• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Spirits Pass Review Thread

Old Ezra 7 year.

deep Amber color

nose: caramel, vanilla, orange, cookie dough

pallet: burnt caramel, oak, up front

middle is where the heat starts

finish is long: orange, caramel, wood and spice

this one almost begs for a few drops of water to dilute its 117 proof

edit: added a few drops of water and this really opened up. Added flavors nuts, cinnamon, clove 👍. Highly recommend

Last edited:
Old Ezra 7 year.

deep Amber color

nose: caramel, vanilla, orange, cookie dough

pallet: burnt caramel, oak, up front

middle is where the heat starts

finish is long: orange, caramel, wood and spice

this one almost begs for a few drops of water to dilute its 117 proof
Totally agree, or an ice cube helps a lot!!! Fun spicy flavor. Wish it was more available

01D267D4-B06F-432A-92B1-3AE008E5E7A3.jpeg
Johnnie Walker Double Black

really like this!! The nose is mildly peaty with sweet hay.
Sweet honey and orange on the palate with a mild burn but very well balanced.
Finish leaves iodine, oak, and vanilla lingering.
gonna throw a couple of dashes off my orange thyme bitters in with it and see what it does.

Dan and I did a little trade/blind taste recently. He took a picture of his selections and I picked three I wanted to try and he was to add to it, three more that would be blind. In turn, I would do the same for him. I have just finished the blinds, so I thought I'd post my impressions, with the hopes that Dan will tell me what they are!!!

First off, here was all 6 samples lined up, 3 I picked and 3 are blind.

10yr Redemption Rye, Barrel Bourbon, Rhetoric 23, Blind 1, Blind 2, Blind 3.

1.jpg

I don't know why, but I chose to drink the blinds in reverse order (3,2,1).

So here is Blind #3 with my impressions:
2.jpg

Great color and aroma. Nice deep amber with a sweetness on the nose.

Poured it over a large cube, which allows me to catch it pretty straight at the beginning and then slowly open it up as the big cube melts a tad. The sweetness was all there on the first taste. I'm not great on identifying the specifics, but I'd take a stab and say caramel, vanilla, and possibly maple.

I would guess this is a bourbon, possibly single barrel, and higher content on the corn for the mash bill. I'm probably being swayed by the sweetness to think that though.

This was a super smooth, and very flavorful pour. I really enjoyed it. I would compare it to something like Blanton's if you forced me to. I'd guess it was somewhere around 95-100 proof.

Blind #2 with impressions:

3.jpg

#2 was slightly lighter in color and slightly more mild in aroma. I did not pick up a bunch on the initial nose. Nice looking pour though.

I poured this one across bullet cubes, which was not ideal, but I was out of my large ones.....poor planning. However, before I poured it, I did do a neat pour for myself so that I could give a taste without water. Nice pour it was. Sweetness was toned down as compared to the Blind 3, but flavor was all there. I'm not getting a big rye punch, and that sweetness is there....just muted a bit. I guess I still have to think this is a bourbon...meaning predominately corn for the mashbill.

Not too hot, but a tad hotter than Blind 3, I'll go somewhere around 100 proof I think. There is definite oak and spice in the profile, maybe some leather, and dare I say tobacco but minor.

Good long finish, smooth, maybe some nice caramel on the finish. I liked it, maybe not quite as much as Blind 3, but I liked it quite a bit. I'd have to think it has at least 7 years on it. I might compare it to a Heaven Hill Bottled-in-Bond or a 10 Year McKenna. Maybe in between those two.

Lastly, my impressions on Blind #1:

4.jpg

This one was distinctly different, and unfortunately not in a good way for me. Quite honestly there was little that appealed to me. That doesn't mean it wasn't quality in its own way, but it was pretty evident immediately that this isn't something I would typically buy or enjoy. But that's part of what I like about the blinds, learning and growing.

Nice color to it, albeit light amber, it was a very pretty liquid. Nose was strange to me. Not much sweetness, maybe a lot mor earthiness or smoke.

The first taste was fairly strong to my taste buds. I'm getting a lot of raisin/plum. There seems to be some peat in here......is this a scotch? If so, that'll explain everything else I've said to this point. I've just never been able to get into scotch. I'm not certain that's what we have here though. I've had many a single malt whiskey in the past few years that will have small similarities to mild scotches. It's possible that's what's going on here. But whatever it is, it isn't something I really enjoy.

Unfortunately for me, this one was thumbs down. I certainly enjoyed the experience and had fun trying to figure it out, but overall it had too much smokey/peaty/earthy tones that I typically only like in small doses. If I had to guess I'd say this is a mild scotch (Highlands or Speyside) or it could be a Single Malt Whiskey.

Not saying this isn't a good looking glass of juice. It is, and it's not offensive. It just wasn't my bag.

Thanks again for the experience @CgarDan it was fun. I still have the Rhetoric 23 to taste. I want to do it side-by-side with my 25. So I'm holding off. I hope you enjoy your selections and blinds as well.

Cheers.

Dan and I did a little trade/blind taste recently. He took a picture of his selections and I picked three I wanted to try and he was to add to it, three more that would be blind. In turn, I would do the same for him. I have just finished the blinds, so I thought I'd post my impressions, with the hopes that Dan will tell me what they are!!!

First off, here was all 6 samples lined up, 3 I picked and 3 are blind.

10yr Redemption Rye, Barrel Bourbon, Rhetoric 23, Blind 1, Blind 2, Blind 3.

View attachment 38329

I don't know why, but I chose to drink the blinds in reverse order (3,2,1).

So here is Blind #3 with my impressions:
View attachment 38330

Great color and aroma. Nice deep amber with a sweetness on the nose.

Poured it over a large cube, which allows me to catch it pretty straight at the beginning and then slowly open it up as the big cube melts a tad. The sweetness was all there on the first taste. I'm not great on identifying the specifics, but I'd take a stab and say caramel, vanilla, and possibly maple.

I would guess this is a bourbon, possibly single barrel, and higher content on the corn for the mash bill. I'm probably being swayed by the sweetness to think that though.

This was a super smooth, and very flavorful pour. I really enjoyed it. I would compare it to something like Blanton's if you forced me to. I'd guess it was somewhere around 95-100 proof.

Blind #2 with impressions:

View attachment 38331

#2 was slightly lighter in color and slightly more mild in aroma. I did not pick up a bunch on the initial nose. Nice looking pour though.

I poured this one across bullet cubes, which was not ideal, but I was out of my large ones.....poor planning. However, before I poured it, I did do a neat pour for myself so that I could give a taste without water. Nice pour it was. Sweetness was toned down as compared to the Blind 3, but flavor was all there. I'm not getting a big rye punch, and that sweetness is there....just muted a bit. I guess I still have to think this is a bourbon...meaning predominately corn for the mashbill.

Not too hot, but a tad hotter than Blind 3, I'll go somewhere around 100 proof I think. There is definite oak and spice in the profile, maybe some leather, and dare I say tobacco but minor.

Good long finish, smooth, maybe some nice caramel on the finish. I liked it, maybe not quite as much as Blind 3, but I liked it quite a bit. I'd have to think it has at least 7 years on it. I might compare it to a Heaven Hill Bottled-in-Bond or a 10 Year McKenna. Maybe in between those two.

Lastly, my impressions on Blind #1:

View attachment 38332

This one was distinctly different, and unfortunately not in a good way for me. Quite honestly there was little that appealed to me. That doesn't mean it wasn't quality in its own way, but it was pretty evident immediately that this isn't something I would typically buy or enjoy. But that's part of what I like about the blinds, learning and growing.

Nice color to it, albeit light amber, it was a very pretty liquid. Nose was strange to me. Not much sweetness, maybe a lot mor earthiness or smoke.

The first taste was fairly strong to my taste buds. I'm getting a lot of raisin/plum. There seems to be some peat in here......is this a scotch? If so, that'll explain everything else I've said to this point. I've just never been able to get into scotch. I'm not certain that's what we have here though. I've had many a single malt whiskey in the past few years that will have small similarities to mild scotches. It's possible that's what's going on here. But whatever it is, it isn't something I really enjoy.

Unfortunately for me, this one was thumbs down. I certainly enjoyed the experience and had fun trying to figure it out, but overall it had too much smokey/peaty/earthy tones that I typically only like in small doses. If I had to guess I'd say this is a mild scotch (Highlands or Speyside) or it could be a Single Malt Whiskey.

Not saying this isn't a good looking glass of juice. It is, and it's not offensive. It just wasn't my bag.

Thanks again for the experience @CgarDan it was fun. I still have the Rhetoric 23 to taste. I want to do it side-by-side with my 25. So I'm holding off. I hope you enjoy your selections and blinds as well.

Cheers.

Loved the reviews Wyatt! Anxious to see how close you are.

Great reviews Wyatt

here are the bottles

#3 is my next favorite in the Redemption Series after the 10yr rye

DC66523B-EDF9-4F86-8F6E-A0F51BD5F1A2.jpeg

#2 is in fact High West Burye Definitely a solid pour but probably a step or two below the previous bottle

5C2B6FC4-C91F-4FD9-8813-76D8005CDB68.jpeg

#1 is premium single malt. I think due to its age and being what it is it should be tried neat no ice. I honestly find it very pleasant and smooth. Is it worth the $400 price tag that comes with it. Not sure about that. But would love to hear from other scotch enthusiasts like Bill @CigSid

4A8DC142-258F-43B6-9A3D-F9CADF41B268.jpeg

I believe that my package was received by the office staff so I will be posting my reviews shortly.

By the way if anyone else is interested in a similar trade I am always ready 😎

Great reviews Wyatt

here are the bottles

#3 is my next favorite in the Redemption Series after the 10yr rye

View attachment 38342

#2 is in fact High West Burye Definitely a solid pour but probably a step or two below the previous bottle

View attachment 38343

#1 is premium single malt. I think due to its age and being what it is it should be tried neat no ice. I honestly find it very pleasant and smooth. Is it worth the $400 price tag that comes with it. Not sure about that. But would love to hear from other scotch enthusiasts like Bill @CigSid

View attachment 38344

I believe that my package was received by the office staff so I will be posting my reviews shortly.

By the way if anyone else is interested in a similar trade I am always ready 😎

Awesome! Well, some hits and misses there. I never would have said Rye on those first two. Man, they just seemed to sweet so I kept thinking bourbon. But I’m not mad, I just found two more Ryes I gotta have.

As for the Single Malt, I did pretty well on that one. But again, it’s not that I thought it was low quality, it just isn’t what I go for. That’s why it was easier to pick out, it had things that are signature single malt.

Lots of fun Dan. Thanks!

Edited to add: You are right, had I known up front what #1 was, I would’ve gone neat on it. It would have done better that way for sure. That’s my mistake. If I could do again I’d start them all neat and only add ice if I felt it needed it.

The Grand Cru is really smooth and complex. You are right Dan, it must be enjoyed neat in order to get the creamy mouthfeel and sweet finish.

Last edited:
Today’s review Blind no 1

beautiful golden color

trying neat first

BCB079DA-0664-4122-952D-17956F64405F.jpeg
Nose: fruity with sandalwood and nuts. Would suggest smoothness but I feel this has serious power at the same time

Up front hazelnut, nutmeg

it develops its complexity with spice and malty nuances Definitely high proof above 100 if i had to guess

now poured the rest over a large ice cube to see how this changes

273E2B63-58CF-41A6-BCE2-AC4D5549C2F6.jpeg

aroma is muted as expected

flavor is full on spice with some bitterness. Unfortunately the ice cube took away the pleasant complexities so this one is much better neat

overall very solid pour with high rye content.

Blind no 2

First trying neat

020A1C0A-89C1-48A4-9B50-DE31F0555826.jpeg
Lovely amber color

on the nose: sweet spice, oak, caramel

up front orange peel, dark chocolate, a bit of cinnamon

further some notes of leaver and and baking spice. This has more of a dry vs an oily character

now that’s it’s been in a glass for like 5 min I am getting almost a rum cake aroma. These tastings will make me devour all the sweets in the house lol

Finish is long and very pleasant. I am definitely liking this more than blind no 1.

put in just a bit of ice not to dilute it too much but want to see the changes in flavor

3F5ED56A-F22D-4671-8283-2EA9CC2593BE.jpeg

Not much changed a bit more spice is showing up but otherwise the same.

this is also a powerful spirit the ice did almost nothing to subdue the high proof bite. This is at least 104-105 proof of not more Once I will get the reveal will try to acquire a bottle of this for sure

Blind no 2

First trying neat

View attachment 38411
Lovely amber color

on the nose: sweet spice, oak, caramel

up front orange peel, dark chocolate, a bit of cinnamon

further some notes of leaver and and baking spice. This has more of a dry vs an oily character

now that’s it’s been in a glass for like 5 min I am getting almost a rum cake aroma. These tastings will make me devour all the sweets in the house lol

Finish is long and very pleasant. I am definitely liking this more than blind no 1.

put in just a bit of ice not to dilute it too much but want to see the changes in flavor

View attachment 38412

Not much changed a bit more spice is showing up but otherwise the same.

this is also a powerful spirit the ice did almost nothing to subdue the high proof bite. This is at least 104-105 proof of not more Once I will get the reveal will try to acquire a bottle of this for sure
This is great to watch!! I may have to jump on one of these with someone in a few weeks. Great review man!

@CgarDan I knew you would like this one. My limited knowledge on your taste had me reaching for it for sure. I’m glad I was right. The only downside here is that it’s only available in this version at the actual distillery in Denver. I brought it back with me on a trip there.

You are correct, another high proof....sorry, I like’em raw.

DD8C2003-C0F9-4E95-BCBC-D161216C5DA0.jpeg

@CgarDan I knew you would like this one. My limited knowledge on your taste had me reaching for it for sure. I’m glad I was right. The only downside here is that it’s only available in this version at the actual distillery in Denver. I brought it back with me on a trip there.

View attachment 38413
Great bottle!! I’ve had a chance to try that once and it’s great.

View attachment 38413
I love everything Stranahans!!!

They sell one that appears similar with a yellow label in stores. It is neither cask strength nor single barrel......and it is a far cry from this one....but it’ll do for a daily drinker.

Blind no 3 today

this one has the deepest color of the 3

29E22D5D-16FB-409B-B70B-24F77A6AC0B2.jpeg

aroma is vanilla , caramel,

up front graham cracker , wood and nuts

this is oiler than no 2 and also full proof but probably slighter lower than no 2.

as it goes down the spice develops with lots of sweet undertones. I am probably wrong here but I am getting a hint of cherry wood.

this one is too pleasant to dilute.

would be a very hard Choice to pick between 2 and 3 for the favorite. I think no 3 has a slight edge Really looking forward to this reveal.