• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sorry, But I Have to Do This

slcraiders

Oh where to begin?

I write this with mixed emotions. Part of me wants to let water flow under the bridge and move on; while the other part of me knows this message must go out as a signal to the community. I do not want to destroy anyone’s reputation. At the same time, I feel that withholding information from this community could do more harm than good if someone were to not make good on future dealings etc. So I will start by laying out the facts.

In late June, Pembroke3355 started playing poker with us regularly and in a short amount of time (Early July) built up a huge debt of premium smokes (34 total sticks- $8 min MSRP per stick to 5 people). A couple of weeks pass and no cigars. He sends an email to this group- myself included to confirm what he owed and to let us know he ran into financial issues due to lending his brother a large sum of $$ and that he was sorry for taking so long and will try to make good in the next “couple weeks” (7/31).

Nearly 3 weeks later and we still have not heard back. However, we notice Pembroke actively involved in buys, sales and passes on the board. This obviously does not sit well when debts are owed. I was pissed especially with the sale thread. I was tempted to out him right there, but in my attempt at being a nicer person; used some restraint. As a group, we decided before doing anything- to seek the advice of an established well respected member. Sound advice was given, but we did not take it. Instead, we agreed that we would approach Don via PM and if that did not work- go with the advice. Although active, it took Don a couple of days to get back with us (he apparently did not get the PM) and just at the time we were going to “out him” - poof! …he communicates that some smokes are on the way and others will be on the way in a couple weeks and so on (8/21). Feeling bad for him, some forgave his debt, yet he insisted he would make good.

At this time, I know he has squared up with at least one person. He has attempted to make good with others by sending out half of the cigars they were owed as an installment. These were received last week, but the kicker is that he sent out $3-4 cigars that are half of the stick value of what he played for. This takes the cake. Being this late was one thing, but not even holding to the stakes was wrong. I pm’d Don stating my dissatisfaction. He replied back with some bogus arguments (i.e. what he payed for a Sancho Panza) of which I threw back at him.. …we have had a few exchanges since then that have been kinder in nature. He has laid out the specifics of making good with me. I am comfortable with his proposal and await the cigars. He knows we will not play poker with him again. Others receiving the same sub-par cigars as part of their payouts have also expressed their unhappiness with the smokes and I hope that they work toward resolution with Don.

IMO, this episode has gone on long enough and was not handled well by Don. I have seen others outed for less- even in the poker room. I know others have had positive experiences with him on this forum so maybe a rebound can eventually be made.

I am sorry for doing this in this way, Don. I think you are a great person. You are in over your head though and should lay low of passes and exchanges etc. until obligations are met at a minimum.

I am sorry to my fellow poker players. I should have taken a lead here sooner instead of standing by watching it all play out. We should not let one bad apple destroy the barrel here.

I am sorry to CP. Better late than never, but note should have gone up a month ago. I felt it should be known that this is a very active member who is currently in arrears. As sick as it makes me feel typing this note, it would make me even sicker if any of you should have a negative experience with this member while this unbecoming behavior was not disclosed.

This is what must happen when private attempts have failed. Pembroke, this isn't a death knell, but now that its open, please let us know what you intend to do. Strangely enough, if you default, others will step in and settle your debt.

Raider,

I’m sorry to hear of the situation between you, fellow brothers and Pembroke. Being a newbie to CP and still earning my strips, I wish not to pry in matters involving the more established. I just feel since I’ve recently engaged in a transaction with Pembroke maybe my two cents could be beneficial.

As I stated earlier, Pembroke posted a sell for a newbie meeting certain criteria’s. I was the lucky one to respond first. The sale was generous and included some very nice sticks. I sent him my MO as soon as possible and he responded by doing the same. Pembroke was a delight in his correspondence and seemed a true gentleman.

After reading your message, I can only surmise you went to great lengths to resolve the issue while trying to minimize damage to his reputation. You should be applauded for that. I can only hope this situation has been a huge misunderstanding and a satisfactory solution can be met by all parties involved.

1badbird

I can't see why people play poker when they don't have the funds to cover the loses.

This is what must happen when private attempts have failed. Pembroke, this isn't a death knell, but now that its open, please let us know what you intend to do. Strangely enough, if you default, others will step in and settle your debt.

More or less Bruce, as I don't like seeing anyone get "ripped off." So, let me know, and if anyone is organizing something to settle this score when another BOTL is in over his head, sign me up. I'd much rather see the BOTLs who are owed the cigars, to be paid FIRST.

In my small opinion, there's a time when it's time to say "when," and discretion is the better part of judgment.

Don, I don't know your situation, and I don't know why one would get themselves in a situation where they are 30+ cigars in the hole, but sometimes it's time to hang up your gloves and settle the score. If you need some "loans" to settle your debt, you know where to find me. But for God's sake man, don't fall this hard to the point where you're getting called out... :( Hate so see it happen to a fellow newbie. PM me if you need some sticks sent, and we'll work it out later.

If all else fails he's got a pretty good FFL team we could sell for him.

NA

More or less Bruce, as I don't like seeing anyone get "ripped off." So, let me know, and if anyone is organizing something to settle this score when another BOTL is in over his head, sign me up. I'd much rather see the BOTLs who are owed the cigars, to be paid FIRST.

In my small opinion, there's a time when it's time to say "when," and discretion is the better part of judgment.

Don, I don't know your situation, and I don't know why one would get themselves in a situation where they are 30+ cigars in the hole, but sometimes it's time to hang up your gloves and settle the score. If you need some "loans" to settle your debt, you know where to find me. But for God's sake man, don't fall this hard to the point where you're getting called out... :( Hate so see it happen to a fellow newbie. PM me if you need some sticks sent, and we'll work it out later.

Admirable gesture souldog but I think you missed Smurfy's point. If we have to make things right it's for the guys that are owed not the guy that owes... cause he ain't gonna be here no more.

NA

It sounds like a pretty sticky situation all around with a few different possible (and not necessarily mutually exclusive) perspectives. While I don't have anything of substance to weigh in regarding the matter directly, I do want to say that I've been the recipient of Don's generosity several times over--back before this seems to have come to a head, if that's of any consolation--and I'm sure he'll do whatever he can to make things right.

Admirable gesture souldog but I think you missed Smurfy's point. If we have to make things right it's for the guys that are owed not the guy that owes... cause he ain't gonna be here no more.

NA

My fault at communicating Neal. I agree with you, and my offer stands as such: To make things right for the guys that are owed.

Don, ya should've known better. :( Like I said, when do you say "when?"

Neal summed it up pretty well, everyone pay attention.

I can't see why people play poker when they don't have the funds to cover the loses.
AND...

Why anyone would be allowed to fall in the hole for 34 premium sticks @ $8 a stick, that's $272

Change the poker rules guys. How about, if anyone owes, say 10 sticks, he has to stop playing until he pays up.

Brian

If all else fails he's got a pretty good FFL team we could sell for him.

NA

NA
Exactly!
A good example of this would be Nice_Ashh. He defaulted on items he offered up for a benefit auction. Strayvector was the victim in this case. Several brothers made good on the items behind the scenes for Sam I hear, but Nice_Ashh has, and never will be seen here again.

AND...

Why anyone would be allowed to fall in the hole for 34 premium sticks @ $8 a stick, that's $272

Change the poker rules guys. How about, if anyone owes, say 10 sticks, he has to stop playing until he pays up.

Brian

That's what I was thinking.

Don - you can write up a storm sometimes...keep it simple, post a plan and stick to it(pun intended)!

Seems to be a lot of crap happening in the poker area lately.

Don seems like a genuinely nice guy but it's sad to say that these lines of communication didn't open up until I was told of the situation and promptly told him I was ready to drop him from my pass. It was then that each guy started getting pm's on when they'd get paid. I was good with his intentions and actions up until I heard that he had paid out in $3 and $4 cigars....it was then that I released him from the pass. Even then he's kept a good demeanor about him (other than hounding everyone and his brother about who "ratted" him out to me), a good demeanor at this point isn't what's needed.....acceptable closure to the situation is.

I too am very sorry it has to come out like this, but we made a bad situation worse. There are 4 of us that were owed, and 1 has been paid properly. 3 others are owed. We were lax in letting it get to that point. Simple enough to correct. Hopefully we all learn from this and can make different decisions that work best for all around.

Don

Edit: to add a big thanks to those that helped out in this situation to make us see the better way we could have handled things from the beginning. I do not want to name names, but thanks.,... Hopefully there won't bne any other time where we will need that guidance!!!

Jim, well said.

Wow. Sorry to hear about this on all accounts. It's so easy to get sucked in when your not thinking about "real money". In the future, I suggest that once one builds up a debt of say 5 premiums or so, that debt should be paid before they play again. Thats a bit less than $50, and it protects both partys, whether they want to be protected or not. Personally, if I lose twice in a night or in a couple of days I stop playing until I can repay that debt. Actually I try to be very upfront about it, and at times will play but everyone knows that I might not send sticks until payday.

In trying to analyze part of what could cause something like this, I think its due in part to poker be played so often. When I first joined, it appeared to be an every wednesday type of thing. Now its almost a daily thing. It doesn't absolve anyone of thier debts...you have one, you need to make right on it and if you know you can't then you don't play...but it does seem to contribute to issues like this.

Hey sam, let me know whos on that ffl team though so I don't have to "bark through the fence" anymore. ;)

Waiting for a response.

3 Members: StinkiMonki, pembroke3355, uptown_isy

All I can say is wow, you owe 34 cigars and you send out $3-4 cigars as partial payment. Not the way the game is played here.

Make this right ASAP and stop playing poker, selling cigars and trading here until you satisfy your debt!

Hey sam, let me know whos on that ffl team though so I don't have to "bark through the fence" anymore. ;)
I think that's a bit premature but I will say this, for 65 bones I would buy his team.

NA

I'd love to play a few games of poker, but crap like this keeps me off the tables. I prefer to be face to face and know who I'm dealin' with, and know that the debt will be settled at the end of the night.

It's too bad this type of thing prevents others from enjoying it. Hope you guys get your sticks.