• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Software

boeman, (see the second post of this thread) I started this idea by saying that I would write the software for the group, but if you seem to be eager to write it. I think that is great and you are welcome to it, if you want it. :)

boeman said:
I need to write my first desktop app in .net, all I have written so far is web applications.
I've only used C++ in .NET but I'm pretty underwhelmed so far. First of all, the garbage collection stuff is....well garbage. It's hard to convert from __gc (garbage collected) data types to non-garbage collected types. Also, you can't put a destructor in a __gc class. Bad idea #1. Next, the debugger doesn't allow you to view the application being debugged while you're sitting at a breakpoint. Really bad idea. Then the debugger lies to you. While you're single-stepping, it will show code getting executed that really doesn't. And lastly you can't put a watch on a variable passed into a function! To see it, you have to create a local variable and assigned the passed-in value to it.

If I had to use VB or C# .NET, I'd probably look for another line of work. It's that bad.

blair said:
boeman, (see the second post of this thread) I started this idea by saying that I would write the software for the group, but if you seem to be eager to write it. I think that is great and you are welcome to it, if you want it. :)
I'm sorry... All I really said was I was planning on writing one anyway... I didn't mean to step on toes.

boeman said:
blair said:
I'm sorry... All I really said was I was planning on writing one anyway... I didn't mean to step on toes.
You're not stepping on anyone's toes. I'm glad to see such interest in the project. Please do feel free to take it on! Either way is plenty fine with me. :D

Great idea guys you can collaborate together!

I know nothing about writing software. Hey I am just amazed everytime I turn on the left handle of the water faucet the water comes out hot and when you turn on the right it comes out cold no how does it know that ............. ???

Either way I would think two heads are better than one at figuring this stuff out ;)

Look forward to seeing some of your progress.

So enough talkin start workin LMAO!

BenjieV :D

This thread is giving me nightmares.....I've just spent the last three days doing revised work estimates on a software development project...most of which are a result of a customer that has no clue how to write a decent set of requirements.

Just wondering.....is the consideration being made that there might be some non-Windows users who'd want to take advantage of the software? Just curious.

I have to admit, it'd be kinda cool...like 'our' own little software project. Solicit everyone for what they'd like to see in the software, features, GUI design, etc....get everyone who's interested involved...

hard-case said:
Just wondering.....is the consideration being made that there might be some non-Windows users who'd want to take advantage of the software? Just curious.
It can be. Compiling code under different platforms usually doesn't (or shouldn't) require much code alteration. But it should be kept in mind, while writing, if other platforms are to indeed be considered. I generally work in C++ and try to keep away from VB. Does anyone happen to know if the MFC is portable to Linux? (I guess I could just do a quick google... lazy ??? )

There is a widget toolkit that is portable but I can't think of the name of it. I'll try to google it up and post it here. MFC certainly isn't. It's as non-portable as Microsoft can possibly make it. .NET is a further refinement of this concept....it's not even ANSI C++.

True...Java is very portable. What I was thinking of was a class library that would run on Windows, Unix and OS X. I'll look around on freshmeat and see if I can hunt it down. I for one would like to have such a program that would run under *nix. I use Windows as little as possible (mostly for Medal of Honor :) ) and the rest of my boxen run some form of Linux. I think a good start would be a port of HerferBuddy. I used the eval version on my PalmPilot for a while and it's a pretty nifty tool. Right now I keep my inventory on a Gnumeric spreadsheet so anything with a relational database backend such as PostgreSQL or mySQL would be a huge improvement.

If you want something portable. I'm out... I'm strictly an MS guy.

That's where all the money around here is... not too much outside the MS realm, unless I want to get back into IT

Money? Were you planning on getting paid for this? :)

Do what you want to do. I was just casting a vote. Nothing says you have to listen to it.

Personally, I do enough MS development at work. When I come home I want to use something a little less user-hostile.

This is very anal, but it would work if you took the time to set it up and use it. :D

I use Quickbooks Pro for my business. I played around with it one time for inventory, bombing and trading purposes. I didn't ever get everything entered in but here is what I found out.

I entered in about 20 different cigars as Invertory Items. It has a place for preferred vendor, cost, quantity, and notes among other things. It is completely customizable.

I entered in Customers. Joe.M., Shadow, etc.

I simulated purchases and entered them in from JR's, local stores, etc.

I simulated bombs that I sent out and put them as Sales Receipts using the "customers" name in the "Sold TO" field. (prices optional) If you were expecting a return bomb and wanted to track of who had re-bombed you and who hadn't, you could but the people you bombed as "Invoices" instead of "Sales Receipts." Sales receipts means "paid" and invoice means "not paid" (duh) so you could easily pull a report if entered as invoiced and see who owed you what. If that mattered to you. ???

I simulate bombs that were sent to me as "Entered Bill" As I entered the bill, I would itemize the cigars that were given and put a "Bill Due" date on it so I would be reminded to re-bomb that person. (prices optional) It will even print packing labels with itemized list.

When I smoked, I planned on keeping a mental note or a piece of paper with cigars written on it so I could enter them as "sold to" me. I could then put notes on the sales receipt and/or copy this info to the Item Listing.

This would work great and has all necesary functions for everything involved as far as I can tell. You just have to think like an accountant to use it.

Quickbooks Pro is not cheap. Around $300. If you have it, give it a try. I think you will see that it will work. This same thing may be able to be done using Quicken or MS Money, but some features may not be available and you may not be able to customize it as easy as you can Quickbooks.

If someone wants to develop a program for what was first talked about, I think that would be a great thing to do for the cigar community. If one person wants to develop the software, great. If you all want to collaborate, I think that'd be great too. If everyone who knows how to program wants to write their own program, that's even great too! It would be nice for someone to write a program. I've had several people come to me in the past and say they wanted to write a program for CP... It was going to be an online cigar database, where members could add cigars to the database and rate/review them. Well, after 3 attempts by 3 separate people who all never actually did the project, I realized it simply wasn't going to happen. So that's why we have a forum dedicated to cigar reviews.

So in short, if you want to create a program, go for it, I for one sure would like to see it happen for once...

Anyways, hope this works out...

Have a good weekend,
Rod

FatherTiresius said:
Money? Were you planning on getting paid for this? :)

Do what you want to do. I was just casting a vote. Nothing says you have to listen to it.

Personally, I do enough MS development at work. When I come home I want to use something a little less user-hostile.
No... not at all! I was stating that I only know MS languages because there is not a large demand for anything else in this area.

Rod said:
If someone wants to develop a program for what was first talked about, I think that would be a great thing to do for the cigar community. If one person wants to develop the software, great. If you all want to collaborate, I think that'd be great too. If everyone who knows how to program wants to write their own program, that's even great too! It would be nice for someone to write a program. I've had several people come to me in the past and say they wanted to write a program for CP... It was going to be an online cigar database, where members could add cigars to the database and rate/review them. Well, after 3 attempts by 3 separate people who all never actually did the project, I realized it simply wasn't going to happen. So that's why we have a forum dedicated to cigar reviews.

So in short, if you want to create a program, go for it, I for one sure would like to see it happen for once...

Anyways, hope this works out...

Have a good weekend,
Rod
Rod sounds like he's getting tired of all talk and no action. But, Rod, if this thing is going to happen you should be prepared for a lot more talk before any action takes place! The preliminaries are generally more difficult and time consuming than writing the code itself. Coding is the easy part.

Perhaps a modular approach would be the best (ie. an exaggerated OOP). I nominate FT to be the lead software engineer: to oversee the project, establish goals/deadlines, and create a hollow GUI. The functionality of the GUI can then be partitioned such that the functions may be assigned to the participating developers (whoever they may be). Each "function module", once completed, is then emailed to FT for integration into the program.

That having been said, it must be C++ (MFC or no) or I'm out. I'm an electrical engineer not a software engineer and so my programming skills are limited to just "get me by". I suggest that the best language be used despite my limitation. If it is C++, that's great - count me in. If C++ is not the best I'll give my support when and where I can. :D

Electrical Engineer or Electronics? If you design chips, I feel for you bro. I trouble shoot gear to the card, sometimes to the component level. I stay away from software, except to know that a signal is supposed to be coming out of a certain port.

Emo

If you guys want a forum dedicated to only the development of the program, let me know and I'll open a new forum. That way you guys can probably collaborate better.

Let me know...

Thanks,
Rod

If you guys want a forum dedicated to only the development of the program, let me know and I'll open a new forum. That way you guys can probably collaborate better.
Great idea Rod. I think this would go a long way toward actually getting the thing done :D