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Small Smokes

BlindedByScience

Proud Father of a Kearney, NE LEO
Staff member
I'd like to start a discussion thread about small cigars.  I have some that have hit my radar over the years.  But, I'm interested in what other folks think about them, and if they have favorites that aren't on my short list. (Snicker....'short' list....).

Why small smokes?  Biggest thing is time.  At least for me, there are times when I just don't have an hour to devote to a bigger cigar.  I know what a decent cigar tastes like and won't smoke junk, but sometimes I don't have the time to spend with a Toro or even a Robusto (which are likely my two favorite vitolas).  AM with coffee calls for a shorter smoke, there are other times as well.

My definition of a "small" cigar is one that's at least 4 X 40 and probably not much bigger than a 4 X 50.  I'm not a big fan of the skinny 25 or 30 ring smokes out there.  If they get much bigger than 50 ring in this length they aren't a quick smoke so they fall out of my criteria.  And, honestly, that much ring in a short vitola doesn't do it for me.

There are others I've smoked that I've been less than impressed with, and I usually won't waste the time to review a smoke that I didn't like.  You may dig some others not mentioned here, but this is my list, and these are the ones I like most.  Here are some of the small sticks I've been most impressed with:

- Tatuaje Petite Cazadore Reserva (4 X 40)
This little spice bomb is my 'go to' for a small smoke, and is the standard I judge the rest of them by.  At 4 X 40 it's on the small end of my category, but it's a fantastic small smoke.  Just wonderful with AM coffee...if you want your ass kicked... :p   If you haven't tried one of these, I would encourage you to try a couple and see for yourself what a great small stick can taste like.  You may be very surprised.

- RoMa Craft Intemperance BA XXI (Brazilian Aripiraca - 4 X 46)
Another web site ranked this little stick in their top 10 smokes for last year, so out of curiosity I bought a few to try.  I've been impressed.  A nice looking small stick, with short shag foot on the end.  Dark, rich flavors make
this an interesting one to try.  Jury is still out but its complexity, construction and overall promise make it one I'm going to pay attention to. 

- Drew Estates Papas Fritas (4 1/2 X 44)
I really like the Liga #9's and the Undercrown line.  Having said that, this is a stick I didn't want to like.  More or less another gimmick stick, hard to find, rather expensive, short filler, etc.  Well, dang it, it's an absolutely great small smoke with flavors that are an interesting blend of #9 and the Undercrown line.  This is to say it’s a nicely complex, flavorful smoke.  Some like the Undercrown blend, some don't...but if you do, you'll like this smoke.  Had one last night....I like these quite a bit.

- My Father Le Bijou 1922 Petite Robusto (4 1/2 X 50)
This one is at the big end of my 'small smoke' category but it's a wonderful smoke.  The My Father Le Bijou 1922 line needs no introduction and this one has found a home in my cabinet since I discovered them some time ago.  More an evening smoke than a morning smoke, I grab these more often than not for a quick after dinner smoke when there's other stuff going on and time is a little short.  A great one, to be sure.

- Padron 1964 Anniversary Principe Cigars (4 1/2 X 46)
What else is there to say about these besides they are fantastic small smokes.  The 1964 Anniversary line is a classic series.  Some experienced smokers would say these are the best that Padron has to offer.  We can debate that but these are pretty wonderful small sticks.  Like the rest of the '64 line, both the natural and maduro wrappers have something to offer.  Like most of the '64 line, I tend to like the natural wrapper versions better. I find the blending of the tobacco to be so perfect, so flavorful, that the maduro wrapper, to me, seems to hide some of that wonderful blending.  But, make no mistake; these are both fantastic sticks and box worthy, to be sure.

- Tatuaje Cohete (4 X 50)
These were a special release cigar, made for Tower Cigars.  The first run of them were done in 2006 and there were 50 boxes of them made.  The next run was in 2009 and was a run of 100 boxes.  Hot rumor (OK, not a rumor) is that according to my info, this is going to return to Tower as more or less a production cigar (Mark, please correct me if I blew that one).  If you hurry and give Tower a call, you may be able to get you on the list for the March release.  I was lucky enough to score a couple boxes of the original release, and I still have one full box of the 08's which is what I'm going to base my reviews on.  I haven't smoked one of these in years, and I recall at the time plowing through them at a rather alarming rate.  Have to see if the taste is as good as my memory says it was.  Depending on when they ship, maybe I'll get a comparison with the new ones. 

- Tatuaje Bombazos (4 X 46)
Another special release, made for Fumare in Reno in 2006.  Fifty boxes were made, rumor is Pete kept two for himself.  Apparently there was a small run of recent production, but sadly they are long gone.  I was lucky enough to score a couple of the OR boxes, and like the Cohete, recall plowing through the first box quickly.  I have one unopened box left. 

So, there's my list. Any other small smoke connoisseurs out there?  Any on your 'short' list I missed...??

Cheers - B.B.S.

I'm looking forward to following this as I run into the same time issues and really need to add some shorter smokes to my humidor.  Thanks for starting the topic.

I enjoy the petite cazadores reserva, MF petite robusto, and lately La Palina KB.

I don't know if the Illusione 68, PLPC, Padron 1926 #35 are considered small cigars but those are some smaller ones I also enjoy.

I want to try the bombazo...but I don't think I'll be able to get my hands on them. Looking forward to the reviews Tom!

I enjoyed the box of Cohiba Minis I had for very short duration smokes, though I do believe they fall under the "too small" category for you here.  

The Tat Petite Cazadore and the Padron Principe are nice.  

My go to "short" smokes are Partagas Shorts.

Upmann Regalias from 2010 are smoking excellent right now.  Between those and MCW Liga II Robusto maduros, some mornings I can't decide which to smoke. 

Welcome to my world  BBS, as these are my go to and favorite sizes. I'll keep this short as I'm on my Nexus 4 (phone)

1. Ramon Allones - Small Club Corona See my member title. My all time favorite cigar.
  2. Por Larranaga - Panetelas A delicious and cheap little fire cracker.
  3. Por Larranaga - Petit Corona no commentary needed for this world class cigar.
  4. San Cristobal - El Principe I leather and woody short smoke that I adore.
  5. Partagas - Short Super consistant cigar that will deliver day in and day out. 
  6. Trinidad - Reyes Expensive but fantastic, Has a grassy hay flavor that I just crave. 
  7. Cohiba - SIglo I A typical Cohiba at an affordable price point. 
  8. Hoyo De Monterrey - Petit Robusto I've been smoking more and more of these over the past 2 years or so. 
  9. Diplomaticos - no. 5 Discontinued but still a go to for me. 
  10. Fuente - Short Story Maduro
  11. Illusione - ~68~ My favorite Illusione and NC cigar
  12. Illusione - Epernay Le Petit A fantastic medium body smoke that never fails. 
  13. Montecristo - No. 5 

P.S. I won't smoke any of PJ's stuff  ;) 

I like  the Illusione MK---and especially, the MK Ultra, although I understand Dion's not going to keep making that one---for a good "small smoke."  And of course, the Fuente Short Story.  The smallest Casa Magna's a nice one, too, as well as the Punch Rare Corojo Champ and the LFD El Jocko.

Don't think they're on the market anymore, but back when they were still an 'it' brand, Don Lino Africa had a tin size, Kuba Kuba maybe? Four per tin, about 3 1/2ish by 40ish, and a really nice way to spend about 20-30 minutes.

~Boar

I'm not sure if they are to small or not but right now I'm smoking a AF Short Story and its pretty awesome to me.

The Tatuaje Petite Cazadore Reserva is my favorite small cigar. I also enjoy the Fuente Short Story Maduro and the Partagas Party Shorts.

Some great ones listed so far, I would like to add the muwat baitfish, Herrera Esteli short corona gorda, and the Quesada espana short robusto to the mix

Short List of short smokes I am enjoying currently:
H. Upmann Half Coronas
Partagas Mille Fleurs
Bolivar Corona Junior
Por Larranaga Petite Corona

Paul

How's 5x44? LFD Chiselito makes my list. Man, how I wish Litto would make them with the Cammy wrapper.

What about the Tat T110? That's one of my favorite "special" go to short smokes. That and the Opus X PR.

Back