• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Storage question - short term

Jesuswept

Oh, the horror!
I only have a 300 ct humi and just ordered my first box :)
Should I just take the sticks out of the box and let them rest naked in my humi?
Right now I don't plan on any long term storage (years) for my smokes. I figure this humi will be my daily smoke humi and I will just buy a coolidor when I start buying to age.

PS. you guys are sooooo right.... ALWAYS BUY A LARGER HUMIDOR THAN WHAT YOU THINK YOU NEED.

I've been buying smokes on a daily basis now and just can't stop.

This is just my opinion, but yes take them out of the box. If that's going to be for short storage only you don't wanna waste space with boxes. Keeping cigars in boxes is better suited to long term storage in a rather large humidor/coolidor. You'll save time and you don't need the box anyway and your humidor should be lined with spanish cedar.

Jason

yeah, I just wanted to make sure. I'm sure I will end up having some smokes in my humi for over a year or so but at the rate I'm going I have to buy a coolidor.

I think he means if I'm not long term aging them; I should just save space and take them out of the box.

I would kind of worry if I started piling different types of sticks on top of each other. I read that the flavors won't mess together if I do but I would like to keep some organization.

MichiganM said:
This is just my opinion, but yes take them out of the box. If that's going to be for short storage only you don't wanna waste space with boxes. Keeping cigars in boxes is better suited to long term storage in a rather large humidor/coolidor. You'll save time and you don't need the box anyway and your humidor should be lined with spanish cedar.

Jason
[snapback]277701[/snapback]​

What he said. That said, if your humi is not yet full AND the box is cedar (as opposed to a paper covered dressed box) you might as well just leave them in the box if the box will fit. You can always take them out later as space gets tight. In any case, the extra wood will help minimize the effects of humidity swings as you open and close the humi.

Wilkey

Ginseng said:
MichiganM said:

Jason

What he said. That said, if your humi is not yet full AND the box is cedar (as opposed to a paper covered dressed box) you might as well just leave them in the box if the box will fit. You can always take them out later as space gets tight. In any case, the extra wood will help minimize the effects of humidity swings as you open and close the humi.

Wilkey
[snapback]277748[/snapback]​

Got to agree with Wilkey1 if the box can fit you might as well keep!

When it gets tight in the Humi the cooledor will be ready for long term stoage and you can relocate the box (or the remains of it).

:thumbs:

Ginseng said:
MichiganM said:

Jason

Wilkey
[snapback]277748[/snapback]​

I agree, the box will also help protect your cigars. If you are constantly moving your cigars around then some of them may become damaged on the foot or the wrapper. If they are still in the box you won't have that problem.

Keep them in the box and cellophane (if applicable) for as long as you have room. This will prevent damage.

Go ahead and start working on your coolerdor.