• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Souldog sad news

Brent and ironpeddler - thanks for your posts that put into words what I'm sure many are thinking and feeling.

He was my kid on a Secret Santa some years back before he had to pull out due to whatever reason.  But I had already done my research and did some shopping for him and sent the package anyway.  I remember buying about a pound of that Christmas Cookie that he raved about so much, threw some other things in there along with a new uniform t shirt.  He had sent me a PM expressing his thanks about a week later.  A simple thank you would have done but this guy went on and on about how much the package meant to him and how he was rationing his last bit of tobacco - just overall being very appreciative and humbled by the package.  He began ribbing me about how my new shirt smelled like garbage and how he knows I laced his tobacco with weed because I'm from the Bronx and that's what Bronx guys do :laugh:

I'm going to miss how he used to get joked on here as well as how he used to dish it out

Rest in peace Jon

Truly sad news.  I interacted with him only briefly but he was always a stand up guy with a good sense of humor.  RIP Jon.

NASTY said:

I'm going to miss how he used to get joked on here as well as how he used to dish it out

You could always bust his balls and he'd take it in stride. He posted a selfie on FB last year of him in one of his bicycle outfits. It was white with red "splashed" and dripping from the top. I quickly replied that he looked like a used tampon. He told me how fucked up I was, but we had a good laugh anyways (after he removed the pic). :laugh:

I just realized last night I posted a pic of a pink doughnut earlier this month in an attempt to cheer him up and bring him out of hiding (It did). Just never thought for a minute......

RIP Jon... I knew you a bit through chat and small conversation here and there.  Great guy, just sucks he took this way out.

Thank you Gary for posting the picture.  It is how I remember him looking when I saw him, minus the uniform though.  He is the only one from CP I have actually ever met in person.

I don't know how to express exactly how I feel.  Its like I can be happy one moment, then I feel guilty for being that way.  I've only had something like this happen to me once, a guy in one of my ffl leagues.  Still play it over and over.  I was on vacation, and he called me to make a move (I had to make the move for him, something like that).  I didn't agree with the move and I busted his balls good for it, even more so I think because I was on vacation, but my memory fades.  I got off the phone with him and called him back a little while later, after I cooled off a bit and apologized for being a asshole, and helped him as best I could with his move(s), hung up and everything seemed cool.  I'm not sure if I was the last one he spoke with or not, but I got back from vacation like a day later and he was gone. 

Still think about that, much more than I probably should. 

I'm telling you guys I can't stop thinking about him.  I don't understand it.  I keep hoping he'll pop in and say this was all a huge misunderstanding.  I don't get it.  I only herfed with him a few times, messaged back and forth a few...but damn I'm really feeling it.  I wish I could have done something if I had known or paid more attention.  I know many feel that way but it's just such a damn shame.  It might be cliched to say but the world is a darker place with Jon gone.

Never met him but I remember reading a lot if his posts back in the day. Always entertaining and he will be missed here.

I feel the same way man. I know there are a lot of us with some guilt wishing that we may have been able to do more for him. At least try to reassure him that things can always get better. I know a lot of people have expressed anger about it because he had so many he could have turned to, not realizing how many people really cared for him, but in the end no one but Jon really knew what going through his head. Regardless, I'm going to miss the hell out of him because he was more than an acquaintance on CP, he was a friend.

Several friends and a family member have committed suicide in my lifetime. The first was a classmate when we were only 19 years old. He's buried a few graves away from my father. To this day I'm still angry as hell at him for throwing his life away. Each of these people were male and each killed themselves the same way - gunshot to the head. My cousin did it in his parents bedroom. Another stuck a rifle under his chin in the parking lot outside of work. In each case, nobody saw it coming and everybody was left asking the same question - 'Could I have saved him?'. The answer is 'no'. Just like them, Jon made his mind up and only Jon could stop himself. Nothing anybody here did or didn't do had any impact on his act.

If there truly is an afterlife, I hope that Jon is at peace and his demons have been put to rest.

I got this devastating news the other day and still can't believe it. I took my daughter to a herf at Gavins and Jon was there. I gave her the news and a tear came to her eye and she said " No, not SoulPuppy." RIP brother. You will be sorely missed.

Godspeed Jon. A band of angels sing thee to thy rest.

I'm so saddened by this. My thoughts and best wishes are with his family. 

I have to ask the question. Are we sure it was suicide? I may have missed something, or possibly someone knows a bit that was not made public.
I don't know what sort of injury he was recovering from. Is it possible it was an accidental overdose or bad mix of meds?

I had many interactions with Jon. He certainly was larger than life, and I never saw him approach anything without a good measure of gusto.

He was also, regardless of his sometimes aggressive defense of this board, quite trusting and childlike in his respect and awe of those with more years on this earth. I always appreciated that about him. Respect for elders seems to be dying these days. 

I continue to stop for a moment of silence when he comes to mind. I honestly feel that we honor his spirit by doing so. Separating the possible deed from the doer in the ideas and ideals of forgiveness.

Again, Godspeed, Jon. Whomever you are destined to be a guardian angel to is certainly blessed.

Out of respect for Jon, I would think it best to honor his memory and keep specific details and those discussions off the public forum.

MilesMingusMonk said:
Out of respect for Jon, I would think it best to honor his memory and keep specific details and those discussions off the public forum.
Agreed. As Matt and I find out details, if folks want them, just send a PM. I'm planning on calling a few folks tomorrow to see if I can find out more about what happened.

Wow. So very sad. Sad that a good life has ended. Sad that he had to feel the depths of dispair. Sad for his friends here. Sad for his family. Blessing and prayers to you all and to his family. Live and love every day as best you can.