• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoke a Headley if you can!

gaspagoo

Genetics & Bad Decisions
So theres no confusion, I posted this review on SnS last night too. This is my first review and my first Headley Grange. So here we go.......

Headley Grange Estupendos (5.5 x 52)
Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper with Nicaraguan binder & filler

Prelight:
The stick is firm with just the right amount of give, and the wrapper is milk chocolate in color with a nice aroma and one prominent vein. Pretty much seamless. I used a cutter to get into this booger. The draw is perfect and the flavors are of sweet tobacco and raisin.

First third:
I toasted the foot and got this thing going good and went in for a good long draw. Flavors were good right out the gate. Leather, cocoa powder, faint almost red pepper spice, & some rich chocolate on the retrohale with little sting to the nose. Towards the end of this third, the spice is picking up a little on the retrohale, and I'm picking up what I can only describe as a turmeric spice also. This thing is getting really good. It's mild/medium bodied at this point.

Second third:
I'm picking up a dusty earthiness now and the retro is clearing the sinuses but not burning. I'm retrohaling every toke on this thing! Sweet cocoa dusted roasted almonds, crazy I know, but this is what I'm getting now. I'm also getting a flavor that is hard to identify, maybe.......slight vanilla cream? The sweetness is really showing up in a milk chocolaty way. The ash just fell off and the spice is picking up. On a side note, my wife is enjoying the aroma of the HG. This thing is turning into an artisan chocolate truffle: cocoa dusted, creamy, red pepper spice, with the faintest hint of cinnamon. I can't remember if I bought this thing at Godiva, or a B&M! Towards the end of this third, some good bitterness is moving in, and the strength is picking up. Some black pepper is showing up too. I'd say it's moving into a full medium body.

Final third:
I'm getting some hoppy bitterness. The sweetness is coming in strong and there's some charred steak on the finish. The char is stealing the show now, and the smoke is getting pretty warm. I'm sipping on the smoke now as I don't want to ruin a good thing here. Towards the end of the HG, the sweetness is still there, but the char is dominating along with some earthiness. The HG never went into full body mode in my opinion, but I could definitely feel some strength from it.

This was the first cigar from Crowned Heads that I have ever smoked, and as I'm sure y'all can tell, I really, really enjoyed my first encounter with ole Headley Grange here. This thing was like a meal with dessert first. It was more chocolaty than it's wrapper! They have a box that I could get, and payday is Friday..........hmmmm......I'll have to talk to the wife and see what I can get away with. I've read many reviews of various cigars, and have wondered where they get all these flavors from. This is the first time I've reviewed one myself and as I smoked it I had that mindset. I think I'll try to smoke with a review in mind more often. It was a rewarding experience. Thanks for your time and hope you enjoy your Headley Grange Estupendos.

100_0942-1.jpg

Good review Gaspagoo! Brooks on Halfwheel said the cigars are trunk pressed, not sure what that looks like other than square or oval. Think I may put that on my list of cigars to try.

Hmm, I have had one sitting in my humidor for a while because I didn't know much about it. Maybe soon.

Very nice review, Gaspagoo. I enjoyed reading it, keep it up. :thumbs:

My b&m doesn't carry these but I usually enjoy the flavors you were describing so I'll keep an eye out. Cheers!

Good review Gaspagoo! Brooks on Halfwheel said the cigars are trunk pressed, not sure what that looks like other than square or oval. Think I may put that on my list of cigars to try.

I'd say its like a soft box press with rounded corners. That's the appearance at least. Brooks knows a hell of allot more than me :) Thanks to everyone for reading.

Smoking one now. Found some in the Richmond area

Please let me know how it compares to my opinion. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
I really liked it. The flavors I got we're pretty similar to your review. I'm glad I grabbed more then one.

Great man, glad you enjoyed your's. When payday hit I went back to the shop and bought all they had left which was 6. I ges it was a good thing since that's all I could afford right now.

Nice review rocky, they sound like a brilliant stick and might have to see if I can grab a couple to sample.

Same here. Think the Four Kicks is a great smoke and have been waiting patiently for the HGs (thought with every rave review, the patience grows a but thinner). Also looking forward to the Mule Kick!

That release seemed to have snuck up on everyone, even though a 1000 boxes were released. I hope by the time it's 2013 and the line will come out again the blend won't change.

Yeah it worries me that the blend won't stay the same. It's an all to common story. My patience has run its course with this release, I hate when companies do this and string along a release.

This is just a preview of the brand. Huber is stand up fella. I don't have any worries, myself.

I just picked one up at my local B&M, can't wait to try it next week.