• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smoking / Collecting...

If it is an extremely HTF, I save them for others. Other than that, I smoke the damn things. I used to collect them, now I smoke them. 

I kind of do both now. I used to buy in 5 era but now it is by the boxes so I can smoke and collect at the same time !

IMO buying cigars and not intending on smoking them is like having a ferrari in the garage that you never drive...useless.

louich said:
I kind of do both now. I used to buy in 5 era but now it is by the boxes so I can smoke and collect at the same time !

IMO buying cigars and not intending on smoking them is like having a ferrari in the garage that you never drive...useless.

Good point, I do smoke them, and want to. Just hard convincing myself of the right reason to burn a particular smoke. Im going to start buying by box, or at least 5 at a time, that way im balanced between both hobbies. I like to have it, and say WOW thats good, and have at least one more for the collection....and 1 more to give out if I feel the need.

I think the younger you are the more likely you are to think collecting HTF cigars is a good idea. One health scare in my mid 40's was enough to change my opinion. 

Now a days I give away more HTF cigars than I smoke because I get as much if not more enjoyment from sharing them with friends than I do smoking them myself. 
I know there are a ton of other guys here that feel the same way. 

sigar_zealot said:
I think the younger you are the more likely you are to think collecting HTF cigars is a good idea. One health scare in my mid 40's was enough to change my opinion. 

Now a days I give away more HTF cigars than I smoke because I get as much if not more enjoyment from sharing them with friends than I do smoking them myself. 

Wow, now there is a good outlook. Glad you contributed to this thread. Thanks

Some good advice in this thread. 

I only smoke 1-2 evenings each week.  But on those evenings, I will smoke 2-4 cigars.  I always start with a top end smoke.  My philosophy (which I attribute in large part to Infinity) is this:   Smoke the good ones today; you never know if you'll be around tomorrow. 

Another important thing l learned from Infinity was that gifting a premium cigar to a BOTL who may not be able to afford nicers sticks is a great pleasure.  He sent me the first Padron 1926 I ever smoked, and it's one of the best cigar experiences I've ever had.  Now that I'm at a place in my life where I can afford premiums and HTF's, I enjoy sharing them with whomever I'm smoking with.

Btw, the BBMF I'm smoking in my profile pic was torched in Infinity's honor.  I never met him face-to-face, but he taught me some valuable life lessons.

I don't have the patience to keep a cigar more than a few months, but i don't have many in stock and also i don't have any collectable cigars. 
So, i smoke all i have, without discrimination  :D 

I believe I can understand where you are coming from? I too, have a hard time "parting" with some of my favs./special cigars....and I also can't seem to never find that "perfect time". Some will say hoarding, others will say collecting, a few may call it aging....and of course, others will say that life is too short- burn it up. All of these ideas are great.

That's why, for me anyways, smoking cigars is such a fun experience. We ALL have our own reasons for the way we handle our hobby. Some folks may never save cigars for more than a few weeks...others might have an emotional attachment to a cigar being saved, and rather see it wither away in their top drawer and turn to dust because smoking it may not seem like the proper thing to do? Some have the money to p*ss away, and holding on to an Opus Chilli Pepper is like holding on to a penny. While others cant seem to scrounge up enough pennies to treat themselves to more than one. It's all relative...

I tend to hold on to cigars, and have no shame in doing so. Especially if I get down to just 1, or 2. I do it for the thrill... You know, that excitement you get when you finally reach into the humi. and smoke that crusty, well aged stick that has taunted you every time you opened the drawer/lifted the lid. Or that feeling you get when you are able to hook up a fellow brother with a HTF or special cigar you have been holding onto for years, and then they send you a TXT message almost a year later on the 4th of July saying "Thank you brother. Im really enjoying the stick"....with a pic of the cigar you gave them in their hand. That's why I hold onto them....for the thrill, for the brotherhood. Sorry for the long response. Just my 2cents.

I used to save all the HTFs for "that special occasion".  Then last summer I caught a nasty virus and lost my sense of smell for almost 6 months.  Cigars all tasted like shyt during that time. All I kept thinking was "I never got the chance to smoke this one or that one."  Luckily, my sense of smell returned fully after 12 months, so now I smoke at least one HTF each week, because you never know when you're time is up!

Set-In-Stone said:
I believe I can understand where you are coming from? I too, have a hard time "parting" with some of my favs./special cigars....and I also can't seem to never find that "perfect time". Some will say hoarding, others will say collecting, a few may call it aging....and of course, others will say that life is too short- burn it up. All of these ideas are great.

That's why, for me anyways, smoking cigars is such a fun experience. We ALL have our own reasons for the way we handle our hobby. Some folks may never save cigars for more than a few weeks...others might have an emotional attachment to a cigar being saved, and rather see it wither away in their top drawer and turn to dust because smoking it may not seem like the proper thing to do? Some have the money to p*ss away, and holding on to an Opus Chilli Pepper is like holding on to a penny. While others cant seem to scrounge up enough pennies to treat themselves to more than one. It's all relative...

I tend to hold on to cigars, and have no shame in doing so. Especially if I get down to just 1, or 2. I do it for the thrill... You know, that excitement you get when you finally reach into the humi. and smoke that crusty, well aged stick that has taunted you every time you opened the drawer/lifted the lid. Or that feeling you get when you are able to hook up a fellow brother with a HTF or special cigar you have been holding onto for years, and then they send you a TXT message almost a year later on the 4th of July saying "Thank you brother. Im really enjoying the stick"....with a pic of the cigar you gave them in their hand. That's why I hold onto them....for the thrill, for the brotherhood. Sorry for the long response. Just my 2cents.

Well said.

sigar_zealot said:

You just explained me 2 years ago. Now I have been pretty good about smoking my HTF and or sharing since I know I will not get to them all.  Very well said.

Set-In-Stone said:

:D  :thumbs:  :D  :thumbs:  :D

You the Man!

Thanks for the input guys. I had second thoughts about even starting thia thread. In fear of what could be said.... haha but all of your opinions are very good. I appreciate it.

sigar_zealot said:

This exactly. I love collecting the HTF cigsrs but I think I get more enjoyment passing them on to a brother when I know he'll appreciate it. Just a word of caution though, don't let your desire of collecting control you. Because it can halpen . Before you know it, you'll have a cabinet humidor, four desktops and several coolerdors. Smoke 'em if you got 'em and disregard the hype.