• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoking Banned in Va!

N2Advnture

Va. Senate Committee Approves Smoking Ban

Associated Press
Thursday, January 29, 2009; 1:10 PM

A Senate committee has passed legislation that would ban smoking in restaurants and most public buildings.

If those bills hit a snag, the Senate Education and Health Committee also passed bills to allow localities to enact their own smoking bans. All the bills passed by 11-3 votes Thursday.

Gov. Tim Kaine has advocated for a ban on smoking in all restaurants, saying that the government must protect residents from unhealthy secondhand smoke. Opponents say the government has no right to make decisions for private businesses and that a smoking ban could further damage businesses already crippled from a crumbling economy.

Similar bills have passed the Senate before but were killed in subcommittee in the Republican-controlled House.

How ironic is it that a tobacco state which garners a fair share of its revenue would do this? Talk about killing the golden goose.

Crap...
Any idea on what the exemptions will be; cigar shops, cigar bars, etc

How ironic is it that a tobacco state which garners a fair share of its revenue would do this? Talk about killing the golden goose.

That was the thought I had - and why I didn't imagine this happening in Virginia. It's a bit surprising and obviously disappointing. :(

Uhhhh it went over well in KY. Lexington and Louisville are smoke free. IT SUCKS.

Wow this sucks. I never thought for a minute that this would happen here for at least another ten years or so. Pretty soon you'll have to hide in your closet to smoke.

Wow this sucks. I never thought for a minute that this would happen here for at least another ten years or so. Pretty soon you'll have to hide in your closet to smoke.

No you can't the smoking police will indoctrinate your children and they will rat you out. Reminds of a book I read in 1984 :whistling:

So what states are left? South and North Carolina? are they the last standing states?

With SCHIP just passing and being funded by tobacco sales, I am wondering if this smoking ban craze will have an adverse effect on the money available for the children's health care bill?

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Hard to read a book about the history of Virginia without it mentioning the fact that tobacco funded it's economy for many, many years.

This irony is full of hypocrisy.

At least there are a few exemptions:
The legislation will ban smoking in nearly all restaurants across the Commonwealth, allowing narrow exceptions for private clubs and restaurants with a designated smoking room that is physically separated and independently ventilated from non-smoking dining areas.

I have found no mention of cigar shops. It looks like this does not affect them.

At least there are a few exemptions:
The legislation will ban smoking in nearly all restaurants across the Commonwealth, allowing narrow exceptions for private clubs and restaurants with a designated smoking room that is physically separated and independently ventilated from non-smoking dining areas.

I have found no mention of cigar shops. It looks like this does not affect them.

Carl, you can always retire to Dennis' man cave. Tell him I said you could have humidor priviledges. ;)