• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

So...what are YOU doing with your life?

N2Advnture

Man...I feel like crap!

~Mark

U-Va.'s One-Year Wonder
Teen Graduates Early, With a Double Major

By Susan Kinzie
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, September 20, 2006

And you thought your kid was smart.

David Banh, an 18-year-old from Annandale, just graduated from the University of Virginia in one year. With a double major.

David Banh of Annandale took more than 60 credits at U-Va. within a year.

His college education, almost entirely covered by a patchwork of scholarships, cost him about $200. And he sold back textbooks for more than that. Now he's starting graduate study at U-Va. with a research grant.

So at this point, he's technically running a profit.

He's upending two trends: Most students take longer to graduate than you might think -- about two-thirds of freshmen at four-year colleges in Virginia manage to finish within six years. And tuition gets more expensive every year.

He was helped by the fact that U-Va., as a public school, costs a lot less than most private colleges. And that the university accepted many of his Advanced Placement credits from high school; many of the most selective private schools wouldn't. As it was, he doubled up on course credits and took more physics over the summer to finish his second major.

Many professors would like students to explore and experiment in college rather than cram in as much as possible at top speed.

Still, "I've never seen anything like that before," said Donald Ramirez, professor and associate chairman of mathematics at U-Va.

"He's one of a kind," said Vicki Doff, his counselor at the competitive magnet Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Fairfax County. "Absolutely amazing kid academically, incredibly persistent, bright, focused and determined. His academic record was second to none. I've been here over 20 years, and I've never had a student take the course load he did in his years here."

She used to worry he was doing too much. "And he usually proved me wrong."

Banh was born and grew up in Fairfax, the eldest son of parents who came to the United States from Vietnam in the 1980s.

Even in elementary school, he was trying to get ahead. His bus driver in kindergarten told his mom that the boy would do problems or talk about lessons on the bus with the other children, Kim Banh said. In second grade, he told her he was bored and wanted harder math problems.

His parents pushed him. He liked learning new things rather than repeating what he already knew. He had a sort of low-key competition with a smart girl at his school. His uncle helped tutor him. "It was nice to be a year ahead" in math, he said. "It made me feel special when I was little."

By eighth grade, he said, most of the motivation came from himself, not his parents. By his second year in high school, he was taking three AP classes.

"I sort of got a little addicted to it," he said. At TJ, he was taking more AP classes than any other sophomore that year, so, he figured, why not do it again next year? "I took six the year after that and figured I may as well take a bunch of exams the next year as well."

Meanwhile, he had mastered bridge -- yes, the card game -- competed in tournaments all over and ran the school club, which doubled in size.

"I loosened my schedule up senior year a lot," he said, meaning he took fewer classes.

What? Why?

"So I could maximize the amount of time I had to attempt five or six AP exams outside of the ones I was taking."

His mom said she is proud but sometimes worried about the track he was on. "He didn't have time to do a lot of stuff," she said. "He [would] just go home, do homework, take another extra homework and do it. He ate dinner for 15 minutes or ate dinner still looking at a book.

"I said, 'No, I do not want this.' But I guess it's helped him [in] that he believes he can do things. That's the most important to me."

Banh went to U-Va. with the equivalent of 72 college credits. It takes 120 to graduate, and the school requires that at least half come from U-Va. classes.

The typical course load is 15 credits a semester.

His first semester, he took 23 credits and found he had more time than he did in high school to spend with friends, playing games (video games or board games, he clarified, not drinking games). Or just hanging out.

"I don't feel like I missed out," he said. "Most of college was euphoria."

He had some low points, especially late in April when the workload for his 37 credits seemed crushing, and his grades started to slip. (To some Bs.)

The best part was when he finished his last exam and knew he'd done it: No matter what, he had a college degree. "If bad things happened, I could go out and make some decent living for myself."

The most important thing he learned in class, in math, was to construct a logical, coherent argument. And the most important thing he learned in college, he said, "is to value the people you spend time with, your friends."

Now he's a grad student. His research project, with fifth-year doctoral candidate Lorena Bociu, is on the stabilization of pressure in an acoustic chamber -- as if to reduce the noise in a music chamber or lower the pressure in an aircraft cabin -- and involves using mathematical equations to -- well, you get the idea.

He expects to finish his master's degree this academic year -- why wouldn't he?

Then a doctorate in math is possible (especially if he feels that he wants to stay in college).

More likely he'll go to law school.

At night, while working.

He wants to be a patent attorney. Growing up with parents who arrived in the United States with very little and now work at the post office and in real estate, money was not a problem exactly, but . . . he'd like to have a career that ensures he doesn't have to think about money anymore.

He's not super competitive, he said. But sometimes it's good to have someone, or something, to compete with.

"Everyone," he said, "needs a little more motivation."

I made some killer nachos last night with Cheese Wiz.

That's about it.

Well ... if you cut the drinking, partying, and chasing coeds out of the equation, there is lots of free time to take extra credits and graduate super-fast. But what's the point in that?

Edit: grammar.

...I knew a guy much like this. He worked two jobs, took college classes, owned four rental houses by the time he was 21, etc. He dropped dead from a heart attack when he was 29. Really.

You bet it's impressive, but there has to be balance in your life. You have to stop and smell the coffee, now and then, methinks....

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

...I knew a guy much like this. He worked two jobs, took college classes, owned four rental houses by the time he was 21, etc. He dropped dead from a heart attack when he was 29. Really.

You bet it's impressive, but there has to be balance in your life. You have to stop and smell the coffee, now and then, methinks....

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

Well said! Too much work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy.

Brian

I made seven bucks* playing cards for three hours last night. He doesn't impress me.

*To keep the books looking good, I'm amortizing the cost of a couple of cigars I gave to my poker buddies, else I'd be about even.

I guess he learned a lot of book material, but he missed out on the great life lessons that can only come from a more leisurely stroll through college. :) :whistling:

My school wouldn't even let me take 18 credits a semester, and [tooting horn] I was an honor student! [/tooting horn]

More power to the guy, but I don't think that path is even remotely geared for true success in life outside of a laboratory.

Good luck to the young man. I wish him the best!

For me, college is all about experience. This guy cannot possibly remember half the classes he took, probably made no friends, and never really took anytime to think about his major(s). What’s the point?

I agree- college is all about the experience. I bet our boy never watched two girls make out and fall into a kiddy pool of goldfish that other people were consuming alive while drinking beer.

Anyone else miss college?

Smart guy...brilliant... and A very accomplished young man!
But really what does he know about the Life and LIVING?

What happens when we focus so much on our goals that we fail to see the scenery and the marvels around us.

What happens when we focus so much on our goals that we fail to see the scenery and the marvels around us.

jessica_simpson_twin.jpg

<edit - friggin linky's>

Yeah I'm in college right now and see people like this but not quite as extreme. Very few friends or social life due to course load and studying. Of course you can get the opposite which is those who party their way out of college first semester.

Personally I'm in the middle taking an average course load and keeping the social life in check.

I’m not going to knock anyone for achieving and trying to better themselves. It’s a wonderful thing and where a lot of people have regrets later in life. However from the people I’ve met and worked with over the years the type that stayed in on the weekends and never really had fun in collage didn’t really mature that well. It makes it quite hard for a good amount of them later in life when there trying to start a family ect.

Well ... if you cut the drinking, partying, and chasing coeds out of the equation, there is lots of free time to take extra credits and graduate super-fast. But what's the point in that?
Spoken like a true 5 year-er :thumbs:

My $00.02 - B.B.S.
Yep, life is to preccious to spend with your nose in a book.

No one ever died wishin' they'd spent more time at work.

AMEN!

AMEN AGAIN! ;)

Can I get a triple Amen, with a turbo Hallelujah?