• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Stone VE 11.11.11

emoshun

SoCal Herfin'
Stone Vertical Epic 11.11.11

How Stone’s Brewmaster Mitch Steele describes it.

Appearance:
The Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale pours a deep amber with a cream colored head of foam.

Aroma:
The Belgian yeast strain we used this year has more pronounced banana aromatics than the clove flavors produced by some of the yeast strains we have used in past years. Mixed in with the banana esters are toffee malt notes, hints of spice — clove and cinnamon — and a trace of very mild green chili in the back. The aromas all blend together incredibly well.

Taste:
Upfront, the yeast-derived banana flavors are blended very nicely with toasted and toffee-like malt flavors, fruity esters, and balanced hints of cinnamon. Mid palate the Perle and Pacific Jade hops and the Hatch green chili flavors come through. The beer finishes dry, and bitter with just the most subtle of hints of chili heat and a touch of alcohol.

Overall:
Not your typical chili beer! The famous mild green chilies from the Hatch Valley in New Mexico add layers of delicious flavor with a very mild heat component. The base beer itself is very reminiscent of a European amber beer, with Perle and Pacific Jade hops, Munich and other roasted German and Belgian malts, hopped and brewed to a very Stone like 65 IBU and 9.4% ABV. Cinnamon is a wonderful spice if used judiciously, which we did here-it doesn’t by any means dominate the beer’s flavor, but definitely adds a subtly complex spice note that blends amazingly well with the banana esters and green chili.

ABV: 9.3%
IBU: 65
OG: 20.5°P
TG: 2.5°P
Malts: Pale, Crystal, Munich, CaraBohemian and Special B
Hops: Warrior, Target, Perle and Pacific Jade

Thoughts on this brew? Anyone chasing it?

-Jimmy

I bought a case of 10.10.10 last year, and I'll be sure to buy one this year!

I would love to pick up a couple bottles some for now, some for later just like last year.

Yes, I will try and buy as much of this as I can. I really like Stone beers.

Last year's Epic was pretty damn tasty. I'll be buying this year's.

Was not a fan of 10.10.10. whatsoever.... I do have a bottle of 07.07.07, and 09.09.09, and will at least buy a few of these to try out/cellar.

Was not a fan of 10.10.10. whatsoever.... I do have a bottle of 07.07.07, and 09.09.09, and will at least buy a few of these to try out/cellar.

My thoughts exactly, it was like a sour spritzer due to the incorporation of wine. It was like the hops were replaced with grapes...

Did not live up the moniker "Vertical Epic", when I think epic I think of a brew that will have you talking about it for months/years, not one that gives you the sour shivers. ???

The first epic I had was 09.09.09 and really liked it. I wasn't keen on 10.10.10. I'll give the new one a shot.

It wasn't the wine characteristic that I disliked, but rather the type of grape. They used a very earthy grape, which really upset the balance of the beer. Add some pedio or lacto to give it a bit more tartness and maybe it would have a shot.

Bsneed and I tried the VE 10 and both liked it a lot. It was the first one we were able to try. Does anyone know if the 11 will be available anywhere Stone is distributed? We are in MO and just started to be able to get it locally in the last year. I would really like to track some down.

I don't know if it will be available in your area but I'm sure some of us here can get you guys some.

Bsneed and I tried the VE 10 and both liked it a lot. It was the first one we were able to try. Does anyone know if the 11 will be available anywhere Stone is distributed? We are in MO and just started to be able to get it locally in the last year. I would really like to track some down.

Stone typically distributes the epic's and other special releases to their entire distribution area. I would expect you to get it but if not let me know, happy to help you and Brent track it down.

Stone typically distributes the epic's and other special releases to their entire distribution area. I would expect you to get it but if not let me know, happy to help you and Brent track it down.

Thanks. I'm in the process of trying to track some down. If that falls through I may hit you up if we don't see it here.

I've picked it up in Memphis before so you people in MO should be good. Nice to Denverdog around these parts again.

Anyone on the hunt? Man, our biggest liquor chain isn't getting it today. Maybe next Friday? Who knows.....I was looking forward to the chase....lol

It is being released today and most stores West of the Mississippi should see it next week. Just depends on what day they get that distributors truck. Most the stores in my area are getting it on Thursday.

I went to Stone earlier this week and got to meet the head honcho of Stone, had him sign my hat, and he bought me a pint of AB Oaked. That was cool.

They were selling VE by the bottle there but I didn't pick one up just yet. Probably should have, whoops. Good luck to the rest of you!