• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Storage Location

DapperDan

Hey fellas. So I have a bit of a problem on my hands and am hoping that the wisdom of the CP community can help me out. When I first moved to Denver the daily temps were averaging around 100 and the humidor was holding rock steady at 72/70, pretty damn hot but I was running the AC, set it to 75 and went to work for the day. This was all fine until my first power bill came, $125, wayyy too much so I have been turning the AC off when I leave for work only problem is I come home from work and while the humidity is holding fine at %70 the temp is WAYYY too high, 80-84, I have the humidor is my walk in closet which is dark but obviously not cool. Just wondering if you guys have any good storage ideas as to where I can keep my humidor while I am out and the AC is not running.

In the basement if you have one. Otherwise keep the A/C AT 79 during the day.

yup, no basement otherwise that would be my first choice. Problem is with daily temps hitting 95-100 the AC runs almost all day and I cant afford $120 power bills. I have had this problem before and thankfully I did not have any tobacco beetles hatch and eat my sticks so the temp doesn't worry me TOO much but it is still something I would like to get under control.

A fan should do pretty well to keep air moving and fairly cool during those hot days. Or a small portable AC keep your closet cool while keeping utility costs down.

I have a ceiling fan in the bed room that the walk in is attached to but the temp spkies still occur on a regular basis and I left all my box fans in storage, I may have to go out this weekend and grab one and place it inside the walk in and see if that helps any.

Is it a wood humidor or a cooler? If it's a cooler, wet a towel and throw it over the cooler, that might help.

I had similar problems at home and finally decided to bring my humidor to work. But I do work in a lab environment, so the building's temperature is regulated throughout the weekend as well. I know that some companies will turn off the AC during weekends.

I freeze EVERY cigar I get because it kills the beetles larvae. I live in Fort Collins area and the temps may hit high 70's, but have not had a problem with beetles since I started freezing them.

Im in Fl. I wish my power bill was 120. lol
I have a vinotemp that works great

Don

Im in Fl. I wish my power bill was 120. lol
I have a vinotemp that works great

Don

I'm with Don I live in NH and wish my power bills were that low. I put two window units in to keep my second floor cool and moved my cabinet upstairs. Last 2 months it has been great 70/70 but bill is +$235 a month.

But back at it you can go to Target or Walmart and grab a wine cooler for $50 or so that will do it.

good luck.
Paul

If I can make you all feel better, I live in Hawaii and my electric bill is $600 something dollars. I don't run the AC in the house 24/7, but my walk in has a window unit that does.

My long range plan is to smoke all the cigars until I just have a 300ct. humi and I can leave that under a cabinet.

yeah right.

I freeze EVERY cigar I get because it kills the beetles larvae. I live in Fort Collins area and the temps may hit high 70's, but have not had a problem with beetles since I started freezing them.

Ditto.

Another idea is to put the ac on a timer. Maybe on around 10:30 and off at 3:00 during the hottest times of the day.

The most cost effective thing to do is get a wine fridge. That will keep your mind at easy and your pockets a little deeper for more smokes :)

The most cost effective thing to do is get a wine fridge. That will keep your mind at easy and your pockets a little deeper for more smokes :)

Good point. Sometimes deals can be found on craigslist.

Just a thought,stop playing with the AC. People shut it off when they go to work then on again when they come home.
Some place them on timer. My advise would be to STOP playing with it. The AC has to hit its target temp.
That means cooling the walls, furniture, everything in the room. Once that is done, the "cost" of getting you to that
point is the $$$$. After that, you are maintaining that temperature.

My AC will come on after everything is cool, when it needed. By "playing" with it on, off, on, off, "not here, I'm home"
mindset no wonder the cost is so high.Pay to get it there once, and stop playing with it.Get a AC unit that has a
energy star rated that will maintain a room by coming on when needed. Cool just one room, like your bedroom and place the Humi in there.
Just remember to set it and walk away......

Just a thought,stop playing with the AC. People shut it off when they go to work then on again when they come home.
Some place them on timer. My advise would be to STOP playing with it. The AC has to hit its target temp.
That means cooling the walls, furniture, everything in the room. Once that is done, the "cost" of getting you to that
point is the $$$$. After that, you are maintaining that temperature.

My AC will come on after everything is cool, when it needed. By "playing" with it on, off, on, off, "not here, I'm home"
mindset no wonder the cost is so high.Pay to get it there once, and stop playing with it.Get a AC unit that has a
energy star rated that will maintain a room by coming on when needed. Cool just one room, like your bedroom and place the Humi in there.
Just remember to set it and walk away......

Huh?

IS it truely getting that warm in the closet? Could be that the AC controller reads 80 but you are cooler in the closet. Other than what was been mentioned already you can get heat reflecting curtain liners. I have them in the south west corner of my house and they can easily knock the temperature down in that room by 8 -10 degrees.

-E

Totally forgot this one. Why not put your humidor in a cooler? They will be insulated. You can always put a blue ice pack thing in a dish to keep it cool before you leave for the day.

-E

A fan should do pretty well to keep air moving and fairly cool during those hot days. Or a small portable AC keep your closet cool while keeping utility costs down.

I have a ceiling fan in the bed room that the walk in is attached to but the temp spkies still occur on a regular basis and I left all my box fans in storage, I may have to go out this weekend and grab one and place it inside the walk in and see if that helps any.
A fan does nothing to lower the temperature unless the surface of what it is blowing on is wet or the air that it is blowing is cool. It called evaporative cooling. Having a fan blow air on your humidor will do nothing to lower it's temperature ... unless you wanted to wet the humidor down, which I don't recommend.